Hello anyone from scandinavian deaf person here?

Sadie Lennox

Reaction score
hello everyone,

I'm new here. I'm looking for Norway and Sweden deaf people because I just learned new history about my family who lived in Norway/Sweden in 1800s. I have several letter that my great grandma wrote it and all of them are in Norway/Sweden Language. I would love to understand what she wrote from that language to english words.

Welcome, I would use Google translate to read the norway/Sweden language. I hope you are able to read the letter.

Welcome. I am Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. I have been doing ancestry research for years. I found a lot of info about my ancestors, but then I got stuck trying to read the Swedish records. They were from the late 1700's. So I've been trying to learn the Swedish language but I'm being slow-pokey at it. :)

I originally started when my mother asked me to track down her parents' marriage certificate. To this day I still haven't found it despite many, many hours of searching. Makes me wonder what they were up to. :)

Hi Sadie, maybe just find some fb or other groups of Swedish or Norwegian people learning English, that way they can translate for you and in return you help them with English.

Besides that on here, there are a few Swedish people I think, otherwise look for international Deaf groups online :)

Welcome, I would use Google translate to read the norway/Sweden language. I hope you are able to read the letter.

Hi there, I tried on google translate. My great grandma wrote handwriting letter. I try to get their words like (æ, å, etc) and most words are not match.

Welcome. I am Swedish, Norwegian and Danish. I have been doing ancestry research for years. I found a lot of info about my ancestors, but then I got stuck trying to read the Swedish records. They were from the late 1700's. So I've been trying to learn the Swedish language but I'm being slow-pokey at it. :)

I originally started when my mother asked me to track down her parents' marriage certificate. To this day I still haven't found it despite many, many hours of searching. Makes me wonder what they were up to. :)

I'm working on ancestry too, I found a lot about history of Scandinavia that I didn't know that part of me in my family. I also found out that my great grandma's last name was different when she moved to North America, on the citizenship, it said her last name was Oleson but in Norway, it said Vestbakken Pedersdatter.

That's why I want to find out more. I found my long distance cousin who living in Norway, he can't read and write English.

Hi Sadie, maybe just find some fb or other groups of Swedish or Norwegian people learning English, that way they can translate for you and in return you help them with English.

Besides that on here, there are a few Swedish people I think, otherwise look for international Deaf groups online :)

Thanks! I did looking their international groups, I couldn't find anything. If you find one, I would be appreciate if you can share it.

Sadie, there was confusion too with the early records for my family name. They indicated a different last name than when they came to America. I find ancestry research very interesting.

Maybe contact her, she will probably have some contacts that can help you out :)

Hey,
I know someone who speaks Norwegian and she would probably be willing to translate it for you.
Do you want to text me?

Back