Hello, Another Newbie!!

mimimama

Reaction score

Hello, I have looked around for awhile but Haven't introduced myself so here goes! I am 32 and have progressive late deafened sensorineural hearing loss. Got my first pair of hearing aids in 1996 with mild to moderate loss and now I have no residual hearing in my right ear and about 11% in my left (which is better than that with hearing aids). I am considering getting a CI in my right and come here for some info.
I have four children my oldest one is 9 and my youngest is 2~ I am still adjusting after all these years of hearing loss. Seems like just when I get myself to accept it things get worse again. Each time I got pregnant my hearing loss diminished because of constant colds or allergies. Love my kids though and they were worth it no matter if I can hear them or not. My kids are my life and I honestly can say if I didn't have them I would be in the looney bin. Cause I drive my family and myself crazy sometimes.But now at least I have company!:laugh2:
I do have questions about the CI I haven't seen on here and if anyone who has them would like to chime in I would appreciate it.
First of all and I know this is a childish question but how much pain are you in afterwards? I didn't expect this to be an outpatient surgery because I mean they are drilling a hole in your head. You wouldn't think they would send you home 8 hours later. Right? Just wondering.

Then, how did you choose which CI brand to get and which CI do you have and do you like it have problems with it etc. Heard the Advanced Bionics was awesome but that was from their forum.lol It is currently on recall and that kind of scares me.

Also is there anything that you would recommend I ask my ENT about before choosing this surgery. I have my first appt on Aug. 1st. I am excited yet still not sure if I am going to do this.

I do not know ASL nor does anyone in my family know ASL . I am from a small town in Ohio that has nothing for the deaf and hard of hearing that I am aware of.

Thanks so much sorry it is so long! It has been fun reading everyones posts and little arguements over the last year or two!

Hello welcome to AD enjoy on reading posts cochlear implant and HA :)

Welcome!

You don't have to answer this if you don't want, of course, but what part of Ohio are you from? I'm in Ohio myself and I've found some decent resources in my area.

Good luck, and I hope you find the information you're looking for!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back