hello all! just checking this all out: )

deafannieboo

Reaction score
I'm new to this but just wanted to see what it's all about. I like it so far. I live in a small Texas town near the Mexican border. There isn't much of a Deaf community here. I am 26 yrs old and late deafened. I lip read and my signing is def improving! I am a Violinist of 18 yrs.and a writer among many other things. I am hoping to one day be excepted more into the Deaf community. Since I was born and raised hearing I have been thrown into a whole other world since becoming deaf. Lyme Disease has resulted in my deafness. Notice I did not say loss of hearing because to be honest I can't say I miss hearing all that much. Which I know may seem kinda odd. I have become accustom to being deaf and it has opened my eyes to a wonderful world! I have learned many valuable lessons in my journey and am greatful for the ride!
Well, I hope to meet and befriend many people in the Deaf community. It's nice to read other peoples posts on this web site. :wave:

:welcome: to AD! I didnt know that Lyme disease can cause deafness.

I didn't know that about Lyme either!

:wave:deafannieboo! I am new hoh. I sign some ASL.

hi guys!
yeah i have whats called chronic Lyme Disease. just means ive had Lyme so long that it has altered my joints and has moved to cranial cavity. thats how it causes deafness and yes blindness also. my vision is going down hill now days as well which is a horrible thought to me, to be deaf and blind. i am most independent person i know and love to be so. to lose vision threatens that. i mean i can see ok but nothing like what i use to be. i have to change my eyeglass perscription like every three mths! yikes. its almost as rapid as my hearing loss was.
my advice to the world is to research lyme disease. it was once said that one in four americans have Lyme and don't know it!!! ud be amased!!!!

I didn't know that about Lyme either!

:wave:deafannieboo! I am new hoh. I sign some ASL.

hi dogmom! hi doug.
dogmom, how ya hanging in there HOH? it was rough for me but in time i learned the tricks... best advice i can give to anyone hoh is to be strict about making people talking to you face you. it will help u to learn to lip read and can help clarify when you dont hear something properly. also to talk in well lit room w little background noise to distort speech. also tell people to try and talk one at a time around you so that you can follow conversations easier wout getting left behind.
its no fun being the last one to laugh at a joke because u had to have it repeated! im sure in time youll get the hang of it all. i do feel that you and i have both found the right place at alldeaf. this seems to be good stomping grounds for those in need of survival tools! drop me a line anytime. good luck on ur journey!:wave:

Back