Helllo!

Donut_Kitty

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Charlotte and I am a 20 year old Pharmacy student from England.

I am not diagnosed as hard of hearing but I think I may possibly have some problems. I suffered fairly bad ear infections quite frequently when I was younger and I'm pretty sure my ear drum popped everytime (always woke up with dried pus-type stuff on the pillow and the pain would be gone).

Nowadays I suffer from days where the slightest move of my head will trigger dizziness, very frequently one of my ears will feel "plugged up" with a lovely high pitched tone in it for a few minutes at a time and if I sleep on one side at night the ear on that side will feel full and I will have some yellowish fluid in my ear canal in the morning.

PLUS I have no volume control, I think I'm talking at a perfectly reasonable level and people are telling me to SHUTUP and it's really embarassing/annoying. I also struggle to hear with lots of background noise or on the phone. If you're facing away from me or in another room I've got no chance of hearing you in the slightest.

I've been to a doctor who checked for wax and then decided that "well some people just naturally have a little less hearing" or something to that degree. So yeah, I've always had an interest in British Sign Language and I took classes when I was younger (I went to a school that had a service especially for deaf students and they taught us hearing students BSL so we could communicate) and I also took some classes a few years ago. I would love to carry on my studies but it costs too much. :(

Sorry for the essay, lovely to meet you all!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Well, if you have a mild hearing loss, then maybe you can try having an hearing aid to help you hear and understand what people are saying. Anyway, you will learn a lot about our deafness, our deaf perspectives, Deaf Culture and many other topics on the forum. I do hope you can do the BSL (British Sign Language) to communicate with other deaf people in your area. :thumb:

Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AD! Hope everything goes well!

Hello

Welcome to AllDeaf :welcome:

I'm new here as well, but it seems to be a friendly and welcoming place to join.

Back