Heather Whitestone is coming to Dallas

illustrator

Reaction score
On Tuesday, August 19, we will be having Heather Whitestone McCallum in our studio as a special guest doing an interview with James and Betty Robison. Heather was Miss Alabama in 1994, and went on to win the title of Miss America in 1995. To date she is the only deaf woman to hold the title of Miss America. Deaf since birth, in 2002 Heather was surgically fitted with a cochlear implant and can now hear as a result of the device.

Our studios are located in Euless, Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area). Each week, we extend invitations to the public to be part of our live studio audience for our tapings. All tickets are complimentary, and we will be providing a person to sign for the entire program. Please see the event details listed below:

Event: Television taping of Life Today with James and Betty Robison
Guest: Heather Whitestone McCallum, former Miss America
Date: Tuesday, August 19
Time: 7:00 p.m. (seating at 6:30)
Place: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Address: 1801 W. Euless Blvd, Euless, Bldg. C
To reserve free tickets: call 817-267-0040 x4810 or
e-mail requests to audience@loi.org

Feel free to check out http://www.lifetoday.org for more information on who we are and what we do. Please contact me with any questions you might have.

I am in NY, so i am not going there and besides if I was in Dallas, I still don't think I would go anyways

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Isn't Heather Whitestone really overhyped in media?
That's not so. Mrs. McCallum only wanted to show that cochlear implant is working so well for her and it can work for some other deaf people.

Originally posted by Brian
That's not so. Mrs. McCallum only wanted to show that cochlear implant is working so well for her and it can work for some other deaf people.
Heather does not have any deaf pride in herself... If god made me this way so I have to accept it!

Well, in some ways it'll be a positive outlook for those who are seeking advices about the cochlear implant and how it functions, etc. Of course, in other ways, it can have a negative aspect to it -- due to the deaf community being adamant against cochlear implants.
I just hope that I won't be critized for acquiring a cochlear implant, I got it merely out of curiousity of how it worked and see if it'd do any good for me, etc. I didn't get the cochlear implant to spite the deaf community at all.
Despite the fact that I have an implant, I still consider myself Deaf. :)

Originally posted by pimpdaddyposse
Heather does not have any deaf pride in herself... If god made me this way so I have to accept it!

To be honest, this kind of comment makes my eyes roll.

Sorry, but I'm not trying to insult you or anything.

I have to say that Deaf Pride has absolutely NOTHING to do with cochlear implants.

It is a choice, and it is considered personal.

People are not obligiated to please the Deaf community. You have to understand that Deaf Pride itself is considered a way to cover up our weakness by many or just to feel more secure about our identities.

I am into humanity.

I don't take pride in being white, deaf, male, my feet, my eyes, and whatever.

I take pride in myself as a human being. I don't think of myself as a specific race or disabled one.

I think of myself as a human being, nothing more. It is my goal to become a successful person.

It doesn't matter where I go, I will always take pride in being a human being.

Not as a Deaf person, not as a White person, not as a Man.

... but as a Human Being!

It's all about choices and they are personal which means it's none of your business to begin with.

Myself, I wish we weren't divided into different groups. I meant, why do we have to be in a specific group?

I think it's really unnecessary. After all, it's the cause of many wars to begin with.

Just look at the Muslims and the Christians, they have a strong history of having wars with each other.

Hitler, he was responsible for killing a countless amount of deaf, jew, black, blind, mentally challenged, physically challenged, and many more.

Hitler tried to create a "Perfect" race.

But he failed because there was no such thing as a perfect race.

I just wish everybody would become united rather than just being in different groups and set off wars based on their backgrounds.

Now, do you think of yourself as a human being or a Deaf person?

I'll like to think of myself as a human being, not a Deaf person.

Putting myself into a specific group is just plainly nonsense to me.

:applause: I'd have to agree with Banjo because to lump a whole race into categories would be unfair for a human being. He/she is unique by him/herself. It is how you accomplish in life that makes you proud to be yourself. I wouldn't want people to generalize me because I know I have accomplished so much in life and for someone to tell me I have no pride in myself. He or she doesn't know me well enough or hasn't travelled a mile in my shoes to experience life as myself. :D

Originally posted by Banjo
To be honest, this kind of comment makes my eyes roll.

Sorry, but I'm not trying to insult you or anything.

I have to say that Deaf Pride has absolutely NOTHING to do with cochlear implants.

It is a choice, and it is considered personal.

People are not obligiated to please the Deaf community. You have to understand that Deaf Pride itself is considered a way to cover up our weakness by many or just to feel more secure about our identities.

I am into humanity.

I don't take pride in being white, deaf, male, my feet, my eyes, and whatever.

I take pride in myself as a human being. I don't think of myself as a specific race or disabled one.

I think of myself as a human being, nothing more. It is my goal to become a successful person.

It doesn't matter where I go, I will always take pride in being a human being.

Not as a Deaf person, not as a White person, not as a Man.

... but as a Human Being!

It's all about choices and they are personal which means it's none of your business to begin with.

Myself, I wish we weren't divided into different groups. I meant, why do we have to be in a specific group?

I think it's really unnecessary. After all, it's the cause of many wars to begin with.

Just look at the Muslims and the Christians, they have a strong history of having wars with each other.

Hitler, he was responsible for killing a countless amount of deaf, jew, black, blind, mentally challenged, physically challenged, and many more.

Hitler tried to create a "Perfect" race.

But he failed because there was no such thing as a perfect race.

I just wish everybody would become united rather than just being in different groups and set off wars based on their backgrounds.

Now, do you think of yourself as a human being or a Deaf person?

I'll like to think of myself as a human being, not a Deaf person.

Putting myself into a specific group is just plainly nonsense to me.
You're right... it's a choice... I didn't know why I said about my comment in first place for... I guess I wasn't thinking clearly... I was too buzzed.. You're right we are human, not labeled as deaf. That goes for anyone with races, religion, disability.. they are just human... somebody :slap: me for my comment!

When I said overhyped...I meant that she's setting a bad example to the hearing society that all deaf people can be like her.

I've seen many hearing people mention to me that I should get cochlear implant (even I already had one and they didn't notice it) if I wanted to be able to speak fluently with hearing people like Heather did. That would be educating misinformation or setting a bad example for those hearing people.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
When I said overhyped...I meant that she's setting a bad example to the hearing society that all deaf people can be like her.

I've seen many hearing people mention to me that I should get cochlear implant (even I already had one and they didn't notice it) if I wanted to be able to speak fluently with hearing people like Heather did. That would be educating misinformation or setting a bad example for those hearing people.

I certaintly agree with SG. I am disappointed because heather thinks that Deaf children will speak well like her. But not.. most of the Deaf children will be always be Deaf and difficult to speak.

I am curious, do you accurately speak when you got your cochlear implant ? SG ??

that is really :bsflag:

Originally posted by Sabrina
I certaintly agree with SG. I am disappointed because heather thinks that Deaf children will speak well like her. But not.. most of the Deaf children will be always be Deaf and difficult to speak.

I am curious, do you accurately speak when you got your cochlear implant ? SG ??

No....you misunderstood me.

It's not Heather who thinks that Deaf children will speak well like her.

It are those hearing people who WATCHES Heather saying that she has a cochlear implant and talking well..then they think that all deaf people would be LIKE her if they had cochlear implants.

I've already spoke accurate before I got the cochlear implant. Some people thinks that after I got my cochlear implant, the accuracy of my speech has rose. I really think it's just this type of efforts I put into it to improve myself.

No....you misunderstood me.

It's not Heather who thinks that Deaf children will speak well like her.

I was referring to heather's site. She said in her site that, she thinks that cochlear implant would be excellent for younger children and encourage parents to training them learn to speak.

If I find heather's site, I will quote when I will have a chance.

Interesting about your accurately speak. ;)

I only can speak F** You perfectly speech. :lol:

I not need to know about her brag about her CI or her life is perfect...not really perfect, I know her mom and she hurts my parent when I was kid so I felt sorry for Heather to take those herself in the life with deaf and hearing worlds.... I wish her BEST LUCK and wish she could talk to me when I had talk to her when we were in classes.. That is too bad! She is Oral (me signing) *sigh* I not know to say since it is hard for her and others.....

Well, Heather Whitestone shouldn't be blamed for setting that bad example. It's just how the human society is by learning all the information and making a judgement too early without making sure that they got proper information.

I've read Heather's website and I understood why she had a cochlear implant. The media has made it too overhyped about a "Miss America" getting cochlear implant to "cure" herself. She didn't do that...she did that because of a parental instinct. It might have happened to me if I had kids too. Maybe it's because she has a hearing husband though. I ponder on what if her husband was deaf...would she still have gotten cochlear implant. Part of me is saying No. Other part is saying Yes.

What do you think?

Originally posted by Sabrina

Unfortunately, many deaf children who have CI implanted early DO speak well. FYI.

Go look up some statistics rather than using misinformation, please. It doesn't justify being spread around by deafies who use it as the truth to try to block something which "supposedly" will destroy "their way of life"... Right?

Brenden

pimpdaddyposse said:

Heather does have a her own pride, so pissed off and respect her wish!

Back