hearing test for preschooler

Aorora111

Reaction score
Has anyone here gone through a test for a three-year-old? I'm HOH, and we have concerns our son might have a mild hearing loss because he is having speech problems and when I say a word he repeats what he hears, but if I repeat it directly in his ear, he gets it better. It seems that he hears, but it is a clarity issue, or just laziness in his speech. I don't know. I'm just concerned it's hard to test, especially since I don't have the most cooperative child in the world, but there's concerns about him "listening" and I need to make sure it is not a hearing problem because I don't want him labeled as bad because he can't hear like me. Can they test well that young?

A

Yea they can...Matter of fact, my 18 month old son will go for a hearing test next week cuz there is suspicion that he may be hard of hearing. He passed his first hearing test when he was born but it was for deafness. He is definitely not deaf but may be HOH so we will find out next week.

Contact your dr or an audiologist and I am sure they will have info.

Last edited:
Has anyone here gone through a test for a three-year-old? I'm HOH, and we have concerns our son might have a mild hearing loss because he is having speech problems and when I say a word he repeats what he hears, but if I repeat it directly in his ear, he gets it better. It seems that he hears, but it is a clarity issue, or just laziness in his speech. I don't know. I'm just concerned it's hard to test, especially since I don't have the most cooperative child in the world, but there's concerns about him "listening" and I need to make sure it is not a hearing problem because I don't want him labeled as bad because he can't hear like me. Can they test well that young?

A

Yea they do test them that young. They usually put them them in a sound proof room with speakers with lots of toys and games and 1 audi will be in one room with you and your child and another audi will be in another room testing the sounds at different megahertz to see what he will respond to. In the meantime, the audi in the room with him will be playing games with him. My daughter was'nt the most cooperative child either, but when she would get tested she usually did pretty good because she had fun playing games with the audi. Basically they play with shapes and toys of that sort and are asked to drop the toy in the bucket or whatever when they hear the sound from the speaker.

Back