(hearing) teaching/learning?

heatherruns

Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions for learning ASL and teaching it to my 5 year old? I do not know anyone who is deaf. I feel like such an idiot but figuring out the signs printed on a book I got is not going so well! My daughter saw a character on a show using ASL at her friend's house and said she'd like to learn to communicate with people who can't hear. I went online, and I'm totally intimidated reading some posts/responses on other forums about us "hearing" people. I do recognize it's a culture not just a means of communication and that the grammar is different than spoken English. I do think it's a great idea, and she's stuck with wanting to learn. I tried learning some from pictures online but have no clue if I'm doing it right. I tried looking for a class for her but am having trouble finding it (though of course I might just not be finding it.) I am worried that just like every language, without seeing it regularly it won't become even fluent enough to even get points across and be anything but frustrating for anyone with whom we may eventually interact.

I am in north metro Atlanta.

Thanks for suggestions or comments. :)

You can try ASL pro.com. It will not teach you how to form your sentences, but it will teach you signs. Look to the books for structure or whatever you're lacking. There are a lot of words on there, I tell everyone about that site. I'm sure there are others and everything, but this is one I know of that friends have used and I've been impressed with its accuracy personally for the most part. Good luck to you.

I started my babies at birth with simple signs like "you eat" "goodnight" "good morning" "I love you" "thank you" "more please" "nice to meet you" ... and just worked on it from there. im taking asl classes now so I can teach them more formal asl but for a child to be able to tell a Deaf person thank you or excuse me in my experience has made all the difference for now. libraries have videos for kids to learn also.

Back