Hearing students cheating!!!

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
I teach ASL at a cmmty college. After completing the Midterm and most of my students left, two students came to inform me that there were a couple of students in the left-hand corner in back of my classroom making loud noises giving each other questions and answers. One student said he did not like that and another student said that he was having a hard time focusing.
I already warned those students in the back corner prior to the Midterm not to use voice at all. Obviously, they did not. What should I do? Most of my students have been good to me. Should I start over? What kind of testing do you recommend?
I am deaf and I don't use hearing aids. Is there any way to give the students tests without using assistant from outside. The school Dean told me in the begining that they did not want a volunteer placed in my class as my assistant ( my former student offered) and they have a tight budget for hiring an "assistant.
Is there any organization or forum for professors teaching ASL that I can contact for advice?
Thank You!
Sqrrl.

I teach ASL at a cmmty college. After completing the Midterm and most of my students left, two students came to inform me that there were a couple of students in the left-hand corner in back of my classroom making loud noises giving each other questions and answers. One student said he did not like that and another student said that he was having a hard time focusing.
I already warned those students in the back corner prior to the Midterm not to use voice at all. Obviously, they did not. What should I do? Most of my students have been good to me. Should I start over? What kind of testing do you recommend?
I am deaf and I don't use hearing aids. Is there any way to give the students tests without using assistant from outside. The school Dean told me in the begining that they did not want a volunteer placed in my class as my assistant ( my former student offered) and they have a tight budget for hiring an "assistant.
Is there any organization or forum for professors teaching ASL that I can contact for advice?
Thank You!
Sqrrl.

Report these students to the Deaf of Students, and fail them on their midterm. You can contact the ASLTA in your state for advise on teaching. They have not only cheated by refusing to follow directions, they have also blatantly attempted to take advantage of your hearing status and have behaved in a completely disrespectful manner. The school is obligated to provide you with what you need in order to do your job. Tight budget is not an excuse for not providing you with a TA if you need one.

Does your community college have a testing center?

Most of these testing centers are designed to separate students and are under close watch by cameras and people.

For instance, the community college that I used to go to... they have a testing center.

When you walk in, there's a bunch of shelf-spaces on the right for students to store their belongings. On the left is a counter with a big office space behind it and a bunch of filing cabinets on the back and side wall. You give them your ID and tell them what class you're there for. They will look up the folder given by your professor and pull out your test. Sometimes, there are special rules such as... no calculators allowed, a specific book is permitted, etc. You will then be sent through another door into the back room full of desks. Each desk is labeled with a color. These colors represent the type of class you're taking. They're separated so that students in similar classes can't sit next to each other. (Chair 1 is Math. Chair 2 is English. Chair 3 is Science. Chair 4 is Government. Etc.) Along the wall in the back room are desks that are separated by small walls so that students can't look at anyone else. Between the office area and the testing room, there's a huge glass that the workers can see the students from. There are also 4 cameras in the testing room.

If you don't have a testing center like that, you could develop random tests. This works best if your test involve true/false, multiple choice, and matching. Since most cheaters share answers with letters, they're likely to fail because the test are different.

On one test, "What is 2 + 2?" The answers are A 2, B 3, C 4, D 5. On another test, "What is 2 + 2?" The answers are A 5, B 4, C 3, D 2. Cheaters are likely to ask "What's the answer to #5?" "Oh, it's C." Busted!

However, if the test was fill-in-the-blanks... that could be difficult since they simply share the word and you can't really randomize the answers. You would have to randomize the questions instead. Yet, those cheaters would think something was up if they both realized that their questions were different. ;)

Report these students to the Deaf of Students, and fail them on their midterm. You can contact the ASLTA in your state for advise on teaching. They have not only cheated by refusing to follow directions, they have also blatantly attempted to take advantage of your hearing status and have behaved in a completely disrespectful manner. The school is obligated to provide you with what you need in order to do your job. Tight budget is not an excuse for not providing you with a TA if you need one.
It would be hard to do something like that based on the word of another student. Perhaps, those students could be asked to retake the test separately?

I have been considering to request an interpreter for the rest of my remaining quizzes and the Final. To assist me "hear" my class. I don't think my school have a testing center as vampryoX described.

When I was in my ITP a deaf man teaching ASL at a high school asked our program for a student to come and be the "hearing police" (my term) during a test. This was a purely volunteer position, no payment required. I know you don't want outside help but this worked really well -- I simply told the students I would report any noise I heard and they behaved like angels -- and perhaps you could arrange for something similar.

That's terrible that college aged students are so immature and disrespectful like that to take advantage of your deafness in such a blantant way.

The other suggestions in this thread seem very helpful and I would take their advice if I was going thru the same thing.

Good luck!

Thank You!
Sqrrl.

I would fail them if that were my class. They'd get a BIG fat F- 0.0 on that mid term!!!!!!!!! There should be no place for cheats in college -- Asl classes or not. They need to learn a lesson and they need to learn it the hard way. That's the only way they're going to learn.

Sometimes there is hearies that take up Asl just because they think it will be easy. Its actually insulting. These kids obviously don't respect deaf culture.

When I was in my ITP a deaf man teaching ASL at a high school asked our program for a student to come and be the "hearing police" (my term) during a test. This was a purely volunteer position, no payment required. I know you don't want outside help but this worked really well -- I simply told the students I would report any noise I heard and they behaved like angels -- and perhaps you could arrange for something similar.

Excellent Idea!!!!

AH when I was at college not too long ago,,, I remember a teacher caught a student cheating on the test and kicked the student out. I was like jaw dropping watching what happens. But I am glad I studied whew! ha. Since you posted hearing student cheats... don't forget that deaf can cheat too. It goes both ways.

AH when I was at college not too long ago,,, I remember a teacher caught a student cheating on the test and kicked the student out. I was like jaw dropping watching what happens. But I am glad I studied whew! ha. Since you posted hearing student cheats... don't forget that deaf can cheat too. It goes both ways.
Yep! Fingerspelling!

I remember when I was in high school. I had an interpreter who was stupid enough to spell out words for me during spelling tests.

Teacher: "Okay, the next word is... discourage."
Interpreter: "Okay, next word... discourage."
Me: "Umm... sign the word again?"
Interpreter: "Discourage."
Me: "Gee... could you spell that for me so I can understand what word you're saying?"
Interpreter: "Okay... D-I-S-C-O-U-R-A-G-E. How's that?"
Me: "Great, thanks!"

I was actually joking. I didn't think she would actually do this to me. I always do this joke with my interpreters and they always laughed back saying, "Hahaha... nice try." However, this only happened with a substitute interpreter that I have never seen before. I guess she couldn't see through my joke. ;)

:D:mrgreen::thumb::rockon::rofl:
Yep! Fingerspelling!

I remember when I was in high school. I had an interpreter who was stupid enough to spell out words for me during spelling tests.

Me: "Gee... could you spell that for me so I can understand what word you're saying?"

I was actually joking. I didn't think she would actually do this to me. I always do this joke with my interpreters and they always laughed back saying, "Hahaha... nice try." However, this only happened with a substitute interpreter that I have never seen before. I guess she couldn't see through my joke. ;)

:D:mrgreen::thumb::rockon::rofl:

Yep! Fingerspelling!

LOL,, funny that also happen to me too lol I guess some interpters are not so careful after all ha ha :giggle:

However, this only happened with a substitute interpreter that I have never seen before. I guess she couldn't see through my joke. ;)

There are days I wish an IQ test were required before an interpreter can be hired. Forget signing skill, forget ethics, what about common sense?

^^^ Very true.

But that actually raises a good point. What if the word is one that either the interpreter or student does not know the sign for, or even know the word itself?

On a different note, I remember 4th grade. We had spelling tests every week. (I was in a hearing class.) My teacher, the idiot that she was, refused to let my interpreter even sign the word. Guess she thought we'd cheat ... So my interpreter had to mouth the word to me and I had to try and guess from that !!!! Ugh!

In past i work as a mentor ( i m deaf) for an interpters careers at comminty college.
Deaf teachers tend to get an interpter (not an vol) to listen whats going on around inside the classroom as the noise (talk in background or whatever) went on an interpenter signs...so ASL students HAS NO CHOICE LOL!

YOMAN!

Yep! Fingerspelling!

:rofl: ... 'Cheaters never prosper'.

Yep! Fingerspelling!

LOL very very sneaky but a good one LOL :giggle:

My name is not Garp; it's Jonah!

At the beginning of every school year, my Junior High science teacher, whom was my homeroom teacher, too, would explain that cheating was a major no-no. He would go on to explain that he'd had a student who wore an electronic device and, in defense, say that it was a hearing aid. The teacher wised up and caught the student. Since then (and he does not share this tidbit with the story), he would review the file of any hearing-impaired student (just to be sure).

My sister would have him as a homeroom teacher, too. Upon the story's finish, all 29 students would look at her as if she was suspect. My sister related this story to me and I'd not given it much mind. Then, of course, I'd gone through the same thing and, yes, all 29 cast their gaze upon me - an audiological suspect.

Funny, funny, funny hearing simpletons . . .

Back