Hearing student in hopes of getting PhD in Deaf Education.

ninyfawn

Reaction score
Hi. I am a hearing person who hope to attend Gallaudent in 2012. I am currently 17 and taking ASL at a high school level. However, my school is trying to end ASL because they don't believe it is a foreign language. In order for the 22 students at my high school we need the funding. I am located in VA and want to go to college for a degree in Deaf Education and hopefully teach children deaf and hearing ASL. I really want to continue my education to know and understand the Deaf Community better. I was looking for donations to help me and my fellow students be able to take ASL 3 next year. Id appreciate any help. Thank you. You can email me at ninyfawn@aim.com if you want to discuss this or have anything to say or any advice. Ive already tried to talk to the school and we have parents involved but it hasnt made a difference because of the money and the fact so many people dont get that ASL is a language and has meaning.

Thanks,

Bre

Hi. Maybe you can get your school to pay if there is a community college ASL program in your area.

Have your school to contact Gallaudet Univeristy about ASL as a foreign language. Gallaudet will quickly educate them. A lot of states have passed laws requiring colleges and universities to accept students who have completed ASL classes as meeting foreign language requirements. I think there might be other reasons why your school wants to drop ASL classes.

Back