hearing so wondering why I cant speak

yo2345678

Reaction score
My hearing son has a classmate with an impant and is now pestering myself to het an implant as he thinks I will be just like a hearing person if I do so. How can I explain this to my son ?

How old's your son? And I'm assuming that you're deaf due to the fact that your son was pestering you to get a CI implant? Just making sure I got the facts down right, smile.
Just tell the kid that you're happy being deaf and don't want an implant.

Just tell him that you're happy the way you are. Also remind him that getting CIs doesn't make you "like a hearing person."

Also remind him that getting CIs doesn't make you "like a hearing person."
Yeah, best case scenerio is that they can make you functionally hoh, or just improve perception of sounds.....Just as with hearing aids, results vary......eg some deaf folks with aids are functionally hoh, while others can only hear enviormental sounds and everything in between.

Also about speech.......Many deaf (and even hoh) kids have a language disorder called apraxia, which inhibits their speech abilty....Like a deaf person could hear really well with aids, but not be able to talk b/c of the apraxia.

maybe this is a good time to explain abt the facts of life to your son about accepting differences?

Some people wonder why I don't get a CI - I just say it's not right for me. If they persist, it'll only serve to annoy me because that reminds me of bible thumpers wanting to "convince" me - but if I remember correctly, it takes more than convincing to get a CI - it has to take commitment and readiness.. as well as a desire. I lack all of these for a CI so I wouldn't be a very good candidate.

Chances are if you see a deaf person shrugging at your suggestions of her getting a CI, it's a good hint to shut up about the convincing part. :) LOL

If they persist, it'll only serve to annoy me because that reminds me of bible thumpers wanting to "convince" me
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....Oh man! That's SO true! "We worship at the Shrine of CI! You must get one! CI is the ANSWER to our Salvation!" ......remind you of anything Bree darling? ;)

Yeah... agreed ! !

My son James who is deaf and 3 yrs old now. I cant do to him. Hes SUCH happy boy and trying to talk little with his cutie voice like "no" or "mommy".

What If he have one now.. later in years, like he 18 yrs or whatever.. He might say" why I have it ? " maybe he dont want one ! ! I rather older after 18 yrs old to up.. He can make his decision not mine.
I just hope not that he will not get one in someday...

Or what if other deaf kids will make fun of him...

Here is my son James-
isnt he innocent? :dance2:

Attachments

• james.jpg
    james.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 4
Back