Hearing service dog

I knew someone that had a Great Pyr and the dog was not very friendly with strangers or other dogs and not really good to have around small kids . They do not live long . I think they're a poor chose to use as service dog. The dog has to like being around all kind of people and other dogs so it will not cause people to be afraid of it when it in public places.

They're guard dogs, that's why. Behavior wise, they're very protective of their family and not really "family dogs" per say. They're not the kind of dog one feels comfortable approaching either...all large dogs though don't have the life span of a small dog that's true, but the Great Pry is also just not an easy breed to train so they wouldn't be suitable.

For service dogs - it has to be friendly and respond well being around other people and animals, alert and relaxed and trainable above all else. Breeds thata are highly intelligent and that make wonderful service dogs are: Goldens, Golden doddle, Poodles, Labs, German Shepards, Sheep dogs, Doberman Pinschers, Pit bulls, etc. Some toy dogs are wonderful too but there are many toy breeds and small dogs are just really stubborn and not suited for this - the Dachshund, for example, is a sweet animal but it's almost impossible to train.

Last edited:
:wave:Lau - yep, you're right - the Pyr and the other livestock guardian breeds are meant to work independently and become part of the flock of sheep. This trait is part of what makes them more difficult train in terms of bonding with the handler. Young puppies of these breeds tend to be placed directly with the stock so they develop a protective bond with them specifically. As a group livestock guarding breeds tend not be "good family pets" and are really meant to be outdoor working animals.

Dachsunds are hard-wired for scent and tend to still be more prey-driven and independent also, which again makes it more difficult for them to work in the ways required of a service dog.

"Stubborn-ness" <"stubborn" is a human value judgment> isn't really the thing but what the dog was originally bred for and how much any of the natural tendencies have been bred away from, or bred for.

I wish there were more books on training dogs to be a hearing dog - or just training dogs, period. Amazon shows a few, but they're geared towards the business of training dogs, but very little to do with the actual process. I would love to do this as a hobby because I really enjoy being with animals. I've looked online and these programs cost about $3K which I don't have...I'd just love to learn for the sake of learning. I did buy "Lend Me an Ear" and I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

In my experience as a trainer, there's lots of books discussing the how's/why's of dog training from an individual and canine learning perspective - but I haven't see a lot of books or programs for people who want to learn the specifics of training service dogs, either for themselves personally or to become a "service dog trainer" working at a center like CCFI, for example. I do believe CCFI has an internship or some other similar program but for any of these things, cost certainly does play a big role in the decision!
Dogwise website <Which has a training forum I'm on> does have many publications available and they do categorize them if you wanted to check that out.

In my experience as a trainer, there's lots of books discussing the how's/why's of dog training from an individual and canine learning perspective - but I haven't see a lot of books or programs for people who want to learn the specifics of training service dogs, either for themselves personally or to become a "service dog trainer" working at a center like CCFI, for example. I do believe CCFI has an internship or some other similar program but for any of these things, cost certainly does play a big role in the decision!
Dogwise website <Which has a training forum I'm on> does have many publications available and they do categorize them if you wanted to check that out.

Thank you! I'll look into this, thank you for the info.

They're guard dogs, that's why. Behavior wise, they're very protective of their family and not really "family dogs" per say. They're not the kind of dog one feels comfortable approaching either...all large dogs though don't have the life span of a small dog that's true, but the Great Pry is also just not an easy breed to train so they wouldn't be suitable.

For service dogs - it has to be friendly and respond well being around other people and animals, alert and relaxed and trainable above all else. Breeds thata are highly intelligent and that make wonderful service dogs are: Goldens, Golden doddle, Poodles, Labs, German Shepards, Sheep dogs, Doberman Pinschers, Pit bulls, etc. Some toy dogs are wonderful too but there are many toy breeds and small dogs are just really stubborn and not suited for this - the Dachshund, for example, is a sweet animal but it's almost impossible to train.

The Great Pyr I knew was very protected of his food too and did not like anyone walking near when he was eating . My hearing dog was a black Standard Poodle and he loved people but some people where afraid of him because he was big and black. I was out with my daughter , grandchild and my dog and a Golden lunge out at my small dog. It got me right off guide as
I am so use to Golden being friendly , there is a first for everything and this show that you just will never know what a dog will do. Doberman Pinschers, Pit bulls would not be a good breed to use for a hearing dog , people would be too afraid of them in store or a restaurant. They would find for a police dog or watch dog. I was in a department store dressing room watching my grandchild and had my hearing dog with me and I was told to take my
dog out the dressing room because a woman was afraid of my black poodle.
I refuse to move my dog and said then the woman should move.

:wave:Lau, no problem - a tip, from my training background, though is - if you're interested, look for books and things that discuss CURRENT knowledge of canine learning and communication. Terms and ideas that are outdated and incorrect include things like: "pack theory", "alpha", "dominance" and "likes to please"

I've seen some great stories of Dobe and Pitties as service animals and I think that they should have the chance as any dog <who displays an ability for it> to be service dogs. They can help dispel the myths and fear around that breed/type <for the pit bull is not a breed, but a type, usually representing 4 to 5 different variations or other breeds of dog>

I don't need a hearing dog for being in public situations, mainly for home alerting when I do not have the CI processor on, i.e., night alerts, smoke alarm, phone, etc. I hope to be able to find a dog that I can train with some help. There are people who want the attention a service dog brings, however, for many the alerting for outdoor sounds such as cars, sirens, verbal warnings, etc., can be a blessing and possibly life-saving.

The alpha and dominance ideas as they used to be are wrong but that's not to say I am not the alpha. It's just that you don't need to make your dog submit using force or aggression.

I became the alpha because I am the one in control and I am confident. I think the difference is how people view "control". I control my dog by setting up situations where she will obey me and also where she will succeed. This builds her confidence and trust in herself and me.

Also she knows if she does not obey she will not get what she wants. For instance I will not open the door to let her out until she is sitting and she must stay until I release her or she will have to come back and do it all over. This makes me the alpha but not in a way that will make her skiddish or scared or is abusive.

Once she completely understands what she needs to do I also use small amounts of "pressure" for reinforcement but only a occasionally because we've made training fun and she loves it.

johnny, "alpha" really is behaviorally inaccurate. It comes from a small, flawed study of captive wolves that has then been thrown into all dog and human encounters. Captive wolves behave differently than wild wolves in actual genetic family groups, and wolves behave VERY differently than dogs.

Wolves in general do not have "alphas" in the way that humans have liked to use that term with dogs.

But you correct about control .....for me, it's about being a benevolent leader as opposed to making a dog do something to avoid being frightened, worried or stressed. Dog gets to go outside if she sits at door first. No sitting, source of good stuff <going outside> goes away. Baby puppy bites human hands because she doesn't know any better and she doesn't know that human household rules and canine group rules are different - so human goes away, therefore source of fun <the hand> goes away.

When I was in college I remember seeing someone on my campus with a hearing dog.

Sounds like you and I are on the same page. I've just always thought of "alpha" as leader. I am the leader in the sense that she looks to me for commands and guidance.

Also there is more than just a moral implication to making a dog "frightened, worried or stressed" as you pointed out. A stressed dog will not LEARN! I can't believe people when they yell at their dog for something it doesn't understand and think that somehow the dog will just figure it out.

Johnny, YUP!

Lotta times dog that is shut down - won't do anything, doesn't try, mouth closed, ears back, head down, looking away, very still- dog has stopped responding, therefore stopped learning because they have found people un-predictable or scary since nothing people do makes any sense except that it causes some kind of aversive condition....but some training methods look at the dog and say s/he is "is submissive" or has "calm, submissive energy".

I've also noticed that these types of training methods seriously underestimate the about of time a dog needs to be well behaved. Although training for me may only be 3 times a day 15 min at a time my dog is always being conditioned. Rarely is she left to her own devices. Many of the bad habits dogs get are from self reinforcing activities that if they where just never allowed to happen wouldn't be an issue to begin with. I feel that they are just looking for quick fixes instead of raising a dog right.

Also spending a lot of time with my dog helps me to understand how she thinks so I can be a better trainer.

hearing dogs

I am currently training my third Hearing Service Dog, She is a Beagle I named Molly. She will be trained to alert me to different sounds such as; my name, the door, alarms, and help me determine location from which sound is coming. In my free time I also like to help other people in training Service Dog to assist them. I have worked with Hearing dog (obviously lol), Autism Service Dog, and Wheelchair Assistance Dogs. Would like to meet other people with Hearing dogs too! :)

yes I would. my name is Skypony. I think that service dogs are so cool. I once had a pug breed of dog. I heard that breed of dog was popular with deaf people. I don't have him anymore, because I moved into a place where I can't have pets. But, I adopted the community dog named Charlie. He's a red tick hound and he's a mountain dog. He's trained to keep wildlife at bay from the house. My question is after you train a dog to be your service dog, can you get him certified and still keep him?

:yesway:
I wish there were more books on training dogs to be a hearing dog - or just training dogs, period. Amazon shows a few, but they're geared towards the business of training dogs, but very little to do with the actual process. I would love to do this as a hobby because I really enjoy being with animals. I've looked online and these programs cost about $3K which I don't have...I'd just love to learn for the sake of learning. I did buy "Lend Me an Ear" and I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

I would check the library or any book store. Perhaps youtube.com for videos and tricks to teach your dog. Using treats is good. Keeps the calories down by breaking treats in 1/2s and 1/3s. The more you teach your dog, the more intelligent he or she will be. Don't forget to take breaks. Take dog for walk and play play play. Reward with toy or play after school. This way learning is fun and not a chore like it is for my dog. I have to get some dog treats when I get paid again.

:yesway:

I would check the library or any book store. Perhaps youtube.com for videos and tricks to teach your dog. Using treats is good. Keeps the calories down by breaking treats in 1/2s and 1/3s. The more you teach your dog, the more intelligent he or she will be. Don't forget to take breaks. Take dog for walk and play play play. Reward with toy or play after school. This way learning is fun and not a chore like it is for my dog. I have to get some dog treats when I get paid again.

When my pup was young I started training 5 to 10 min at a time and kept it fun. I don't use treats I just use her food. I measure out how much food she needed for the day and she got it as rewards in training. Once she learned something rock solid I stop using treats. Doing the task is very rewarding to her and then she doesn't come to hand every time. That can be a pain in the field.

:wave:Lau, no problem - a tip, from my training background, though is - if you're interested, look for books and things that discuss CURRENT knowledge of canine learning and communication. Terms and ideas that are outdated and incorrect include things like: "pack theory", "alpha", "dominance" and "likes to please"

I've seen some great stories of Dobe and Pitties as service animals and I think that they should have the chance as any dog <who displays an ability for it> to be service dogs. They can help dispel the myths and fear around that breed/type <for the pit bull is not a breed, but a type, usually representing 4 to 5 different variations or other breeds of dog>

Those dog may be great service dogs but if a person plans on bring their service dog everywhere they could run to trouble . I know hearing dogs are allowed to stores and restaurants etc but some mangers give a person a hard time as they do not want their customers already in the restaurants
to start freaking out. A Dobe and Pitties service dog should only be given to a person that not afraid to speak up for their self .

yeah, I do think you're right that a handler with any of the "guardian" breeds or any of the Bully-related dogs would need to be able to stand up for their rights even more so because they need to advocate additionally for the dog due to people's fears-

I don't need a hearing dog for being in public situations, mainly for home alerting when I do not have the CI processor on, i.e., night alerts, smoke alarm, phone, etc. I hope to be able to find a dog that I can train with some help. There are people who want the attention a service dog brings, however, for many the alerting for outdoor sounds such as cars, sirens, verbal warnings, etc., can be a blessing and possibly life-saving.

Any smart dog would alert anyone to some danger. I had to bring my hearing dog everywhere because a guy that used to live here complained Finlay bark the whole time I was gone. The guy was an asshole , he locked me out of the during the winter and lied about my dog all the time. I really do not like having attention when I go out and I also did not like having people ram their shopping wagons into my back because I could not hear them trying to pass me. I used a cane now and some woman was all over me wanting to know if I was hurt and I hate people making a fuss over in public.

Back