Hearing Person Wanting to Learn

apell2012

Reaction score
Hi. I am a woman that can hear and I have always been interested in learning ASL. I can not imagine how hard it can be for you in a hearing world and I find it only fair if people want you to fit in they should also take the steps of learning your language as well. If anyone would like to chat and maybe show me a thing or two it would be greatly appreciated. You all seem like you are wonderful people. You are just misunderstood. :)

Hi! This is most certainly an awesome thing to want to learn. Have you tried looking up videos on YouTube?

Don't believe everything on youtube because some of the sign language videos are just made up signs.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

ldsoccergirl said:
Don't believe everything on youtube because some of the sign language videos are just made up signs.

Or ASL students doing video assignments etc (in poor ASL).

Really the best way to properly learn ASL (or any language) is to take a proper, certified course. For ASL you want to find a class taught by someone who's Hoh or Deaf because they're able to provide additional cultural and social information that you can't get from hearing teachers (other than CODA).

If you work in a job where you interact witht he public, or in an educational environment you may be able to get funding from work to take ASL classes.

This is really the best way to learn :)

For GOOD ASL videos online, look at people like Keith Wann (codawann on youtube) etc.

i am using startasl.com there is free classes and also pay for classses I just started but it is already helping

Back