Hearing Person Looking to Practice ASL :)

dsigurdson

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Devon and I am currently learning ASL (I'd also consider myself a beginner). I will not be in another ASL class until August and I do not want to get rusty. I've been looking into getting involved in the Deaf community where I live but I'm also not really sure how to go about doing that (mostly because I'd like to get better at signing before I really try).

Since I started taking ASL classes I have completely fallen in love with the language and would like to find someone or multiple people who would be willing to help me, I'd also say that a fair amount of patience would be involved!

Anyway, I'm so happy to be here and I can't wait to meet some of you! :)

Hello all!

My name is Devon and I am currently learning ASL (I'd also consider myself a beginner). I will not be in another ASL class until August and I do not want to get rusty. I've been looking into getting involved in the Deaf community where I live but I'm also not really sure how to go about doing that (mostly because I'd like to get better at signing before I really try).

You shouldn't have much trouble finding your way around the Deaf world in DC. I can safely say you won't run out of people to sign with lol

hey

Hi. I am also hearing and I am trying to learn asl. Its really fun and I love the culture. I m glad I joined this site! I'm from a small town, but I'm moving to a bigger one on august 9th :roll: mixed feelings. My parents don't really support me on asl but its something I love. I have tons of books and videos on lerning asl. Its harder and a slower process when you are being self-taught.

I'm hearing and have been involved with the deaf community for about 4 1/2 years now. I'm almost fluent, so if you need anything, I'm here. :)

Thank you so much guys! It's been a while since I've checked this so that's why my reply is so late! But if you'd like to Skype let me know! I'm starting an ASL 2 class at the end of August so that should really help me!

Wirelessly posted

I'd be happy to help. I'm a little rusty, but if you have any questions, just ask. By the way, I'm also hearing, but I've known ASL for years

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I'd be happy to help. I'm a little rusty, but if you have any questions, just ask. By the way, I'm also hearing, but I've known ASL for years

Thank you so much! My Skype name is devon.sigurdson if you'd like to skype a bit! My first ASL class ended in May so I haven't really used much since then so I'm super rusty!

TRY GOING TO Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup

They have ASL Meetups with people who are just learning, fluent and just want to meet new people, or looking to improve. I go with my boyfriend once in a while - its easier for him to have a stranger critiquing his grammar and vocab (he gets flustered if I correct him)

Back