Hearing people suck (well not really)

P

pinkster

I dont know how many of you know that I work for a bead store, which means i work in retail. I may not work on the sales floor but I am required to go up on it to restock stuff that I process.

Now, I have been here at my job for a year and almost 4 months. In that period of time I've experienced people being rude to me (for fact that I am deaf) minimally.

Rude customer number 1 - This happened some oh say about 2 or 3 months after i started working. I was putting stuff away as usual, and i didnt realize a customer was standing right next to me (i was sitting down.) I looked up and I said "Oh! Im sorry, Im deaf....." *customer walks away* "if you could repeat what you said while looking at me i may be able to read your lips and eventually help you, but no you had to go and be a bitch and walk away from me." Naturally she was gone by then but I was SO mad.

Rude customer number 2 - Last week a co-worker (Jayne) brought a customer to me, since Jayne didnt know how to answer her question and she knew I would. This lady, was an absolute bitch. Jayne let her know that I am deaf so she'd need to look at me when she talked, and all of the sudden it was as if i was a fucking little kid. She asked me the same question like 3 or 4 times and I gave her the proper answer the first time, and said the exact same thing each other time. Only because what I said was true. "We do not carry this color in that size, only the size you see it as." *huffs* After they left, Jayne came up and apologized, she said she knew the woman was a bitch but didnt think she'd be that bad. She said its stupid that people talk down to me like that, and I told her it happens often, but not to a point where I actually care.

Rude customer(s) number 3 - The same week as rude customer #2, there were 2 ladies in my manager's department looking for stuff, and again, I was restocking. Bad lady number one asked me a question, and I replied with my standard line (i didnt understand her) which is "Im sorry, Im deaf, could you repeat that for me one more time, a little more clearly?" And *bam* I didnt exist to her. It was as if i never said anything, never stood there for 10 mins holding a lot of junk in my hands for the store, or even said anything. I flamed, and then went back to restocking. Bad lady number 2 (who was only like 3 feet away from me when i repeated my standard line) asked me a question, and proceeded to talk around me, not at me. I repeated my line, and she looked at me as if i was retarded. Then she just talked to me as if i was 5 years old. I gave up, walked to the register, got a post-it note and wrote to my co-workers - "those customers over by the seed beads are BITCHES. They were rude to me just because i said im deaf." And then I said i was going to leave my junk there and go downstairs before i blew a fuse and yelled. I came back 10 mins later, and bad lady #1 tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to pull something off the wall for her because she's short. I willingly obliged.

Now, thats the end of that. But dont you hate it when hearing people are like that? I can talk as clearly as the next person, and hell, i work on the sales floor sometimes, but only sporadically. I am an able bodied human, i function well in almost any situation, i can walk, i can interact with other people (with difficulty or not, doesnt matter), I can read, i can write, im NOT RETARDED.

*huffs* :D

I know what you mean. My wife treats me like that. She hates repeating herself. I am not deaf, just hard of hearing. I probably should get hearing aids, but it doesn't really bother me that much. My wife treats me like an idiot. Why can't she just look at me when she talks? She is all pissed if she says something in the next room and I don't hear it. She stomps into the room I am in and gets all huffy and says, "Didn't yo hear ME!?" I'm saying like a dimbass, "Uhhh . . . you said something?" Fuck that.

I have a couple of friends who are hearing and fluent in ASL. They like to go into Denny’s and pretend they’re deaf. Some of the comments they get are hilarious - like the little kid who asked his mother "mommy, what are they doing?", and the mother replied "shhh! They’re deaf—don’t stare". Another was a moron trucker who asked the waitress "what the hell are they doing over there?" The waitress replied "I don’t know—I think they’re deaf". And the trucker replied "well, it looks stupid to me".

These are the retarded ones.

pinkster said:
I dont know how many of you know that I work for a bead store, which means i work in retail. I may not work on the sales floor but I am required to go up on it to restock stuff that I process.

Now, I have been here at my job for a year and almost 4 months. In that period of time I've experienced people being rude to me (for fact that I am deaf) minimally.

Rude customer number 1 - This happened some oh say about 2 or 3 months after i started working. I was putting stuff away as usual, and i didnt realize a customer was standing right next to me (i was sitting down.) I looked up and I said "Oh! Im sorry, Im deaf....." *customer walks away* "if you could repeat what you said while looking at me i may be able to read your lips and eventually help you, but no you had to go and be a bitch and walk away from me." Naturally she was gone by then but I was SO mad.

Rude customer number 2 - Last week a co-worker (Jayne) brought a customer to me, since Jayne didnt know how to answer her question and she knew I would. This lady, was an absolute bitch. Jayne let her know that I am deaf so she'd need to look at me when she talked, and all of the sudden it was as if i was a fucking little kid. She asked me the same question like 3 or 4 times and I gave her the proper answer the first time, and said the exact same thing each other time. Only because what I said was true. "We do not carry this color in that size, only the size you see it as." *huffs* After they left, Jayne came up and apologized, she said she knew the woman was a bitch but didnt think she'd be that bad. She said its stupid that people talk down to me like that, and I told her it happens often, but not to a point where I actually care.

Rude customer(s) number 3 - The same week as rude customer #2, there were 2 ladies in my manager's department looking for stuff, and again, I was restocking. Bad lady number one asked me a question, and I replied with my standard line (i didnt understand her) which is "Im sorry, Im deaf, could you repeat that for me one more time, a little more clearly?" And *bam* I didnt exist to her. It was as if i never said anything, never stood there for 10 mins holding a lot of junk in my hands for the store, or even said anything. I flamed, and then went back to restocking. Bad lady number 2 (who was only like 3 feet away from me when i repeated my standard line) asked me a question, and proceeded to talk around me, not at me. I repeated my line, and she looked at me as if i was retarded. Then she just talked to me as if i was 5 years old. I gave up, walked to the register, got a post-it note and wrote to my co-workers - "those customers over by the seed beads are BITCHES. They were rude to me just because i said im deaf." And then I said i was going to leave my junk there and go downstairs before i blew a fuse and yelled. I came back 10 mins later, and bad lady #1 tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to pull something off the wall for her because she's short. I willingly obliged.

Now, thats the end of that. But dont you hate it when hearing people are like that? I can talk as clearly as the next person, and hell, i work on the sales floor sometimes, but only sporadically. I am an able bodied human, i function well in almost any situation, i can walk, i can interact with other people (with difficulty or not, doesnt matter), I can read, i can write, im NOT RETARDED.

I feel ya !! It happen to me in the past ... where i used to work at Sears in Rochester, Mn . few customers has been give me the attutide as they act like i am dumb or something like that ... once i said i am deaf and they say ohhh i am sorry can't u hear anything at all ?? how earth can u do the job here when u can't hear ... they make me feel like i am idoit or something like that... I explain to them i can do the job .. i just do the investory or restock stuffs it isn't hard to do ... Also, one time i think it is funny.... when customers left and look round ... by the times i get off from work to go home .. i walk to the car as that same customer's car is next to my car ... they saw me and run to me say u can't drive because u are deaf it is against law ... It give me disgust but be cool with it ... and i had to pull out my drive lic and show them that i have a right to drive duh ... then that person decide to not let me go as one of their wife run into their car and get the notepad and pen and write ... How can u drive when u can't hear the honk or sirens etc ... I had to explain to them the details ... told them very important to have the car is that three damn mirrors is my "hear" sirens use the light flash ... and honk yup can't hear but i have to be more alert to watch where i am going before i move or change the lanes blah blah blah ... they said ohhh I didn't know that deaf can do drive and work ... wow u have good english .. I said yeah right but thanks anyway... I feel like that i am in low class or something like that .. grrr

I work with Jackass customers all day long too. Sometimes I have to ask them to repeat. I NEVER tell them I have a hearing problem. EVER. They never give me shit about having to repeat. I can hear some though, I just need them to look at me, or on the phone, they need to speak up - i have a nice amplifier on my phone - and turn off their TV . . .

Could you just say, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you." ? Try this too... This is what I do. I say to myself as loud as I can yell it in my head, "FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING BITCH!!!" it gets my anger out of the way right up front, then I can smile and then out loud I say, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. What might I help you with?"

Rude Customers

I can share that experience!! I used to work at a grocery store, where the employees are great and nice, bosses included haha. I bag and restock shelves when necessary. On my second day of work, I was approached by a "nice" (she looked nice and sweet) old lady. She wanted to know where the "kosher foods" were I said Nine in my clearest speech, I even checked with everybody to make sure I could pronounce each aisle number correctly, she looked at me and puts up nine fingers, I smiled and nodded, she said nine? I said Nine again with a smile. She kept asking me "nine?" I realized maybe she spoke spanish or another language so I said Ninente (spanish) and said nine in sign language. She gave me a dirty look and hit me with her cart and said move I'll find it myself.
:fu: to all the rude customers, maybe someday they'll realize that we're deaf and to look at us and be patient when they talk to us!!

also, one funny story but true story it has happen to me ... I was so :jaw: about these situations ... here is the little story (probaly longer one jk)

one of my friend and I decided drive over to their friends house which that young lady who is 24 years old and live with her parents. She does have a job at Wal Mart but her parents has to come and go pick her up or drop her off ... anyway , I just discovered that her mother is school board for deaf programs in rochester, Mn. somehow, that mother brought up about deaf cultures ... and It make me wonder about her (young lady) and decide to ask her mother why that lady doesn't drive ??? her mother said ohhh She can't drive because she have left eye blind which law said it has to be 20/20. i was like :wtf: and told her that she is totally wrong ... She can drive with one good eye as long as she know what is right or wrong way to do the drive and fellow the law . and She said nono u just misunderstand what i said ... She can't drive with that left eye blind ... i was fed up wit hher and pull out my drive lic and show her and show her my eye that i have one left eye blind too ... and showed her the different size between left and right ... She was like :jaw: and said It is against the law ... I said no no it is legal !!! wanna bet ??? she said no no u sound like serious ... i wouldn't take that bet with u ... I said sure it is free bet then ?? she took deal with it .. and take her daughter to MVD center and they let her take test etc .. and she just pass the test ... and she got permit lic ... she was so happy and look for me and jump and give me a huge hugs and tell me a huge THANKS !!!!! and her mother come and apology to me for not believe my story .. but they said they feel much better to let her drive than having stress and tight schedule with errands etc ... they took me out to the supper ... Glad that everything work out for her ... I told her mother if she have any questions about deaf community ... please feel free to ask round deaf peoples they would be more than happy to answer to ur questions so she did ... and guess what ??? i heard that deaf programs got somewhat improvement due to that aware to be developed !

aw.. pinkster.. u're not the only one..

I work at walmart.. sometimes i work on the sales floor, and other times i work in back room..

Well, at the sales floor there's been customers been rude to me some of the times..

Mostly old people..(mens) Are rude.. once i told them " I cannot hear you, could u say it again?" or " i cannot hear you could you please write it down on the cardboard" those two things i usally say to the costumer. Most old guys tend to freak out.. walk away looking for other worker GOD! I hate this!
There are times some costumer say " it's okay i'll find it" bleh.. I get Frustered (sp) and let them go find it.

But i find it interesting that more young peeps around my age, are willing to cooperate with me :)

haha.. One things i wanna tell u a funny one..

I told the old lady " i'm deaf could you write it down on cardboard"
the old lady pointed on her In the ear hearing aid to me then write down on cardboard god.. why would i need to see that? :rofl:

hahaha scuba, lemme tell u Abt my sister I was cracking up at her she and a co worker at work was talking with understanding the co worker had a THICK japense accent, so she was telling ( my sister) to fill up the whip cream for the next shift and the co worker was like * huh ? HUH? huh?* so my sister was telling her THAT do THAT, and started signing to her only to stop herself when she relized the co worker wasn't deaf just had a plm understanding the english verison of doing the job I was laughing at my sister and also :applaud: her efforts to communicate with ALL walks of life! heh

Levonian said:
I have a couple of friends who are hearing and fluent in ASL. They like to go into Denny’s and pretend they’re deaf. Some of the comments they get are hilarious - like the little kid who asked his mother "mommy, what are they doing?", and the mother replied "shhh! They’re deaf—don’t stare". Another was a moron trucker who asked the waitress "what the hell are they doing over there?" The waitress replied "I don’t know—I think they’re deaf". And the trucker replied "well, it looks stupid to me".

These are the retarded ones.
OH MY GOSH!!! That really made me laugh! Thanks for sharing this with me and everyone who read this. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! :thumb:

I am hearing, but I see things like this happen. It's so embarassing that so many people are so oblivious. If I ever say anything stupid or offensive please, please refer to my sig. I hope that hearing people eventually wise up.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the comments from rude customers when I worked at TJMaxx. (chain store that sells clothes, appliances, shoes, etc) I worked in various positions such as Cashier, Refund Associate, Jewerly, Layaway and on sales floor. I had no problem working on the register as a cashier, but when I would do returns, people can be so greedy and I would try my best to explain to them calmly about the store's policy and they would get all nasty on me and I wanted to tell them, "Fuck off!" but I politely said that, "it is not my policy, I do what I am told. If you have any problems, I will call the management for you." They would give me dirty looks and walk away. People can be so selfish wanting cash back for returning stuff they didn't want the day after they bought it. Why buy it in first place?

There were times when I would work on sales floor cleaning my department and most of the time I didn't know there'd be customer saying, "excuse me?" and they'd think I was totally ignoring them and when I turned around, I would be like,"Oh, How can I help you?" The customer would just stare at me like I'm some freak to them and that pisses me off majorily. Sometimes I'd ask them to repeat and they'd be like, "Nevermind." Argh!

I have been working there for about more than two years and I've gotten TREMENDOUS support from my co-workers and my bosses, even at busiest time, they still help me. If I had trouble understanding the customer (either the customer had a strong accent or was covered with moustache..I have a hard time reading lips) most of time one of my co-workers would overhear what the customer would say and if they know I can't understand them, they would answer that for me, which I didn't expect. They NEVER, EVER told them I was deaf or I just couldn't understand them. I never tell people, oh I'm deaf, that's just a waste of my time explaining that I can't hear the words in the background and I depend on reading lips and getting looks from people.

people are ignorant sometimes! :thumbd:

That sucks when that happens. I don't believe that has happened to me as a worker in a shop, but as a customer. It has happened quite rarely, though. Most people are understanding and more than willing to use pen and paper to communicate our needs and so forth.

Me understand -- That makes us feel miserable and disrespectful. I would :madfawk: at them.

Very similar to hearing people when they are in the deaf community. Most deafies cannot tolerate with sign language beginners and/or new interpreters. Instead, deafies show their rudeness.

Best solution: Ignore and smile.

--Grim Reaper

pinkster said:

Yeah been there done that.... one thing that PISSSSSSED me off!!!
I worked at this small grocery store as the stocker when I was home for the summer from College few years ago.. so anyway, my job was in the deli bakery and make sure the vegetables are not rotting, and stock some crap, blah blah.... boring job but hey I needed the moola... Anyway, I worked there for a few weeks then one day, my boss who always worked w/ me every day...when it was closer to the end of my shift, she gave me a piece of paper and read what she wrote.... It was pretty long but basically what it said... something like "I'm sorry I have to let you go. I just cannot put up with communication w/ you being deaf...I have to let you go..It's just too much work. I'm sorry"
I was like :wtf: I looked at her and said, I didn't think we had problems. I mean you can read my lips and I can read your lips (I speak about 80% clear.. most people can understand me after they get used to me). She was like I'm sorry. I said It's your loss!!! :thumbd:
Then this gets better.... I know you are sayin.. You should've sued her for discrimination!!!!!! Well, I was going to until my aunt told me the old lady ran out of business like few weeks after I was let go. GEEEEEEEZ WHY DIDN'T SHE JUST SAID SHE WAS CLOSING HER BUSINESS INSTEAD OF DISCRIMINATING ME?!?!?!!? Whatever! :stupid:

Another thing... I totally hate.... My family always makes me so mad. I have to say... I have like 30 relatives in a house.. Im from a BIG family. When I sit down with my mom and aunts around the table.. I can follow the conversation but sometime 2 people talk at the same time..I'm like Mom, what did she said? Mom would be like "Tell ya later" I'm like NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :mad: OR She would be tellin me HALF of the story...or like I ask my cousin Sarah what they were talkin about...she'd be like don't worry about it... it's nothing important. So I just leave the room sick of my family of being insensitive. I always felt left out of everybody's conversations. OR Don't you hate it when you are talkin to your hearing relatives or friends about anything, their eyes are lookin at something else.. not directly to your eyes... I don't know about you guys, but It's HARD for me to talk when I know their eyes are elsewhere and it makes me feel they are not listening!!! I get that ALL the time. GGRRRRRR :booty: Kiss my butt!

Ohhhh I'll never forget this... I was in Houston visiting my best friend Jenn last year. I was in McDonald's with Jenn and Heather for supper before we head out to church. They got their orders then it was my turn. I clearly said "Number 2 with no mustard and coke please" The mexican girl said "HUH??" I said nicely "# 2 w/ no mustard & coke pls" She said "No pickles?" I m like Jenn, Can you please tell her I want number 2 with no mustard and Coke?" Jenn tried her best to keep a straight face cuz she knew EXACTLY what I said. She repeated for me. The lady said OH okay. So I gave her my money and got my change back. I turned around and was talkin to Jenn. She glanced at the lady and she was like :jaw: Im like what? She said "that girl muttered and called you a bitch and made a face behind you." I said OH REALLY :naughty: I turned around and looked at her...And was oh so friendly to her. She gave me her food. I said OHHHH Thank you so much, God bless you!!!!! Thank you!!!! I appreciate it!!!!
My friends couldn't stop laughing I swear they thought I was :crazy: But hey You know I was being friendly just to make her feel bad that she called me a bitch and made faces. I won't stoop that low to get revenge back. Ya know? Just smile and sign :ily:
ha ha ha..... I can go on and on about my experiences with hearing but those stories I told you are just some I will NEVER forget!

knightwolf68 said:
I feel ya !! It happen to me in the past ... where i used to work at Sears in Rochester, Mn . few customers has been give me the attutide as they act like i am dumb or something like that ... once i said i am deaf and they say ohhh i am sorry can't u hear anything at all ?? how earth can u do the job here when u can't hear ... they make me feel like i am idoit or something like that... I explain to them i can do the job .. i just do the investory or restock stuffs it isn't hard to do ... Also, one time i think it is funny.... when customers left and look round ... by the times i get off from work to go home .. i walk to the car as that same customer's car is next to my car ... they saw me and run to me say u can't drive because u are deaf it is against law ... It give me disgust but be cool with it ... and i had to pull out my drive lic and show them that i have a right to drive duh ... then that person decide to not let me go as one of their wife run into their car and get the notepad and pen and write ... How can u drive when u can't hear the honk or sirens etc ... I had to explain to them the details ... told them very important to have the car is that three damn mirrors is my "hear" sirens use the light flash ... and honk yup can't hear but i have to be more alert to watch where i am going before i move or change the lanes blah blah blah ... they said ohhh I didn't know that deaf can do drive and work ... wow u have good english .. I said yeah right but thanks anyway... I feel like that i am in low class or something like that .. grrr
I get that too and damn, don't they know that deaf ppl CAN see? *roll eyes*

we all have been there, pinkster... we know how u feel/ we also have been there... nothing we can do to change the hearing people if they're rude to us..... at least we tried our best to communicate with hearing people, but things happen.... it's part of life that we have to go through with those hearing people who are rude.

Ohhhh I'll never forget this... I was in Houston visiting my best friend Jenn last year. I was in McDonald's with Jenn and Heather for supper before we head out to church. They got their orders then it was my turn. I clearly said "Number 2 with no mustard and coke please" The mexican girl said "HUH??" I said nicely "# 2 w/ no mustard & coke pls" She said "No pickles?" I m like Jenn, Can you please tell her I want number 2 with no mustard and Coke?" Jenn tried her best to keep a straight face cuz she knew EXACTLY what I said. She repeated for me. The lady said OH okay. So I gave her my money and got my change back. I turned around and was talkin to Jenn. She glanced at the lady and she was like :jaw: Im like what? She said "that girl muttered and called you a bitch and made a face behind you." I said OH REALLY :naughty: I turned around and looked at her...And was oh so friendly to her. She gave me her food. I said OHHHH Thank you so much, God bless you!!!!! Thank you!!!! I appreciate it!!!!
My friends couldn't stop laughing I swear they thought I was :crazy: But hey You know I was being friendly just to make her feel bad that she called me a bitch and made faces. I won't stoop that low to get revenge back. Ya know? Just smile and sign :ily:
ha ha ha..... I can go on and on about my experiences with hearing but those stories I told you are just some I will NEVER forget! [/COLOR] [/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]
I get that ALL THE FUCKING TIME! Everytime I go into restuants like Wendy's or KFC, or whatever, I always give out my order by talking and almost every person at the cash machine ALWAYS go "what? come again? what's that?" and most of the time it is always a forgiener, hispanic or chinese or whatever, and as if they act like they understand me, they ALWAYS gave me the wrong types of food that I didn't even put on my order! i was so fucking pissed that I wanna punch that forgien in the face! he should've been honest that he didn't understand me...damn.

Back