Hearing people signing to each other?

Auslan_91

Reaction score
What are your opinions on hearing people signing to each other in the absence of deaf people?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post; couldn't find one matching it so I made one.

I dont care if they feel comfortable the way they are. Thats fine. My hearing kid, and his hearing friend who has Deaf parents. My kid and his friend do sign to each other when they wanted to. LOL

I was signing with my hearing friend at the shops and two deaf people came up to us and asked if we were deaf, then we just started chatting and now I have two new deaf friends :)

I have yet to meet a Deaf person who minds if two hearing people sign--that's one of the ways to learn the language and many people need that practice, especially hearing parents of deaf children. But that is simply my personal experience.

I actually have a pet peeve. When hearing folks who organize an event to practice ASL that's invites Deaf to attend. They they all start taking and not signing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I actually have a pet peeve. When hearing folks who organize an event to practice ASL that's invites Deaf to attend. They they all start taking and not signing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

That's quite understandable and I've heard similar stories.

Why not? I wouldn't mind if they signed to each other. Why not? This is their chance to stand out from those who doesn't sign.

Why would it bother me? It's just two people speaking a language...I wouldn't care if it were two people speaking French even if it wasn't either of their's native language...

ASL is a language of its own. I don't care who learns it and uses it.

I'd be happy if more hearing people used it. :)

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

What are your opinions on hearing people signing to each other in the absence of deaf people?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post; couldn't find one matching it so I made one.

What does it matter? Maybe they're just Italian or like to talk with their hands. People do.

Laura

I thought only CODA (Children Of Deaf Adults) can sign to each other. But if there is someone who is learning to sign ASL without being interfered by Deaf people. Then that is okay. It is a free country.

If the Deaf people see that the hearing people were signing to each other as long as they signed fluently to each other, we assumed that they are Deaf, even if they don't wear hearing aids or CI. That can put us off mistaking them for deafness instead of hearing. No, I don't see anything wrong for them to sign to each other. :)

Back