Hearing people and disrespect?

KStiletto

Reaction score
So I am new to this site, and I found the number of threads on here as well as people rather interesting. So to make a long story short are hearing people on average rude, ignorant, or ( fill in blank) in regards to hoh, deaf people, signing etc? For ex. On the show Switched At Birth some high school guys were making fun of the main character. Ive seen people look at signers as if they were aliens. I dont know if its out of amazement,intrigue or just totally being rude. I hate when people stare in general, but thats a different story. I have loved ASL for over fifteen years and now that Im older and more social, and there are groups and other things that make it more possible to meet people with similar interests I can learn and retain, but I digress. What I want to know mainly is how do hearing people treat you?

It's not just hearing people that are rude or ignorant... and only to deaf people. Everyone of all types, races, gender, handicap, etc... are rude and ignorant. They just do it in their own ways.

There was one deaf black woman who went to this gas station. When she approached the door, a white hearing guy inside was already on his way out. He opened the door coming out, but held it open for the deaf black woman who was on her way in. She stopped and yelled at the guy, "Hmmph! Just because I'm some poor deaf black woman doesn't mean I can't do anything! Jeez!" before stomping in all pissed-off.

There was a white deaf woman who got in the elevator with her white deaf boyfriend. When she dropped her schoolbag, her boyfriend started to bend over to pick it up. She immediately yelled at him. "Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I can't do it by myself! Back off! Jeez!"

So, there may be hearing people out there who are rude and ignorant to deaf people for whatever reason. But... there are also deaf people out there who are rude and ignorant to hearing people (or other people) for whatever reason too.

Should we be sitting there getting mad at hearing people for being rude and ignorant? I think not. We should be looking at ourselves (as a race, gender, or handicap) and our own "kind" before passing judgment on others.

I sometimes get the "look" from hearing people, then I later find out that the reason why they gave me the "look" is because of how a bunch of deaf people rudely treat them... like those places that host Deaf Happy Hour and Deaf Chat Coffee. So, should I be judging those hearing people for doing the "look"... or should I be judging those deaf people who was rude and ignorant to those hearing people?

Even rude and ignorant black people make other black people look bad... and rude/ignorant handicapped (wheelchair) people make other handicapped people look bad... etc... etc...

I agree with you that everyone has a**hole tendencies. My main question is between hearing and deaf/hoh people is rudeness more common, or just a rare occurrence? I'd like to think that it's rare but I don't know.

Growing up, I was made fun of and mocked at by hearing people and I was very insecure about it. Since learning ASL and accepting my deafness, I am no longer insecure about my deafness so it seemed the mocking and getting picked on has reduced but I do encounter people who make ignorant comments like how could I be deaf if I speak so well and that I was faking it but I ignore them. Since then, it hasnt been a problem for me. The only problem now I have is the audist attitudes towards ASL for deaf babies and the view that they should not learn it.

I don't think it's just a hearing people issue - rudeness and disrespect transcends all socio-economic groups. Most people do mind their manners and do have a basic sense of courtesy but there are always those who don't know better.

Growing up, I was made fun of and mocked at by hearing people and I was very insecure about it. Since learning ASL and accepting my deafness, I am no longer insecure about my deafness so it seemed the mocking and getting picked on has reduced but I do encounter people who make ignorant comments like how could I be deaf if I speak so well and that I was faking it but I ignore them. Since then, it hasnt been a problem for me. The only problem now I have is the audist attitudes towards ASL for deaf babies and the view that they should not learn it.

Can you explain this?

LEARN !!! grrer just read it in here, there's PLENTY of posts regarding to out dislikes of this.

Try also keyword search on Audism, Deaf Power, discrimination, vent, literate, and so on you'd soon find out enought, i for on was 'a hearie-wanna-be' till now at 41 yeara of age, NOW that's a waste...over to you, .. laters

LEARN !!! grrer just read it in here, there's PLENTY of posts regarding to out dislikes of this.

Try also keyword search on Audism, Deaf Power, discrimination, vent, literate, and so on you'd soon find out enought, i for on was 'a hearie-wanna-be' till now at 41 yeara of age, NOW that's a waste...over to you, .. laters

I understood about a quarter of that but since my last post I looked it up.

I understood about a quarter of that but since my last post I looked it up.

There are so many threads about audism...will see if I can find them and post links for you.

When hearing people are being disrespectful and offend my deaf sensibilities, I stare at them. I don't say one word. They get the message pretty fast. And they usually don't do it again. It's the most effective tactic I've ever used to stand up for myself and let them know where they've crossed the line.

Thanks for the link on audism. Great read. Didn't know people could find a way to be more of an *sshole as they already are. There's just too much hate going around. Le sigh.

So I am new to this site, and I found the number of threads on here as well as people rather interesting. So to make a long story short are hearing people on average rude, ignorant, or ( fill in blank) in regards to hoh, deaf people, signing etc?

no, thats society in general. EVERYONE...deafies are not excluded from this.

Speaking of rude, I had a funny dream last night that I went shopping at a local mall and someone saw that I'm deaf. She ran up to me and started saying, "Hey I know some ABCs!" and proceeded to sign her ABCs very slowly... That was a nightmare.

Really, everyone can be rude in general. Some more ignorant than others.

Speaking of rude, I had a funny dream last night that I went shopping at a local mall and someone saw that I'm deaf. She ran up to me and started saying, "Hey I know some ABCs!" and proceeded to sign her ABCs very slowly... That was a nightmare.

Really, everyone can be rude in general. Some more ignorant than others.

Oh wow, that must have sucked b*lls.

Thanks for all the responses. After readings some threads I've gotten a better understanding of what goes on. Thanks and have a good one!

Thanks for all the responses. After readings some threads I've gotten a better understanding of what goes on. Thanks and have a good one!

Hope you continue to hang out here! :D

And also the hearing on forums can be rude as i can mentioned that Wol*eymole from other forum who do as moderators find my english is so bad and he decided to post entire thread about improving my english with my username on it.

It was embrassing. I've requested Admin to remove it off and left forum as i got better forum to social in and never talked about my english as they understand me well.

Thank you for being interested enough to come in here and learn. And so politely, as well.:wave:

Back