Hearing Parents

Ellie

Reaction score
My son is getting close to 2. Are terrible twos really bad with a deaf child, or about the same. He's started closing his eyes when he doesn't want to see me sign, ("No" or "Stop") is this part of rebeling already? It's funny now, but I try not to laugh 'cause I don't want him to think that it's ok to not listen to mommy, what can I do to try and get him to stop it, or do I wait it out and just keep on with what I'm doing?

ahh... can't you just tap on his shoulders until he gets irrated so that way he will open his eyes.. that s what my hearing parents did to me. when I close my eyes off to them...

they would try different method.. they would put their finger in my nose to play around that would make me laugh and open my eyes,,,tickle or anything....it works. believe me....

Ive tried. He just smacks my hand away and goes on about what he wants to do. :wiggle:

Ellie, when I was around that age, I'd turn my hearing aids off on my parents... :mrgreen: ..but that is WONDERFUL news that your son's reacting that way!
That shows an awareness that wouldn't be there if he was severely cognitively affected! I know that there's a guy here who has severe CP and is also deaf, but is fine mentally......maybe you could e-mail him and he could give you his phone number, and you could talk to his mother and see what works out....

Ellie, just wanted to tell you about a guy I was reading about who ALL the experts said functioned as a nine month old.....He got a computer at age 20....and it turned out he was a lot smarter then they thought!
It's still very very hard to tell how badly a kid will be affected cognitively....you just gotta wait and see.....hopefully, even if your little boy does have cognitive issues, they won't be severe.

deafdyke said:
Ellie, just wanted to tell you about a guy I was reading about who ALL the experts said functioned as a nine month old.....He got a computer at age 20....and it turned out he was a lot smarter then they thought!
It's still very very hard to tell how badly a kid will be affected cognitively....you just gotta wait and see.....hopefully, even if your little boy does have cognitive issues, they won't be severe.

Deafdyke, don't you have any children yet? What the hell are you babbling about child at age 20 for a computer? I bet he does not know how to use the internet since he does not how to type on keyboard yet except homepage on the Internet. That child at age of 20 months does not very smart to me. My son already started to play on the computer game earlier than 2 years old. He asked for my assistance when he is in trouble with the computer (either Internet or children program software). Give me a break...

Ellie, you need to set up the rules with your son. I know two years old is very horrible in the stage of the children age. It is not very easily to control the child's behavior. No matter how loud your son scream in any store or in public, you need to learn with your great patience and kneel down on the ground to face your son at level. You would have to tell him that you are happy and ask if he needs to be good or go home. You have to give him a good reason why he is not happy with it and you would have to make a deal or bribe. It works for me and my son.

Deafdyke, don't you have any children yet? What the hell are you babbling about child at age 20 for a computer? I bet he does not know how to use the internet since he does not how to type on keyboard yet except homepage on the Internet. That child at age of 20 months does not very smart to me. My son already started to play on the computer game earlier than 2 years old. He asked for my assistance when he is in trouble with the computer (either Internet or children program software). Give me a break...
EXCUSE ME!!! I was telling Ellie about a guy who was thought to have severe intellecuatal disabilties who was smarter then the experts said he was!
Ellie's child may have severe disabilties.....I was just trying to give her some hope! Learn to read!

Take his ONE favortie toy and teach him to Listen to the parent if he don't want to then take more of them.. he would scream and said no no please don't take away from me.. he would make it up with u..

it works with my son, my son is sure STUBBORN!

deafdyke said:
EXCUSE ME!!! I was telling Ellie about a guy who was thought to have severe intellecuatal disabilties who was smarter then the experts said he was!
Ellie's child may have severe disabilties.....I was just trying to give her some hope! Learn to read!

Ellie did not ask you about computer lessons...please stay on topic.

Thanks..

Ok now I'm lost I was just asking about my son rebeling. So far he doesn't do anything bad in stores and I hope to keep it that way, but I am trying to let him know who's the boss around the house. He's actually very good outside of the house, and I know that at some point you have to push your parents buttons to see what they will do about it.

Loving, consistant firmness is important at this age. For some children, times out and withholding of privileges (or special toys for little ones) is enough. Be careful with "rewards" for "good" behavior. Good behavior should be the expected norm, not something "special" that requires a bribe. Exceptional good behavior (like after a long shopping day) can be rewarded with a treat.

I raised a hearing child, not a deaf child, so I didn't have that experience with the extra challenges. I am only stating general parenting principles.

Love
Consistancy
Patience
Firmness (not meanness, not harshness, but firmness--it means, don't let the child control the situation)

At least you know that he understands your signing; otherwise, there would be no point in his eye closing. :)

It would probably be a good idea to nip that in the bud though. He needs to know that is not acceptable behavior before he tries that trick on his teachers at school.

Maybe when he does that, you can swoop him up in your arms and put him in the "time out" chair. Not harshly, but quickly and firmly. Then, when he opens his eyes, pays attention to your signs, he is allowed to get up again.

I am sure some of the moms and dads with deaf kids here at AD have some more good suggestions.

Sorry, Ellie, I know my post was OT, but I know that your little boy may have intellcutcal issues due to his CP, and I just posted about the guy I read about to give you some hope. The doctors aren't always right!

deafdyke said:
Sorry, Ellie, I know my post was OT, but I know that your little boy may have intellcutcal issues due to his CP, and I just posted about the guy I read about to give you some hope. The doctors aren't always right!
that's ok. actually john doesn't have CP. we found this out afew weeks ago. we got the all clear :dance2: on that. His head scan came back, normal for a child with CMV. I don't know what that really means, but the dr isn't worried about it, so I'm also not too worried about it right now either. we don't go back to see him until January, but I still need to call and talk to him about what we were told.

that's ok. actually john doesn't have CP. we found this out afew weeks ago. we got the all clear on that. His head scan came back, normal for a child with CMV. I don't know what that really means,
WOOHOO....that's good! Still it's weird what's causing his devlopmental issues...hope you find an ANSWER soon!

Hi Ellie, I understands about your situation.

I want to sharing my thoughts and wonders with you about your son who is also hearing impaired.

I used to be unhappy with my hearing parent and because of they not know what to do with me since my hearing parent speaks voice in conversation with my 5 sisters and 4 brothers but not me. I became hate my hearing parent because they did not show their love and caring about me at all. I need their love and caring from my hearing parent so they decided to take me to church and been attending at church worship and meeting and party also playing with kids and They started to teaching about the story of bible with a lot of pictures and I was irriate with my hearing parent but now somehow irriate disappear inside of my feels that I turns in attention of want to hear about God and Jesus Christ and his messiah. I became love my hearing parent for taking me to church and learn about His gospel. They teaching me about the gospel. I learn to love myself and my parent and my sisters and brothers and in christ with them too. I used to be rebellious myself but now I did not have that feel about rebellious anymore. It was somehow miracle and has been blessed and removed my feel about rebellious anymore. I became like learn more knowledge and experience with my educational system and I keeps asking my hearing parent what is that money? They said that money is use for make money from work and money is for pay bills and recreations too. and teaching me about names of coins and currencies 5 cent means nickle, 10 cent means dime, 25 cent means quarter,50 cent means half dollar,and etc.etc.etc. I been learn and practice and I did remember all of them and I never forgotten about what I did learn from them in the past of years ago.
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (NIV, Deuteronomy 6:4-5)

I hope you can take your son to church and listen them and he will become love you and love himself too. that is the only one way you can make it wink. God bless you.

Hi Ellie,

I have a deaf daughter that just turned 3. Got out of the "terrible-two" situation, well theoretically speaking.
Your son doesn't hear (HA or CI)? I couldn't help you with him only relying on sign. I have heared of parents that behaved the same when the child wanted something, so they closed their eyes to their child but I think that to the child it just shows that the behaviour is accepted.

Our daughter uses CI, so we know she can hear. (And for her to take her CI off when she was angry was never acccepted. I sat with her holding her arm down so she could not reach the CI's until she calmed down.)
For her to calm down and communicate with us we watched pictures on the PC or albums. She loves that.

I think that if your son closes his eyes, the best thing to do is to make the situation even more uncomfortable. Put him in the hallway or another room. This way he'll connect closing his eyes to you also involves additional unpleasent behavior.

Cloggy John has HA, but I don't think they help much, we are looking into CIs alittle more today (we go to dr) Right now he pulls his HAs out when he don't want them in, so I have to put them back in, and he gets really mad at me, but after afew times he gives up.
I don't close my eyes when he yells or wants me for anything, so i think this is just something he figured out on his own.

DreamyHawaii said:
I want to sharing my thoughts and wonders with you about your son who is also hearing impaired.

I used to be unhappy with my hearing parent and because of they not know what to do with me since my hearing parent speaks voice in conversation with my 5 sisters and 4 brothers but not me. I became hate my hearing parent because they did not show their love and caring about me at all. I need their love and caring from my hearing parent so they decided to take me to church and been attending at church worship and meeting and party also playing with kids and They started to teaching about the story of bible with a lot of pictures and I was irriate with my hearing parent but now somehow irriate disappear inside of my feels that I turns in attention of want to hear about God and Jesus Christ and his messiah. I became love my hearing parent for taking me to church and learn about His gospel. They teaching me about the gospel. I learn to love myself and my parent and my sisters and brothers and in christ with them too. I used to be rebellious myself but now I did not have that feel about rebellious anymore. It was somehow miracle and has been blessed and removed my feel about rebellious anymore. I became like learn more knowledge and experience with my educational system and I keeps asking my hearing parent what is that money? They said that money is use for make money from work and money is for pay bills and recreations too. and teaching me about names of coins and currencies 5 cent means nickle, 10 cent means dime, 25 cent means quarter,50 cent means half dollar,and etc.etc.etc. I been learn and practice and I did remember all of them and I never forgotten about what I did learn from them in the past of years ago.
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. (NIV, Deuteronomy 6:4-5)

I hope you can take your son to church and listen them and he will become love you and love himself too. that is the only one way you can make it wink. God bless you.
:gpost:

I am surely that Ellie will be very excited to do that same thing like me too.

Thanks for saying good posting. I am sure that Ellie will eager to do that just like what my hearing parent did that to me. I urge Ellie to take his son to church and learn about their gospel. I believe his son will love his hearing parent ,himself,God,Jesus Christ,and Brothers and sisters in Christ too. Praise the Lord be with them always. Amen! I also pray for them too. ;)

Reba said:

Back