Hearing parents of deaf children...take notice!

Actually, the paper did elaborate on how HOH/deaf (not including CIs) kids in mainstream settings have the lowest self-esteems. They use this as basis for their statement that CIs will make deaf kids more well adjusted in mainstream settings and "have a better quality of life".

It may be the case, it may not be, but I don't see how the studies they refer to in this paper can be extrapolated to back that up.

It may be the case, it may not be, but I don't see how the studies they refer to in this paper can be extrapolated to back that up.

Did you read the study I linked to?

"No one would ever
claim that cochlear implants fix deafness or that being deaf is not difficult. However,
hopefully with continued early implantation and early intervention, we can give these
students a better quality of life.
All of the children in the current study were implanted at a very early age and
have had their cochlear implant for over 10 years. The results indicate that these students
are adjusting very well and very similarly to their hearing peers."

"No one would ever
claim that cochlear implants fix deafness or that being deaf is not difficult. However,
hopefully with continued early implantation and early intervention, we can give these
have had their cochlear implant for over 10 years. The results indicate that these students

What I took away from their analysis was that they found deaf kids with CIs in mainstream settings did very well relative to hearing counterparts in the same settings. And that this was in stark contrast to what they found with deaf kids without CIs 30 years ago who did very poorly in mainstream settings. That looks like great news for these kids they studied more recently.

But, and maybe I missed it, I don't see any comparison with deaf kids using CIs in other settings (unit settings, deaf schools). So, how do they connect the dots and state from this research "Therefore CI kids function the best in mainstream settings"? Maybe deaf kids with CIs or with HAs do equally great or better in self contained units or programs in public schools, or in deaf schools.

And I know you probably think I should be celebrating that finding, given that my kid is a CI kid :). But that unsupported conclusion makes me a little bit skeptical of their interpretations.

What I took away from their analysis was that they found deaf kids with CIs in mainstream settings did very well relative to hearing counterparts in the same settings. And that this was in stark contrast to what they found with deaf kids without CIs 30 years ago who did very poorly in mainstream settings. That looks like great news for these kids they studied more recently.

But, and maybe I missed it, I don't see any comparison with deaf kids using CIs in other settings (unit settings, deaf schools). So, how do they connect the dots and state from this research "Therefore CI kids function the best in mainstream settings"? Maybe deaf kids with CIs or with HAs do equally great or better in self contained units or programs in public schools, or in deaf schools.

And I know you probably think I should be celebrating that finding, given that my kid is a CI kid :). But that unsupported conclusion makes me a little bit skeptical of their interpretations.

No, I'm not thinking you would be celebrating that finding because you've never put your daughter into mainstream for a reason. That didn't go over my head.

Essentially, the study admits their findings are not the most scientific because it's based on parents and students' personal views which can be very subjective.

But overall, they do say kids with CIs would be the category of deaf kids that would most likely do well in mainstream settings.

No, I'm not thinking you would be celebrating that finding because you've never put your daughter into mainstream for a reason. That didn't go over my head.

Essentially, the study admits their findings are not the most scientific because it's based on parents and students' personal views which can be very subjective.

But overall, they do say kids with CIs would be the category of deaf kids that would most likely do well in mainstream settings.

Good point. Measuring self-esteam is a tough one.

Especially if the "studies" can be falsified. I was a test subject for a man who was doing a project for his doctorate at Washington University School of Medicine, and I have personally observed how he skewed the test results to be the way he wanted it.

Wirelessly posted

deafbajagal said:
I wish I had the means and the resources to do a state-wide project where I can interview (and tape) deaf and hard of hearing kids to ask about their experiences in the mainstreamed settings. I probably should write a grant.

that is an excellent idea!

Wirelessly posted

DeafCaroline said:

"No one would ever

isn't that good news?

Actually, the paper did elaborate on how HOH/deaf (not including CIs) kids in mainstream settings have the lowest self-esteems. They use this as basis for their statement that CIs will make deaf kids more well adjusted in mainstream settings and "have a better quality of life".

Falliicious logic.:roll:

Yeppers, another self report study. Known to be the least valid and reliable.

I think I realized the flaw. Were they studying kids in St. Louis? St. Louis has a really good Deaf Ed system. (b/c of the fact that traditionally a lot of kids from CID and St. Joseph's ended up in the St. Louis system. It unfortuntly does not represent a typical public school. That's actually the flaw. The idea that mainstreamed kids do better dates back to when mainstreaming first became popular. Kids who were mainstreamed,(back then) had the advantage of prior specialized training, that only a really good school for the deaf or blind can give. Most mainstreamed kids nowadays are kneejerkingly mainstreamed without the advantage of a school for the deaf.
And I still don't get the reasoning that the CI is going to magicly improve social abilties. ALL CI kids are functionally hoh. Hoh kids STILL have tons and tons and tons of social emotional issues.

I wish I had the means and the resources to do a state-wide project where I can interview (and tape) deaf and hard of hearing kids to ask about their experiences in the mainstreamed settings. I probably should write a grant.

I have been thinking for some time about a research project comparing the expeiriences of deaf kids in Deaf schools, and those in mainstream schools. I would like to do a 4 x 4 with one of the experimental groups focused on CI users. Wonder if we could write a grant to make this a interstate project?

You could try contacting someone at Gally and Harlan Lane at RIT/NTID to see if there are studies that are already done or in the process. Harlan is Deaf and a graduate of WPSD and did a lot of research and books himself. I met him a couple times while I was subbing at WPSD. Gally has a ton of research topics as well, so both places are worth checking out for information and collaboration.

I'd love to work with you on this, seriously. Now that budget cuts are becoming really scary to the point that our deaf kids are at stake, it's now or never in regards to showing what is really happening in deaf education.

Sounds good to me. You have access to students that I would not be able to access without a great deal of added expense. The more participants, the greater the generalizability.

I would love to work with you on this as well. I am just not sure how to get started.

I would have to get it started through the university and have it approved by the IRB. Then we could start with collecting data in different states. It will take at least 6-8 months of time to design, research, and write a proposal.

You could try contacting someone at Gally and Harlan Lane at RIT/NTID to see if there are studies that are already done or in the process. Harlan is Deaf and a graduate of WPSD and did a lot of research and books himself. I met him a couple times while I was subbing at WPSD. Gally has a ton of research topics as well, so both places are worth checking out for information and collaboration.

Harlan Lane is a hearing person.

Jilio and others,
I have just started on my Masters in Deaf Education at Texas Women's University and I was already leaning towards research option in this area as part of my degree requirements. My other possible area of interest, besides the perception of the D/HH students themselves, was to possibly compare how the parents and teachers felt the D/HH student felt about their support system, achievements, etc. compared with how the student felt about themselves. My concern is I hear so many parents and teachers say how great a kid is doing in the mainstream - but does that student really feel like they are doing all that great. And what factors are important to the students vs. the parents and teachers?

Anyway, I am just starting to really work through what I would like the design of the study to look like and would love to bounce ideas around if you are willing. I also still need to talk to my adviser and figure out what is exactly required for the research option (when I was first accepted to the program and expressed an interest in research, they seemed genuinely surprised; they said no one ever chooses the research option).

Thanks!

I would be more than happy to bounce ideas for research design around with you. I find your question to be very valid, as it rarely plays out that the child's perception of how they are doing, and the parent's perception of how they are doing are one and the same. And since the teachers in the mainstream generally have little to no experience with educating deaf kids, their feedback is to be looked at with skepticism.

Sorry your thread got closed while for a, but let's see if we can keep this civil and actually come up with some productive discourse!:wave:

I'd love to work with you on this, seriously. Now that budget cuts are becoming really scary to the point that our deaf kids are at stake, it's now or never in regards to showing what is really happening in deaf education.

its pretty much so in that situation, particularily with CI gained so much attention, quite disturbing, more disturbing that the question remains why was it that 'Deaf culture' has been more more widely known and Then CI took its limelight? its something thats been bugging me for quite some time...

Back