Hearing parent adopt deaf child?

Denise, good point!!!! Do you know if there are any formal dhh programs in your area? Like a mainstream school, but offers a sizable number of dhh kids......Or even a general special needs preschool?
I think res schools have their place. But I also think that most kids should start out in a formal dhh preschool/kindergarten, and have a few years with their family before opting for living at school. I don't think parents should say " we ARE going to do this or that" in regards to educational placement. It's just too hard to forecast how well a kid will do in a particular setting, and it's also hard to tell what the quality of the schools will be and, if you'll spend more time battling with the IEP team over what your kid needs. I think parents need to be very openminded and child centered when it comes to education for their kids with disabilites. Look at ALL the options, and try to figure out which one is the best. Heck, maybe even move closer to a good Deaf School. It's very common for parents to move to different states to different schools. Even today!
There IS a reason why Deaf Schools and formal programs still exist, even thou mainstreaming has been the norm for decades now. That is b/c many parents are frustrated with the crappiness of the special ed services offered at mainstream programs. Heck, the reason for the Deaf Charter Schools is that parents were frustrated with the quality of the services in mainstream schools.
A mainstream placement might be a good one, but then again, it might be a good idea to move or send them to a regional dhh program or whatever.

Our state has a program for Special Needs Adoptions which includes all sorts of 'special needs' including age, race and sibling groups... it also has kiddos who are legally available for adoption that are special needs due to issues such as vision, hearing, physical abilities... AND the adoptive parents pay ZERO to adopt!

Adamsmomma....you've actually been told you were crazy to adopt a kid with a relatively mild disabilty?!?! I can understand that reaction if you'd adopted a kid with a profound disabilty or a kid who was severely multihandicapped (ie the kind of kid where they live in a pediatric nursing home) But a kid who's "just dhh?" Too many people just want designer superficallly perfect high achiever kids.......I remember on a list hearing abt a mom whining b/c their kid didn't have blue eyes.....sigh.

Back