hearing n00b

slachance

Reaction score
Hi!@!

My name is Steve. I'm hearing. I'm first year student in a terp Certificate Program. I hope to be a certified ASL interpreter someday. I think ASL is such a beatiful language and the deafies I've met have been extremely cool.

The only problm is I'm not learning anything at all in school.

(RANT: This past semester we had 60 hours of class time. And I'd say less than one hour in total was actually useful instruction. We spent about half an hour going over grammar and my actual time signing was probably a total of five minutes. TOTAL!! New vocabulary learned was between 20-50 signs. TOTAL!! I'm not kidding. It suxxxxxxxx0rOx. The teacher is completely apathetic and uninspiring. And he's the only one who teaches the "advanced" classes. Last year i took the Intro. ASL 1&2 classes and the two teachers were GREAT. Now, I'm stuck with a teacher who couldn't care less about actually teaching. Sorry for the RANT. end--)

Anyway. I know I have to learn by being in the community. So I hope something evolves from this.

Thanks for reading.

(i actually am learning somethings about Deaf history, community and culture in other classes, just the ASL part is useless.)

cheers.

Welcome to AD. You're not the only hearie around these parts, so don't sweat it.

I, myself, am thinking of attending an ITP sometime next year. Just curious, which college are you attending it at?

thanks for kind reply@!

It's a community college in MA.

It has a very good reputation as it's the oldest program in the area. And some ppl have been very happy with it. So I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

I've heard that in a few years the RID is gonna require a Bachelor's degree for certifications. So keep that in mind.

Good luck@!

Well, first, I've heard they're going to require a Associates degree, and then a Bachelors. To be honest, I don't ever recall hearing of any ITP's that offer a Bachelors degree. Only associates.

:welcome: to AD and hope you will enjoy it here. Who knows you might meet someone in here who would be willing to teach you ASL :)

If you want to learn more on signs.. go to any book store like walenbooks or Barnes / nobles buy sign launage book u can study at home and try to get some signs up to yourself.. I hope you really ENJOy! for me LOVE BEING DEAF!

G'day slachance,
Welcome to AD. Hope you'll learn heaps from this forum as well meet cool peeps. Keep on learning ASL. :)
Cheers! :wave:

Hi slachance :welcome: to AD! Good luck on learning to be an ASL interpreter and you can do it! There is a free learning ASL website here.

Whew, glad to see I am not the only hearing person here...I was afraid to introduce myself!

I'm curious Steve, what ITP are you in?

welcome you stay AD and let's breath away!!!

ENJOY!

Some of members who interpreter ASL here... you'll become new friend easily w/them.

Hafta fun! :D

apathrev said:
Well, first, I've heard they're going to require a Associates degree, and then a Bachelors. To be honest, I don't ever recall hearing of any ITP's that offer a Bachelors degree. Only associates.

Cental,

Is that all you know about Gallaudet University's ITP? They do offer BS and MS....

Oooh, I can help with this.

Gallaudet does not currently offer a Bachelor's ITP. They did back around 1988 but it only lasted one year. There is only the Master's program. They are working on developing a new Bachelor's ITP but it is still in the early stages and won't be available anytime soon.

But there are other colleges and universities that offer four-year ITPs. Bloomsburg in Pennsylvania has one that many of my co-workers have graduated from; it is currently suspended but everyone is hoping they will bring it back. In Indiana, IUPUI offers a Bachelor's ITP; in Rochester NY RIT has one, and so does EKU in Kentucky.

But! It is important to note that RID is not planning to require a degree actually in interpreting. As far as we know, any degree will qualify - it's just a matter of making sure you have some higher education. Here are the planned requirements:
RID adopt and publicize the following schedule for when all test candidates must have a degree from an accredited institution to stand for any RID certificate:

Effective June 30, 2008, candidates for RID certification must have a minimum of an associate’s degree. Effective June 30, 2012, Deaf candidates must have a minimum of an associate’s degree.

Effective June 30, 2012, candidates for RID certification must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Effective June 30, 2016, Deaf candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.

By June 30, 2006, the Certification Council shall establish equivalent alternative criteria allowable in lieu of the educational requirements such as one or more of the following:

Life experience, years of professional experience, years of education (credit hours) not totaling a formal degree.

I hope that helps! :D

:wave: :welcome: to Alldeaf slachance. I hope you are enjoying meeting and talking to new people here on AD. Good luck on you ITP program, and hopefully soon you will be come a Certified Interpreter!! Best wishes for a Happy New Year!! :angel:

Back