Hearing mommy of newly diagnosed deaf son!

Faire joure, FYI hearing is NOT a "stand alone sense" Even hearing people read lips. There are actually a bunch of sounds that can only be differenated by reading them on the lips.
Besides, if language could be aquirred solely through audition alone, then deaf-blind kids (talking about the ones who are not severely multihandicapped)would be at a HUGE advantage in learning speech.
BUT, did you know that BLIND kids (who have PERFECT hearing) have to have speech and language therapy?

Faire joure, FYI hearing is NOT a "stand alone sense" Even hearing people read lips. There are actually a bunch of sounds that can only be differenated by reading them on the lips.Besides, if language could be aquirred solely through audition alone, then deaf-blind kids (talking about the ones who are not severely multihandicapped)would be at a HUGE advantage in learning speech.
BUT, did you know that BLIND kids (who have PERFECT hearing) have to have speech and language therapy?

This is absolutely untrue. Every sound in the English language is discernible through audition alone.

Tell me two sounds and I will tell you the frequency formants in which they differ.

Faire joure, FYI hearing is NOT a "stand alone sense" Even hearing people read lips. There are actually a bunch of sounds that can only be differenated by reading them on the lips.
Besides, if language could be aquirred solely through audition alone, then deaf-blind kids (talking about the ones who are not severely multihandicapped)would be at a HUGE advantage in learning speech.

Seriously, it isn't true.

Speech is an acoustic event. The thing that makes sounds different, is that they sound different!

Please, please, please tell me which speech sounds can only be differentiated by lipreading, I can not wait to prove you wrong :D

I thought your argument was that many kids couldn't develop spoken language and that they fell behind....

ANYWAY, I clearly said "through listening", and if a child can not hear spoken language, they can not understand.

Even kids who develop spoken language can fall behind but that is not what my argument is about. It seems like you are implying that without a CI, deaf chidlren cant develop speech skills.

Speech is an acoustic event. The thing that makes sounds different, is that they sound different!

Please, please, please tell me which speech sounds can only be differentiated by lipreading, I can not wait to prove you wrong :D

In the bold statement, that is what you want to always be right when we tried to explain our experiences and talking about using the aid of hearing aids and CIs. You are still looking down on us for having us be wrong all the time. We have repeating told many times that hearing aids and CIs are just tools for hearing sounds, not listening. It might be okay for mild to moderate hearing loss. Geeze.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, Waltersfam07. I hope you can stay. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

In the bold statement, that is what you want to always be right when we tried to explain our experiences and talking about using the aid of hearing aids and CIs. You are still looking down on us for having us be wrong all the time. We have repeating told many times that hearing aids and CIs are just tools for hearing sounds, not listening. It might be okay for mild to moderate hearing loss. Geeze.

Just trying to get the truth out. Why should I let things that are blantantly UNTRUE stand? (Like the idea that people with CI's can't understand speech :roll:)

Just trying to get the truth out. Why should I let things that are blantantly UNTRUE stand? (Like the idea that people with CI's can't understand speech :roll:)

Not all people with CI can understand speech. I know two personally who cannot.

Not all people with CI can understand speech. I know two personally who cannot.

Completely agree. Especially if they were implanted after age 5. But the idea that it is impossible for people using hearing aids and CI's to understand speech is way off base.

Thank you, Botts. I am grateful for having you explain that not all CI people can understand speech. :)

eh.... I don't rely on my non-existent hearing to understand what the others are speaking.. I do it in my occupation... sometimes 16+ hours in a day watching everyone talk constatntly..

Grow up already.

Then people need to stop spewing lies!

We don't spew lies. We share our real-life experiences. Against a know-it-all who is sharing information from books, research and second-hand experience.

We don't spew lies. We share our real-life experiences. Against a know-it-all who is sharing information from books, research and second-hand experience.

Saying that there are speech sounds that do not sound different but can be differentiated through lipreading is a FALSE statement of fact. It has NOTHING to do with a personal experience.

If you think we spew lies, I don't know why you bother coming here. You have belittled us, asked us for proof of our experiences, lump us together with a bunch of research, and insist that we treat Miss Kat as one who has her own experiences and should not be labeled as a one-sized-fits-all, yet you can't see fit to treat us with respect in return. This is not a one-way street.

If you think we spew lies, I don't know why you bother coming here. You have belittled us, asked us for proof of our experiences, lump us together with a bunch of research, and insist that we treat Miss Kat as one who has her own experiences and should not be labeled as a one-sized-fits-all, yet you can't see fit to treat us with respect in return. This is not a one-way street.

I corrected a lie that DD repeats over and over and you told me to grow up. Why does it bother you that I refuse to let false statements remain unchallenged? Either DD knows it is false and chooses to say it anyway, or she is ignorant to the truth and I am sick of her speaking from ignorance.

I have never denied anyone's experience, but yes, I refuse to believe that one person's experience defines everyone else's. I have talked to so many different people with different perspectives and opinions.

It doesn't bother me that you want to challenge statements you think are false.

What does bother me is that you pick on just about everybody's posts here. Not just DD. And perhaps what DD says, she believes to be true. It may not be, but does it make it a lie? Not if it was not intentional and what she believed. My point is that you have an unbelievably arrogant attitude towards everyone here that has become very unfriendly, and you are undercutting our actual real-life experiences by doing so. When I reply to your posts, it is not to be arrogant on my part. It is to share what I've experienced.

It doesn't bother me that you want to challenge statements you think are false.

What does bother me is that you pick on just about everybody's posts here. Not just DD. And perhaps what DD says, she believes to be true. It may not be, but does it make it a lie? Not if it was not intentional and what she believed. My point is that you have an unbelievably arrogant attitude towards everyone here that has become very unfriendly, and you are undercutting our actual real-life experiences by doing so. When I reply to your posts, it is not to be arrogant on my part. It is to share what I've experienced.

Same here.

Back