Hearing loss can be inherit??

camilleryans

Reaction score
I looked liked mother, people and even me say it. However, she got hearing loss, of course she always wears her hearing aids to hear other people. She is 46 now. I am just wondering is there a possibility that I might inherit her hearing loss? She got it when she was college and I always thinking if I have it. I don't feel any pain in my ears or difficulty hearing people, but is there a chance I have it? Please help.

All replies would be high appreciated.

there is a sybdrome and i no remember it but i know a few with it,they have flash of pure white hair usually where fringe would be,they can suffer with moderate to serve hearing loss but i dont think they all do i got feeling that inherited,it gentic...you and your mum would have see genticsis,..yes some deafness is gentic as i seen deaf families,but i would thought this be something picked up before...
things like under active thyroid can cause mild deafness and as that can to run in families.....i sure other people know lot more

Well, it depends on what caused her hearing loss. Yes, it can be inherited, depending on the cause. I have otosclerosis, that's inherited and causes hearing loss. I started losing mine in my 20's, my mom started losing hers in her late 30's or early 40's. My aunt has it, not sure how old she was when it started. But if you found out the cause that would answer your own question.

It usually depends on what caused the deafness. If it's a gene that makes you deaf at birth, then it could be passed on to your offspring. If it's something caused by sickness that's not genetic, then you won't have a deaf offspring.

In my case, I was born hearing. I became deaf because of a common sickness and wasn't properly cared for. If I were to have kids, they would be born hearing.

Your mother, how did she became deaf? Was it progressive? Was it caused by sickness? Was it something that she got from someone else in her family when she was born?

Yes! I know a buddy of mine was born hearin and became deaf at a young age. He inherited deafness from his father and so his two other siblings. He hated bein deaf and now wears C.I. He really enjoys life,again. He also has two more siblings are hearies.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

One thing I would recommend it getting a full proper hearing test done by a AuD. Audiologist (specifically an audiologist, not just a hearing aid fitter etc).

I'd talk to them about your concerns and then start going for annual or bi-annual audiograms so if you do have any changes they're noticed sooner rather than later.

I looked liked mother, people and even me say it. However, she got hearing loss, of course she always wears her hearing aids to hear other people. She is 46 now. I am just wondering is there a possibility that I might inherit her hearing loss? She got it when she was college and I always thinking if I have it. I don't feel any pain in my ears or difficulty hearing people, but is there a chance I have it? Please help.

All replies would be high appreciated.

It can be. Both my grandmothers had hearing loss but as immigrants, both worked in factories as children exposed to loud noises so that could explain it too...or the diabetes I'm sure one of my grandmothers had - health care was non-existent in those days. Of course my mother had Rubella which explains my loss but it could have been a combination of many things with me.

Bear in mind you don't always inherit from your parents. It's lifestyle, luck, how little you protect your hearing and how often you blast your iPods....sometimes hearing loss has to be helped along by ignorance.

Laura

It's also worth keeping in mind that in about 85-90% deaf children are born to hearing parents ... and likewise about 80-90% of deaf parents have hearing children.

My father started to lose his hearing in College - his brother also (he has bilateral CI). I started losing my hearing when I was 4 years old. My sister started losing her hearing when she was 34 years old. Her daughter started losing her hearing when she was 4 (like me).

My great grandmother started to lose her hearing when (???) her father was deaf - his father was deaf ....

So yes, there are hereditary hearing losses. I have a list somewhere that my grandmother made for me listing all of my relatives and known ancestors that were/are deaf.

Yeah but I don't think there's a relation between age acquired losses and from birth losses. In fact most hearing loss is acquired as an adult.

My father started to lose his hearing in College - his brother also (he has bilateral CI). I started losing my hearing when I was 4 years old. My sister started losing her hearing when she was 34 years old. Her daughter started losing her hearing when she was 4 (like me).

My great grandmother started to lose her hearing when (???) her father was deaf - his father was deaf ....

So yes, there are hereditary hearing losses. I have a list somewhere that my grandmother made for me listing all of my relatives and known ancestors that were/are deaf.

Same in my husband's family from his mother's side. They have genetic progressive hearing loss.

I am positive it is genetic-father's side. All his brothers-had hearing problems-none were DEAF.
I have "passed" my "loss" to my oldest son-however not as severe as mine.

My 2 brothers both are now DEAF
Aside I became bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006. I lost all hearing in Right ear-February 19, 1992. At that point I was in the Profound category.

A genetic test as such would be of "no value" to me-today.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

deafdyke said:
Yeah but I don't think there's a relation between age acquired losses and from birth losses. In fact most hearing loss is acquired as an adult.

There are many types of genetic conditions causing deafness/hearing loss. Some of these present at birth, others have a gradual or delayed onset which may not appear until adulthood.

Regardless they are counted as genetic (so part of the 80-90% figures).

Like ambrosia, I too have otosclerosis. It is hereditary. And it predominantly effects women. I got it from my mother's side, but my case is very odd. The MEN in the family have been the ones effected, not the WOMEN. My great-grandfather and grandfather both had it, and wore HA's in both ears. It skipped my mother, but the gene was passed on to me. I now have HA's in both ears.

I don't know if this is genetic that your mother got it in college. What about the generation before your mother? You are hearing which you have no problem but you worried that you might get that from your mother. I was born deaf in the hearing family, but then my mother was about in her late 60 or early 70 when she start to lose her hearing (condition might be old age). She refused to wear hearing aids which my sister tried to tell her that she can hear with it (my mother forced me to wear hearing aid when I was very young girl. I did not like it at the time).

I gave birth to my son who is hearing and stay hearing all through his life. He can sign with me, but has little problem with his speech as he was used to me when I mispronounced the words. He had to corrected his speech better with the speech therapy.

As far as I could see that I don't believe you don't have to worry about it until if you have a problem with hearing loss or blindness when you age. Just let it go and maybe you can help your mother with sign language so that you both can be comfortable in communication. That is all I have to say.

We are not sure where I got my hearing loss from, but both my kids inherited their hearing loss from me. We all 3 have sensorineural hearing loss. I also had another problem with mine. My father had a hearing loss, but his came from high fevers while in the Army and he got scarlet fever and then malaria. (Finally got that info from his service records that we finally found.)

Got any data to back that up? That's news to me - many children (like myself) went undiagnosed for years. In fact, the largest group of hearing impaired are among children and young adults. The young adults usually because of illness, accident, or self inflicted by years of exposure to hard rock, heavy metal concerts, iPod use, loud, amplified guitars, etc. Most people think hearing loss and deafness is more an old age thing, but ask any audi....."ain't so."

Laura

Thank you for all the replies I really appreciate:aw:

So I did a little research all grateful to your contribution. So I did a little research about genetics and conditions. I found that there is 25% chance that child might not have the condition at first, it is either a condition will trigger it or it will develop overtime. And there is also 25% that a child will inherit the condition and at the very young age has hearing loss. So I might have a chance that I do have the condition or not. But I think my ears are okay for now. I hear sound and people clearly. My mom always say to take care of my ears so I won't have the condition like hers. I guess I will do that. :aw:

Back