Hearing Lecturer in Gally Restroom Peacefully...

M

Mookie

Chatological Humor with Washington Post Columnist Gene Weingarten

Washington, D.C.: Hi Gene,

I'm not a regular reader (but like what I've seen) and after telling a friend a story, he told me to pass it on to you on this venue for your thoughts.

I am a scientist and a lecturer. I am a farily shy person and can NOT use the bathroom (no. 2 that is) when there are other people in the stalls next to me. This is not because I get skeeved at hearing the other people do their business, but rather because I simply can not handle some weird shame I get form being the noise producer.

I like my privacy.

Well, last year I was relocated here for a six week speaking circuit at Gallaudet university. I'm sure that you know that this university is for centered around hearing-impaired people and audiological/language studies. What you may not know is that the undergraduate program is 90% + hearing impaired people while the graduate programs are more like 20% and 80% hearing enabled. My lectures were geared toward the graduate program.

The combination of nerves and excitement preceeding my first lecture date produced a rumble in my stomach that my finely trained machine knows will call crisis if they manifest themselves before 6:30 pm when I get home. This was at 11:30am and my lecture was to start at noon.

In a moment of desperate brilliance, I found out where the undergraduate dining hall was located and sprint-walked into the doors.

What I am here to tell you Gene, is that for the first time EVER--I was able to take care of business in the middle stall in a public restroom, flanked by people doing THEIR business on either side of the partitions next to me in comfort and peace.

Knowing--or at least thinking that those on either side of me couldn't hear my goings on gave me a peace that I never thought I'd know.

My body and schedule changed. I frequented that bathroom happily for six weeks. I went as far as to tuck a newspaper into the back of my pants as I walked to the bathroom under my suit jacket. I parked there for 5-10 minutes at a tiime. It was glorious.

My problem now is that I am at a new university and my body seems to like it's new schedule. I was 15 minutes late to the first lecture at my new university because I had to make an ill-timed emergency trip back to my hotel room.

Anyway, I'll re-train myself.

Gene Weingarten: You are a weird guy, but you have me laughing.

I'm bothered that the author didn't take the time to research his statistics. The undergraduate program is 95% deaf, while graduate is about 53% hearing, 47% deaf (+ or - a couple percentage points).

ayala920 said:
I'm bothered that the author didn't take the time to research his statistics. The undergraduate program is 95% deaf, while graduate is about 53% hearing, 47% deaf (+ or - a couple percentage points).

he actually said 20 to 80 percent DEPENDING ON THE PROGRAM

and second, did he state when this occur? no

it could be true if it happened some time back

-cheers

Back