Hearing infant learning ASL

anjelstar94

Reaction score
I'm hearing, but learning ASL in college and passing it along to my hearing son who is a 1yr old. he has improved alot and is a fast learner as he already knows how to sign eat, more, water and shoes. I think ASL is a beautiful language that i think interests me more than spanish. i just wanted to share my experience because im proud to pass on the language :)

There are a lot of cutesy apps you can get if you are interested. "Baby signs" and the like. Saw em when I searched for this forum's apps. I think its like a trend right now or something? There's also an app that does stories for kids in sign, I think.

I'd skip the "baby signs" and just do proper ASL.

Infants/toddlers/children will modify the signs as they are able, but at least they're learning something *useful* if you show them ASL

i am doing that. Since thats what i am learning in class...but of course im teaching him the simple signs first.

Many "baby sign" guides don't use any real established language. They will allow you to communicate with the baby you've taught, but ASL does that too. Babies and toddlers may have trouble with the fine motor control required for some signs, but guess what: Babies and toddlers don't have perfect oral speech either.

Many "baby sign" guides don't use any real established language. They will allow you to communicate with the baby you've taught, but ASL does that too. Babies and toddlers may have trouble with the fine motor control required for some signs, but guess what: Babies and toddlers don't have perfect oral speech either.

"Like"

Back