Hearing Impairment Interview

applelover22

Reaction score
Hello everyone, :wave:My name is Lilian.

As a part of my biology assignment on hearing damage, we have been asked to interview people on their personal experiences/beliefs with our chosen topic in relation to hearing impairment. The hypothesis that I have decided to research is "Should earphones be banned at schools?"

The following five questions are in relation to this topic, It would be much appreciated if you could answer them.

1) Do you believe listening to music through earphones at a high volume will over time damage your hearing? (why?)

2) Do you believe earphones should be banned at schools? (If yes or no, why?)

3) Do you believe earphones should be manufactured at a set volume?

4) Do you believe that students should be educated more on the long term effects of wearing earphones for an extensive period?

5) What precautions should students take when using earphones?

Thankyou, for taking the time to read this thread, your contributions are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Lilian

I would have to agree that earphones for hearing people should be ban from the schools as it is interfering and not be able to paid attention to the teachers and other students. Also the sounds from the earphones like music can be extremely very loud that you or a hearing person would lose their hearing if you are not careful. You could either become hard of hearing or deaf. It has happened to hearing people who lost their hearing from loud music at parties or rock concerts.

I am not going to answer all the questions that you made out to us. Best way to research is to go to the library or look up on google which will give you information about that. Good luck.

If we control how loud earphones can reach, then there will be less need for hearing aids.

1) Do you believe listening to music through earphones at a high volume will over time damage your hearing? (why?)

....... I'm a progressive HoH. I already am losing my hearing.

sure, teachers will love not having to yell "take them earbuds out!'

nope I want mine loud so I can hear them

4) Do you believe that students should be educated more on the long term effects of wearing earphones for an extensive period?

sure why not

listen to some rock music and don't be stupid

Now you can answer some of my questions!

1) Why do you insist on using the term, "Hearing Impairment?"

2) Do you listen to loud music?

3) Do you know ASL?

4) Are you aware that there's a Deaf Culture out there?

5) Does turbo excite you?

I think we can agree that excessive exposure to loud repetitive sounds over time can damage hearing. So does: hits to the head such as from fighting, walking into objects, and falling, untreated ear infections, exposure to extreme cold weather, and exposure to extreme cold winds.

Cold arctic air can do as much damage to lungs as it does to ears and hearing.

My question is, if loud headphones causes hearing loss, What about the amplified sounds from hearing aids... is that why our hearing continue to degrade? I believe so.

My question is, if loud headphones causes hearing loss, What about the amplified sounds from hearing aids... is that why our hearing continue to degrade? I believe so.

Probably but if we don't wear the aids, our hearing will nevertheless continue to degrade due to atrophy for many or most of us especially for those of us who are deaf without the aids. So it's like damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Hello everyone, :wave:My name is Lilian.

As a part of my biology assignment on hearing damage, we have been asked to interview people on their personal experiences/beliefs with our chosen topic in relation to hearing impairment. The hypothesis that I have decided to research is "Should earphones be banned at schools?"

The following five questions are in relation to this topic, It would be much appreciated if you could answer them.

Thankyou, for taking the time to read this thread, your contributions are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Lilian

1. Nope, I'm Deaf already, don't have any hearing to damage.
2. No, education on the long term risks, Against the Nanny state mentality. We need to return to taking personal responsibility for ourselves and our actions
3. Same as #2
4. Yes, see answer to #2. Look at the drop in smoking based on the education on risks. Headphones don't even have addictive chemical substance in them .
5. As it's hard to predict actual decibel output, an optional "safe volume" mode similar to being able to select internet safe search content levels could be added to devices. Just not mandatory limits.

Banning something will just lead to hackers making ways to bypass the limits.

1. Maybe yes. It will make my hearing loss again.

2. no.

3. yes. Equilizer would nice.

4. yeah they should teach them. most of students disregard their health.

5. not to turn up too loud.

I'm hard of hearing. Earphones are essential to me in school because I use a FM System to help me hear. My FM can not be used with my hearing aids. For hearing individuals headphone are not necessary in school. Your there to learn and pay attention and if that were allowed people would be listening to music and such.

No set volume control because we all having different hearing and some need it louder than others.

Loud music can and will damage your hearing if not now then in the future

I'm hard of hearing but my hearing loss has nothing to do with concerts or listening to headphones (I got an infectious disease as a child and it has been wreaking havoc on my ears ever since...)

I believe it does, however, losing hearing is common as one grows older, so I think it is hard to tell when with some people (not all) whether the loss is due to too many rock shows or too many birthdays...

NO. I think they should be banned in the classroom, however. During class, you need to be listening to the instructor, not listening to music or a podcast. The thing is, you can control the volume, I think it would be more beneficial to really inform students about the real dangers of listening to music too loud, but of course, you can't tell most teenagers anything. If I were a general education teacher, I would pick a day and purchase ear plugs for everyone and make them wear them during my entire lesson and then give a quiz at the end based on what I talked about...I would then explain why listening to earbuds at full volume can be damaging...maybe that would get the point across

Also, not everyone clicks with their peers, wants to be social with them, or some really just want to relax and listen to music before first period starts...when I was in junior high/high school, a lot of people would bring their discmans and walkmans to school so they could chill before the day began...

They should go to 11...haha just kidding seriously, tho...NO. Since I am hard of hearing, I do need to have the volume louder, if it wasn't, I wouldn't be able to use them

YES

There's not really a lot of precautions aside from keeping it at a safe volume and limiting its usage

....... I'm a progressive HoH. I already am losing my hearing.

sure, teachers will love not having to yell "take them earbuds out!'

nope I want mine loud so I can hear them

sure why not

listen to some rock music and don't be stupid

Now you can answer some of my questions!

1) Why do you insist on using the term, "Hearing Impairment?"

2) Do you listen to loud music?

3) Do you know ASL?

4) Are you aware that there's a Deaf Culture out there?

5) Does turbo excite you?

I love your answers and your questions! I think a better term for what op meant is damaging hearing, not hearing impairment, imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AllDeaf App mobile app

There a lot of other things that came damage a person hearing. My dad owned a buckle factory and working around the machinery all day damage his hearing . I had an auto mechanic who lost hearing from years of working cars and his airplane . So should auto mechanic classes be banned too?

There a lot of other things that came damage a person hearing. My dad owned a buckle factory and working around the machinery all day damage his hearing . I had an auto mechanic who lost hearing from years of working cars and his airplane . So should auto mechanic classes be banned too?

On the bold statement, the auto mechanic should have worn his ear muffs (silence sound) while working on cars and airplanes that deal with loud noises. So would your Dad to use the special ear muffs to diminish the loud sounds. If you did not know that, then you learn.

My husband had to wear ear muffs while working in the forest cutting trees down with his chainsaw for a living. Chainsaw was very loud and can damage hearing.

On the bold statement, the auto mechanic should have worn his ear muffs (silence sound) while working on cars and airplanes that deal with loud noises. So would your Dad to use the special ear muffs to diminish the loud sounds. If you did not know that, then you learn.

My husband had to wear ear muffs while working in the forest cutting trees down with his chainsaw for a living. Chainsaw was very loud and can damage hearing.

People did not think of this in the 50's and there was no way in hell my dad would had wore ear muffs to block out sounds he had to hear what was going on. If someone got hurt he needed to stop the machine before a person got hurt more. You can't wear headgears at all jobs. And auto mechanics have to heard how the car sound , I would not go an auto shop if all the auto mechanics wore headgears to block out sounds.

How about we ban wars. Thousands of vets with hearing loss. Can't wear ear protection when hunting and listening for enemy that if trying to kill you.

Personal freedom. My freedom to swing my first ends at your nose.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AllDeaf App mobile app

People did not think of this in the 50's and there was no way in hell my dad would had wore ear muffs to block out sounds he had to hear what was going on. If someone got hurt he needed to stop the machine before a person got hurt more. You can't wear headgears at all jobs. And auto mechanics have to heard how the car sound , I would not go an auto shop if all the auto mechanics wore headgears to block out sounds.

How about we ban wars. Thousands of vets with hearing loss. Can't wear ear protection when hunting and listening for enemy that if trying to kill you.

Good grief! :roll:

Back