Hearing Impaired Term?

I don’t call myself anything. I don’t even tell people that I don’t have normal hearing. People are just too stupid to understand.

Chase said:
Well, I was the fool . . . but, yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. That kind of attention costs hearies about $9 a minute on the phone, ha ha ha.

:rofl:

She wasn't being a friend....she was being paternalistic and insulting. Chase at least had the courtesy to be complimentary toward her attractiveness.

Exactly!

jillio said:
But you know what else I have great difficulty understanding? Women spend considerable time and money grooming themselves so that they will appear attractive to the opposite sex. But then, when a male comments or notices the attractiveness of a female, he is suddenly accused of committing some degree of sexual harrassment and of being insensitive.

Go figure! :dunno:

:tsk

I doubt she thinks that way about you. She was trying to being nice the best she knows how because each person she approach is different. But if she going to be treated that way, then what's the point for her coming at all?

As far as sexual, I was talking about my experience.. geez, I had men pinch my butt and all and I am just trying to do my job. I didn't come there so I could be harrassed.. but I put up with it, because some men really are mental. (and if you start doing that way, and that's how I will see you too)

Tsk, yourself. Treated what way? I let her instruct and patronize me. That's treating someone who assumes wrong things as a gentleman should, with patience and forebearance.

And here I'm doing so again while someone imagines wrong things and goes on and on about them. <<Chase straightens halo.>>

If you don't like how she is treating you, you should not be acting like she is a 9 cent a minute call.

She is young enough to be your child who is probably nervous and uncomfortable.

I doubt she thinks that way about you. She was trying to being nice the best she knows how. Maybe she was just trying to start a conversation but feels uncomfortable being there.

As far as sexual, I was talking about my experience.. geez, I had men pinch my butt and all and I am just trying to do my job. I didn't come there so I could be harrassed.. but I put up with it, because some men really are mental.

Most of us, oldies were raised with good old-fashioned values, modes of behaviors and manners. Chase, a gentleman, was in the right by being kind to this lady who was being what Jillio said, paternalistic.

If you don't like how she is treating you, you should not be acting like she is a 9 cent a minute call.

I clearly said I did like the attention. I clearly said I did not behave badly. The young woman was not at all nervous, but quite comfortable with her assumptions . . . as in the case above.

Obviously, there's no ability to read beyond one's own assumptions for the elderly, males, deaf, veterans (pick one). And again, this seems to turn on the caregiver's feelings and complete disregard the patient's.

Many veterans have to put up with it, due a great deal to too much contact and care provided by volunteers with haphazard training or aids with an attitude.

I doubt she thinks that way about you. She was trying to being nice the best she knows how. Maybe she was just trying to start a conversation but feels uncomfortable being there.

As far as sexual, I was talking about my experience.. geez, I had men pinch my butt and all and I am just trying to do my job. I didn't come there so I could be harrassed.. but I put up with it, because some men really are mental.

And some women really are "mental", as well.

I think that was a 9 dollar a minute call, LOL!

One cute thirty-something volunteer at the veterans' center sat me down, stroking me like a wayward cat. I enjoyed it too much to let her know I speech-read, so she wrote me how they have hearing aids now that no one will notice, so that without embarrassment, my final days would be so much richer--if I would only try them. I was hoping she would take me home with her, but a nurse who knew me came out and saved her.

So you're very correct, the perception of "hearing-impaired" for old duffers is often tinged with suspicions of dementia, as well.

I can envision you looking like a contented cat! :laugh2:

Most of us, oldies were raised with good old-fashioned values, modes of behaviors and manners. Chase, a gentleman, was in the right by being kind to this lady who was being what Jillio said, paternalistic.

And, as do you, I appreciate those manners and social graces and do not interpret them to be lecherous behavior. A gentleman can open my door, or compliment me any time he wishes, and I certainly will not be offended or accuse him of sexual harrassment or overly macho behavior. However, I abhor being patronized, whether it comes from a male or a female.:giggle: It is simply insulting.

Some of women and girls in Atlanta (where I used to live) don't appreciate any of those such as men and boys opening doors for them now. This is so sad to see where this country is heading to.

Some of women and girls in Atlanta (where I used to live) don't appreciate any of those such as men and boys opening doors for them now. This is so sad to see where this country is heading to.
Yeah. I agree. People are becoming to selfish and looking at things from a wrong point of view and making wrong assumptions. :(

I'm not one of them as I appreciate those courtesies. I was brought up in the days of old-fashioned values. My hubby still carries those out with me. Yes, it's sad to see those mannerisms fading.

And, as do you, I appreciate those manners and social graces and do not interpret them to be lecherous behavior. A gentleman can open my door, or compliment me any time he wishes, and I certainly will not be offended or accuse him of sexual harrassment or overly macho behavior. However, I abhor being patronized, whether it comes from a male or a female.:giggle: It is simply insulting.
am the same, jillio worded nicely.

now, back to the topic please. :)

question for profound deafies (all forms of hearies opinions are welcome too)
I am not profoundly deaf, but I don't consider myself a "form of hearie" either. I am HOH. Can you clarify this for me?

The jury's still out on this one for me. If I say I'm deaf, people say- but you're not deaf, you can hear/hear me without your hearing aids in. I barely know any sign language, and I was mostly mainstreamed at school, so I don't feel that I can 'claim' the label of deaf. My hearing loss is so varied that it's difficult to explain without just showing someone an audiogram and explaining what it all means. I think people think that, with a deaf person, if you shout loud enough they will eventually hear you.

If I say hard of hearing it makes me feel elderly, and like I've got a mild loss. As if I should wear those terrible in the ear/in the canal aids they offer for sale with photos of smiling grandparents in leaflets.

I used to say hearing impaired but since visiting AD it grates on me. I wear glasses but don't say visually impaired, or height impaired, or male impaired! It doesn't convey the accomodations people need to make for me. It doesn't convey when I'm really trying and struggling and still can't understand. I think people use deaf to mean someone with a severe/profound loss, who cannot hear speech without aids- but sometimes, even with aids I might as well be functionally deaf because I don't understand the sounds I'm hearing.

So, I really can't decide. None of these terms seem to fit.

Just say, "I have a hearing loss" and not worry about terms. Or just pick one, and if they have a problem then that means it is their problem and not yours.

Back