Hearing Impaired and Law Enforcement

cykotic

Reaction score
I feel kind of weird posting this and I hope I don't offend anyone. I am currently a cadet in a Police Academy in Napa, CA. I am doing a project on hearing impaired persons in hopes of better educating myself and my fellow cadets on the aspects of how we can better interact with persons who are hearing impaired. Also things about the culture that we should be aware of and how we can better prepare ourselves, or things that we should be doing to benefit both the law enforcement officer and the person that we are interacting with. I was wondering if anyone might be open to answering some interview questions for me. I know this is a lot to ask but I appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer.

Welcome aboard. I love your name. My ex is in corrections and there deffinately needs to be more awareness. There are a few officers around here that I'm sure will help you. Good luck.

Thanks alot everyone. Here are some of the questions that i've come up with so far. Please feel free to add anything that you may feel is of importance or that may be a benefit. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

1. Biography. Just a little bit about yourself. How long have you been hearing impaired?

2. What are processes or procedures you have developed to help you cope?

3. What is the most important thing you feel that law enforcement should be made aware of in regards to hearing impaired persons? i.e. myths, practices

4. What are things you would like to see law enforcement officers do to help better interact with persons who are hearing impaired?

5. Have you ever had a negative encounter with a law enforcement officer because of your impairment?

6. What are your best methods of communication?

7. Are there things that you feel society should know or do to better interact with hearing impaired persons? Kind of like how diabetics have a bracelet identifying that they are diabetic.

8. Do you feel that as a person who is hearing impaired, that you’re more susceptible to being a victim of a crime and not being aware of it taking place? i.e. burglary, home invasion, vehicle theft?

9. Kind of like Spanish, should officer be trained or at least study some basic sign language?

I was born in Houston, Texas although I never have met this police officer. I have heard he has a very good reputation. He is retired from the Houston Police Deptartment. Hope this helps you and God Bless you on becoming a police officer with the Napa Police Deptartment in California.

http://www.policeanddeafness.freehomepage.com/

Thanks alot everyone. Here are some of the questions that i've come up with so far. Please feel free to add anything that you may feel is of importance or that may be a benefit. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

1. Biography. Just a little bit about yourself. How long have you been hearing impaired?

Born Deaf since birth

2. What are processes or procedures you have developed to help you cope?

American Sign Language, Paper and pen and sign language interpreter in ASL

3. What is the most important thing you feel that law enforcement should be made aware of in regards to hearing impaired persons? i.e. myths, practices

Many Deaf people are very nervous when pulled over. Try not to be too surprised if they already are showing you a business card that says they are Deaf before they show their driver's license or they are pointing their finger to their ears to tell you that they are Deaf. I know it can be disconcerning to a police officer to have somebody already showing a card or telling you that he/she is Deaf without the police officer's permission. That is because Deaf people can get nervous and they forget the appropriate steps to staying safe when pulled over by a police officer. Have An ASL interpreter present for reading the miranda rights and all interviews during your normal course of police investigation work. For a traffic pull over, I just tell them I am Deaf then do what they say. Some Deaf people can do this and some can't due to being very nervous or angry they are being pulled over by the police and they forget the police is only doing his job.

4. What are things you would like to see law enforcement officers do to help better interact with persons who are hearing impaired?

You can hold Deaf events at Deaf organizations or welcome them to a visitor's room at the police dept. where there is coffee, soda and refreshments and a presentation done with ASL interpreters then take questions after the presentations.

5. Have you ever had a negative encounter with a law enforcement officer because of your impairment?

Yes, both positive and negative. My family comes from a long line of military and law enforcement.

6. What are your best methods of communication?

ASL, paper and pen

7. Are there things that you feel society should know or do to better interact with hearing impaired persons? Kind of like how diabetics have a bracelet identifying that they are diabetic.

Some Deaf people want a bracelet or an emergency card in their wallet or purse next to their driver license. It really depends on each Deaf individual. Some Deaf people have no identifying marks let alone a hearing aid or a cochlear implant some don't even wear a hearing aid / cochlear implant at all.

8. Do you feel that as a person who is hearing impaired, that you’re more susceptible to being a victim of a crime and not being aware of it taking place? i.e. burglary, home invasion, vehicle theft?

It depends on the Deaf person's level of awareness and the life experiences that he or she has been through. I am very hyperviligiant and will fight at will if somebody tried to break into my home. If I am not aware of a home burglary taking place and I am in a different part of the house in another room, it is probably better that I don't know about it because there would be a life and death confrontation for sure. I am not saying steal from my house no way !!!!I am saying if he steals from my house and I don't know about it then I want my things back asap I know something is missing. I would have the police on the case for sure.

9. Kind of like Spanish, should officer be trained or at least study some basic sign language?

Yes, basic sign language that are related to police work also once you know more sign language you should do all you can to learn more sign language. Here is a free resource at:ASLPro.com Home

>< that is so awesome cykotic that your doing this. i commend you. ^^

Awesome. Thanks a bunch for that heath. That website looks great and will be a great benefit in my project. Thanks vithios. Hopefully this can help make changes to those who may be the future in law enforcement.

I think Heath nailed it on the cooments about being pulled over. It makes me a bit nervous in this day and age. On COPS I see police shouting to drivers directions and I wonder what would happen in the case of a Deaf person. Of course, I don't lead them on police chases, etc..., but just kind of wonder about it.

deaf since age 11 which means for 28 years now.

Good Idea, My bro is a OHCODA and an Cop too in Charloette NC area.. but he is hard to catch on emails etc.. always busy busy with his job and his off duty jobs..
Did ya know that there is a police enforcement courses at Eastern Kentucky Univsersity and they encorage all cadets to learn ASL bec i was stopped by KSP other day and surpsie to see a cop sign and he said took asl courses at EKU.. that really impressed me

I feel kind of weird posting this and I hope I don't offend anyone. I am currently a cadet in a Police Academy in Napa, CA. I am doing a project on hearing impaired persons in hopes of better educating myself and my fellow cadets on the aspects of how we can better interact with persons who are hearing impaired. Also things about the culture that we should be aware of and how we can better prepare ourselves, or things that we should be doing to benefit both the law enforcement officer and the person that we are interacting with. I was wondering if anyone might be open to answering some interview questions for me. I know this is a lot to ask but I appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer.

Cykotic. First, congrats getting into the academy. I put together a program for our officers. I will be more than happy to share with you this program. I designed it specificially with cadets in mind and it has now been incorporated into all academy classes. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information.

Back