Hearing guys and "Children of a Lesser God"

Kaitin

Reaction score
AD women I need your opinion.

My hearing roommate and I disagree. I think some hearing guys have weird interest (not weird because sex - just weird) in deaf/HoH women about "Children of a Lesser God" movie. If I meet a hearing guy and he asks about the movie and says "how fascinated" and wonderful etc about the movie I have no interest in him. I think "you are weird about deaf/HoH women" and move on without second thought.

My hearing roommate laughs at me (not in the mean way) and says the guys are not weird about deaf/HoH women and they deserve a chance.

So AD women - do you understand about CoaLG movie and hearing guys? When a hearing guy is --> :o about the movie do you --> ::roll:.

And hearing guys - I don't mean offense because I think this idea is funny. So not so serious. :)

I can say that I have never watched that movie. Also, I like to watch movies with sign in it to see if they use the correct signs. It goes with watching military movies, see if the person has the right rank on or how his uniform is wrong.

It just that it is a different culture for us that are hearing, and like me, it is interesting and everything.

I can say that I have never watched that movie. Also, I like to watch movies with sign in it to see if they use the correct signs. It goes with watching military movies, see if the person has the right rank on or how his uniform is wrong.

It just that it is a different culture for us that are hearing, and like me, it is interesting and everything.

My husband says the same thing too.

I've watched the movie "Children of the Lesser God" and owns a dvd of that movie. It's a great love movie through the barriers of language between a hearing guy and a deaf woman who can't speak.

I haven't watched it with any hearing guys, I would love to hear their opinion of what they thought of the movie. I wouldn't think any guys werid if they think the movie was fascistic.

I'll love to see more of movies between hearings and deafs, I think that'll help break the communication barriers between hearings and deafs. ;)

I seen the movies and I have not watched with any hearing guy that would give me their input if there were in that situation. I have dated hearing guys, but I can speak so I am not like Sarah in the movie.

For the most part, I think that the interest of ahearing guy in a deaf woman is not weird, but simply openmindedness to other ways of life. However, there are always those people out there who will be attracted to people with any kind of disability because they have a distorted desire to be needed, and to be seen as a savior. This can happen with hearing/deaf men and women, or hearing/deaf women and men, as well. Everyone needs to be aware that those kind of people exist, and to avoid relationships like that.

However, I also have seen many examples of hearing/deaf relationships that work because each partner sees the other as a valuable person first, and their hearing status second.

For the most part, I think that the interest of ahearing guy in a deaf woman is not weird, but simply openmindedness to other ways of life. However, there are always those people out there who will be attracted to people with any kind of disability because they have a distorted desire to be needed, and to be seen as a savior. This can happen with hearing/deaf men and women, or hearing/deaf women and men, as well. Everyone needs to be aware that those kind of people exist, and to avoid relationships like that.

However, I also have seen many examples of hearing/deaf relationships that work because each partner sees the other as a valuable person first, and their hearing status second.

:ty:, Jillio. The weird hearing guys thinking about hearing/deaf/HoH first I think.

I don't like "Children of a Lesser God" because I think the hearing man is arrogant, pushy, and too interested in her speech all the time. I don't care if someone likes the movie - no problem but I meet some hearing guys who want "to be seen as a savior" like Jillio says. :run:

:)

:ty:, Jillio. The weird hearing guys thinking about hearing/deaf/HoH first I think.

I don't like "Children of a Lesser God" because I think the hearing man is arrogant, pushy, and too interested in her speech all the time. I don't care if someone likes the movie - no problem but I meet some hearing guys who want "to be seen as a savior" like Jillio says. :run:

U just refreshed my memory. Yes, he was too focused on her speech skills. If my husband was like that, we wouldnt stand a chance. I have met some guys who said they are attracted to deaf girls cuz they see them as "poor lost souls". Makes me want to :barf:

I agree with Jillio. I also agree with Kaitlin's hearing roommate's opinion. Jillio refers to Audists who abuses Deaf person's disadvantage for personal self enrichment purposes. Kaitlin is also right, too. There are Hearing men and guys who thinks having a Deaf Woman or girl is a novelty. An exotic erotic trip. That is audism, too. Too many Hearing men thinks they are superior to Deaf Women intellectually, socially, psychologically in the information world. This is identical to old days when Men considered themselves superior and women inferiors. Same racism.

It is only fair to warn Deaf Women and Deaf Men to beware of their Hearing Spouses who want to help them with legal matters. Do not include Hearing Spouses in legal affairs at all. Their "helping" ends up distorting every Deaf Person's word out of context.

I received an email about this topic from a good friend of mine. She always includes Deaf cartoons, deaf sayings, etc.

This one caught my eye and want to share it with you:

"Deaf Wannabee

One one level, this group caters to the occasional oddball who's sexually attracted to deaf people and/or enjoys wearing aids when they don't really need them. But on a deeper, far more disturbing plane, it offers netwroking tools for those who are sexually aroused by the idea of self-induced permanent silence. It even offers advice for those who consider "crossing the bridge" by deliberately making themselves deaf. The group moderator claims to have "acquired a substantial hearing loss by choice."

Fetish Groups Found on Yahoo! by Jim Goad (6/05)

Yeah, I watched the movie before I finished ASL III and I didn't like the hearing guy at all. Sarah, to me, really wanted an emotional connection; he just wanted to soothe his Mr. Fix-It wants.

Are speech teachers really that way in a traditional SD, though? I know it's a movie but I'm just wondering, 'cause next year I'm going to OSD and am thinking about kicking the nasality out of my voice. I think in general we have come a long way..

U just refreshed my memory. Yes, he was too focused on her speech skills. If my husband was like that, we wouldnt stand a chance. I have met some guys who said they are attracted to deaf girls cuz they see them as "poor lost souls". Makes me want to :barf:

That is sad. I am a hearing guy and I deffinitely don't think of Deaf women like that. Only thought that would be in my head is SWEEET someone to help me build up my ASL.

I received an email about this topic from a good friend of mine. She always includes Deaf cartoons, deaf sayings, etc.

This one caught my eye and want to share it with you:

It is not the same thing as what you are implying about "the Oddball". Kaitin was saying that the speech teacher who is interest in Sarah, because she is Deaf and does not speak, only that she is using ASL signs. He just want to change her to make her talk and keep bugging her to talk until she breaks down and scream at him with her funny voice. She does not like her voice at all and won't speak at all. She is very angry with her mother, the speech teacher and the whole world who want her to speak and no one bother to sign to her without pressuring her to speak. She want her mother to sign to her. She was glad that the speech teacher signed to her but pressure her to speak sent her off separate from him. That is how arrogant, pushy and so obsession on wanting her to speak so that he can have his way to make her like him. That is why Kaitin call him the "Oddball". It is a sad movie and personally I don't like that guy at all for what he did to Sarah. I don't know about happy ending and it is the same with the other movie "Sweet Nothing in my ear" where in the end there is no happy ending at all. It just left us with a question mark. :(

Back