Hearing Girl, Looking for Advice.

hellos245

Reaction score
:wave:

I'm 23, and currently live in Madison, WI but plan to move to Portland, OR -or- Seattle, WA to go back to school for ASL.
Im very interested in ASL, and want to work in the Deaf Community in the medical field. I was just wondering what are the best things to look for in a school for ASL, and the community.
Any advice is great.

--:confused: Right now Im debating between

Portland Community College:
Sign Language Interpretation | PCC
Sign Language Studies | PCC

-OR-

Seattle Community College:
Deaf Studies

Any advice would be great. Anybody from the Portland or Seattle area?

Thanks, :ty:
Danielle

hellos245; My daughter has worked with hard of hearing kids in school and she may know more about the schools in the Seattle area. She is in Kent. If you like I can give you her email address and you can contact her. Or you can give me yours and I can have her contact you. She is not hearing impaired as her dad is. I get my second CI activated on March one :)

I was a former student from Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, Washington between 1973 and 1975. I did not graduated. Now it is 2011 and you have Deaf Studies which I am not aware of this. Back then, I don't remember if SCCC had a Deaf Studies. Very interesting. I love the Deaf community both in dormitory and college campus. We all signed a lot and having the interpreters in classes was really great and I learned a lot. The reason I did not graduate was I did not get the encouragement to keep up the difficult course in Psychology which is a requirement for the Mental Health program. I am suppose to be an outreach counselor to help any deafies who might have problems with their depression or other mental issues. I learned I am very good at Sociology which I did with good grades than Psychology. I hate Psychology with a passion. Maybe I may have a mental problem with that. :lol:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I was a former student from Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, Washington between 1973 and 1975. I did not graduated. Now it is 2011 and you have Deaf Studies which I am not aware of this. Back then, I don't remember if SCCC had a Deaf Studies. Very interesting. I love the Deaf community both in dormitory and college campus. We all signed a lot and having the interpreters in classes was really great and I learned a lot. The reason I did not graduate was I did not get the encouragement to keep up the difficult course in Psychology which is a requirement for the Mental Health program. I am suppose to be an outreach counselor to help any deafies who might have problems with their depression or other mental issues. I learned I am very good at Sociology which I did with good grades than Psychology. I hate Psychology with a passion. Maybe I may have a mental problem with that. :lol:

What did you do in the medical field? Can I get a receptionist type job with a Deaf Studies degree/certificate? Or should I go for interpreting?

What did you do in the medical field? Can I get a receptionist type job with a Deaf Studies degree/certificate? Or should I go for interpreting?
You don't need a degree to get a receptionist job
If you want a degree, you can get one in office management degree

Then, you could work as a receptionist and take part-time Deaf studies classes at the same time.

Last edited:
helooooooooooooooooooooooooooo im not deaf but i do really support this i was raised by a deaf mother may her soul rest in peace and im looking forward to have my love as a deaf lady to be remembering my mum and im from africa ghana is where yu locate me..........+233269348636and my yahoo id is naralison@yahoo.com

hellos245 I passed your email address along to my daughter in Kent. Hopefully she will have some info for you. Good luck

Back