Hearing girl looking for a deaf friend :)

tessanoelle

Reaction score
Hello to whoever may be reading this~

I'm Tessa :) I'm 19 years old and I live in California. My whole life I've had an interest in the deaf community, culture, history, language, etc., and this year I've finally gotten my chance to begin studying it in college. And I can honestly say that in my short amount of time in my ASL101 class so far, I've fallen in love with everything about it even more! I have a great teacher and a great class. My school actually has a really great deaf studies program for a community college and a lot of deaf students attend my school, so it's really a great place to learn.

My problem is that I haven't really been able to connect with that many deaf people yet because I'm still refining my basic skills and I often have trouble understanding when people sign to me at a fast pace and because of this I get kind of intimidated to go out and try my conversation skills.

I found this forum and am making this post in hopes that someone might be willing to help me out. Ultimately, I was hoping I could meet a deaf friend who would be my video pal! Maybe skype with me sometimes and teach me more about deaf culture, while helping me practice my conversation skills too.

I just had a meeting with my counselor yesterday about my education plan. I told him I most likely would want to be an interpreter for ASL and he helped me pick a plan. Finding ASL and this culture was really a breakthough for me, because for so long I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. But this finally seems like a good fit for me because I'm really, genuinely interested in it and I couldn't be more excited to start learning even more :)

Now that I've finished my ramblings... Any takers? :aw:

(Edit: I am well aware that a lot of deaf people feel like us hearing are just trying to use them for homework help or don't really respect or want to understand their language or culture, but I genuinely really just want a friend here! Yes, a deaf friend, but I do not at all intend to use people. I intend to make a friend, above all. I swear to you my intentions are good! And if i've at all offended someone in any way, please enlighten me and let me know what I did wrong. I am very open to any help that is at all possible here.)

YEY! Another fellow from the Bay Area. Welcome to AllDeaf. I'd like to be your friend. . . but I guess I don't fit the criteria. . . :|

:laugh2: Us Deaf people you know, we like to hide... :laugh2:

:welcome:

Don't think your post was offensive, we do however... get a large amount of people like you who join and are SOOOO passionate about the Deaf culture and poof... vanish never to be heard from again... :D

authentic - Thank you! Hello :wave:

MSmiles - Oh no that's not what I meant at all! Of course I'm interested in making all types of friends. Are you hearing too?

Mewtilation - Thank you! Hello :wave: That's not what I planned to do at all! I'm as serious about this as I said. I'm glad you came out of hiding to reply to my post :)

It's nice to meet all of you :)

Welcome to all deaf.....feed your eyes on ting girl...ASL is an a swims language....pick it up and keep it, use it, go dancin with us deafies.....jump in....we always appreciate chillin with classy hearie ladies.....
ASL rocks Girl...I hope you find it as cool and smooth as it is...

If you want to learn more about deaf culture and have some laughs as well check out http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

No, I'm not implying that you're annoying but it's just a funny set of stories on what it's like sometimes dealing with hearies. And if you browse around we always have a thread or two going daily thanks to someone in chicago.

Feel free to participate in many of the threads we got here, we're not going to tell you to get lost. Like Mewtilation said, we just get a ton of hearies who come here who treat us like we're some kind of pet and then they get bored and disappear after a few days. So don't be surprised if we're not all jumping for joy to welcome you.

As for learning ASL I think you'd be better off learning from lifeprint.com or the various youtube ASL videos. There's tons of ASL videos out there and you'd benefit more than trying to find some Skype pal here.

If you want to learn more about deaf culture and have some laughs as well check out http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

No, I'm not implying that you're annoying but it's just a funny set of stories on what it's like sometimes dealing with hearies. And if you browse around we always have a thread or two going daily thanks to someone in chicago.

Feel free to participate in many of the threads we got here, we're not going to tell you to get lost. Like Mewtilation said, we just get a ton of hearies who come here who treat us like we're some kind of pet and then they get bored and disappear after a few days. So don't be surprised if we're not all jumping for joy to welcome you.

As for learning ASL I think you'd be better off learning from lifeprint.com or the various youtube ASL videos. There's tons of ASL videos out there and you'd benefit more than trying to find some Skype pal here.

Yeah sure :). I'm always talking about cats clapping.

I hope you do not get bored with Deaf people! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Hoichi - Hahaha it does rock! Thank you :)

A Nihilist - I shall check it out! I don't blame you. I'm sure it must be irritating dealing with all the people like that. I know, I do learn off of videos as well but I just felt like if I had someone to practice with my conversation skills would get better. Cause videos can't really talk back :|

uniprin - Oh dear. I'm so sorry! I totally read about that in For Hearing People Only and it's slipped my mind a couple times. Thank you for correcting me.

SilverRoxy - I do not plan on it! Thank you :)

Hoichi - Hahaha it does rock! Thank you :)

A Nihilist - I shall check it out! I don't blame you. I'm sure it must be irritating dealing with all the people like that. I know, I do learn off of videos as well but I just felt like if I had someone to practice with my conversation skills would get better. Cause videos can't really talk back :|

uniprin - Oh dear. I'm so sorry! I totally read about that in For Hearing People Only and it's slipped my mind a couple times. Thank you for correcting me.

SilverRoxy - I do not plan on it! Thank you :)

The D in Deaf is only capitalized if you're referring to being culturally Deaf... as in being part of the Deaf community. People can be deaf and not be Deaf. Don't listen to whoever uniprin is... Clearly, he is not the brightest crayon in the box.

Welcome!! Dont worry people here will just beat you up and bite your head off but thats all. Jk jk. There is nice people here and stuff just have fun!!

Hey Welcome to AllDeaf, I'm hearing but I've been here a few weeks and I'm also trying to learn ASL. The college where I live doesn't provide ASL classes, so I'm learning through lifeprint, but if you'd like, we could help eachother out. It's really a beautiful language.

authentic - Thank you! Hello :wave:

MSmiles - Oh no that's not what I meant at all! Of course I'm interested in making all types of friends. Are you hearing too?

Mewtilation - Thank you! Hello :wave: That's not what I planned to do at all! I'm as serious about this as I said. I'm glad you came out of hiding to reply to my post :)

It's nice to meet all of you :)

Yes, I'm hearing. What Part of the bay are you from? North, east . . . ? I'm from north bay.

Sent from my iPod touch using AllDeaf

Pfffffftttt.

As for kdenton2990.

Hearies are all the same when it comes with learning ASL. I am being blunt that you are not going to like what you want to see what we have to say. Don't ever use us like as if we are toys or pets if you are interest in ASL. You should have gone to the ASL class if there is a community place like YWCA or YMCA. There might be a ASL class in the Church where there are Deaf people being interpreted by ASL interpreters. I don't care if they could not afford ASL class or make excuses that there is no classes anywhere in your area. I don't know why you have to use lifeprint or some website to help you learn ASL. This is not the right or correct way to learn ASL. In person, it is how we sign in the correct way. Hearing people just don't get it. **sigh** You will sign in a very insulting way if you don't sign correctly. :(

As for tessanoelle.

(My school actually has a really great deaf studies program for a community college and a lot of deaf students attend my school, so it's really a great place to learn.)

You could have gone up to the d/Deaf students and asked them if they know ASL. If they do, both of you would learn how to sign together instead of being here in the first place. So I guess you were scary cat, not being able to communicate with one or two of them. So now you are asking us here instead of facing them in real life. Geeze.

Mewtilation - Oh okay. Thank you for clearing that up! Much appreciated :)

Dreamer03 - Hahaha I appreciate it! Thank you :)

kdenton2990 - I would be open to that! I think my skype is on my profile.

MSmiles - I'm from the east bay! :) Somewhat close haha

Bebonang - By all means that is what I intend to do at some point, I just have been super busy this semester with a lot of other things on my plate. But yes, you are correct. I am a scaredy cat as well. And luckily, I have gotten offers from a few people who are willing to help me practice and get to know me, one of them actually deaf themselves. I do converse with the aides in my class but I haven't made a friend yet which is what I intend to do someday. It's okay if you don't understand where I'm coming from or think that I'm dumb for reaching out the way I am, but I'm just trying to learn more about the Deaf culture from all different kinds of aspects, not just from my school. And I am sorry if reaching out here seems like I'm doing something wrong, but a lot of people have been super welcoming and therefore I will not stop to continue reaching out here :)

Back