Hearing from Virginia looking for some culture insight :)

Machina

Reaction score
Hello all. I discovered your forum through a google search, and after lurking for a bit decided that you all might be amicable to a hearing that started learning ASL as kind of a joke. Before you flame, there is a story; While at a party in college, my fraternity brother and I were sitting with some girls that were drunk and annoying as hell. I tried to motion to him that I wanted to leave, and he mistook it as me joking around and started making up signs. I ran with it, and we were making goody hand gestures for a bit. It was fun, but by the end of the night we made up some signs for some of the typical things guys would talk about at parties.

Well, I figured I might as well actually learn some as these fake signs stuck and we began using them at parties to communicate across the room or when it was too loud to make anything out. There was once instance while I was running security at a party I managed to tell my brother to go get some backup from inside because a dude had grabbed a girl and wouldn't leave, without the dude actually knowing and him standing right next to me.

Now it's like a weekly adventure for my brothers; I learn some new signs from signingsavvy.com or the like, teach it to them, and they are actually starting to build a vocabulary. I joined here to get some insight before some of the habits I have made get too ingrained as I learn more, and to learn some of the culture before someone who is deaf call me out on my horrible signing at a party or the like.

So cheers and hello :)

HEY Machina! I'm from Virginia, too! Welcome! Signing is great, not just for the deaf but for hearing people too! Yes, it does have neat advantage to use to be able to talk with your mouth full or communicating across the room without raising your voice.

Back