hearing dogs

terrifickmb

Reaction score
Does anybody here have or had a hearing dog? what degree hearing loss do you have and how do you find it? what are your thoughts on hearing dogs? i have been thinking alot about it lately as i get older, i am almost 29 single, but still living with my mum, i have moderate-severe sensori neural hearing loss, both ears. nights have always been exceptionaly hard for me, get scared at any little noise i may happen to hear but have no idea did i hear it or imagine it, etc. did i hear a noise or is it just my tinitus. what happens if mum dosnt hear her alarm and dosnt come wake me up , or if she cant attend my appointments to tell me when my name is called , as for phones doors, all that sort stuff, not a chance of hearing it. i can not hear my phone when its right on or by me.
i have never owned a dog but always wanted one, but always had cats, but our cat had to be put down recently so i have been thinking alot about wanting a dog, not necessarily a special hearing dog, but i think any dog in general would be a great assisstance just knowing it is here and if there is anything major such as smoke alarm it would possibly make a fuss etc. of course my mum atm dosnt want to know anything about getting a dog :/ i just think my confidence level esp at night would improve so much.

I know that that in itself (worries about night time) is a reason many people get a dog, regardless of whether it is a hearing ear dog or a regular one. A dog can provide a sense of security.

I think WDYS! has had a hearing ear dog, and I think I have read of other people as well who have had/do have a hearing ear dog. Hopefully one of them will stop in and tell you the info you want.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

-Jason

You can tell your doctors and whoever you have appointments with that you're hoh and have them come get you if you do not hear your name. A hearing dog can be trained to let you know when your being called . My hearing was trained to do this . I got my hearing dog b/c people where ramming their shopping carts right into my ankles b/c I did not hear them trying to pass me . After a 300 lbs. woman did to me I had it and got a hearing dog so jackass people would know I am HOH. I am not sure how it's in your country , but it's a long waiting list here , it can take up 3 to 4 years depending who training the dog. Some places like to give hearing dogs to people that live or alone or have babies or child children first. You'll need to get a hearing test then made some phone calls but you should really starting doing soon and you can always back out it you decide you do not want go though with it. I found having a hearing dog very helpful ,he was trained to pick up things to so I trained him to pick up my keys if I dropped them by mistake and did not hear it .

I'm in the slow process of training my dog to alert me at night. I have bi lateral Cochlear implants and at night I do not hear a thing. Dog will come up and pound front feet on bed and wake me up but so far not reliable. If you Google service dogs or hearing dogs you should come up with a lot of resources. One group I have heard of use pound dogs and trains them then puts them out to homes for free. Only requirement is that it can be the only dog and I think you have to spend some time in training along with the dog. I have wife but she does not always hear either.
good luck

I have no problem with deaf people using hearing dogs at home, but not in public places like stores or restaurants.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I was thinking about getting a hearing dog but I feel like my family will just think I'm wanting attention. Not everyone has understood I'm HoH and fail to accept it.

I have no problem with deaf people using hearing dogs at home, but not in public places like stores or restaurants.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I had to take my hearing dog with me b/c a jerk that lived upstairs was complaining my dog was barking all the time when I went out . He was telling lies about my dog and being the trustee of my building the manger believed the jerk . No one liked the guy and that included my hearing dog.
And my dog was better behave than a lot kid in stores and restaurants and smelled better than some people.

when or if my husband die before me I getting hearing dog it long waiting list

Terrifickmb - I don't know if you live in Canada or not, but if you do, I have heard fantastic things about the Lions Club 'Dog Guides of Canada' program.

-Jason

Back