hearing/deaf

BabyPhat21

Reaction score
would you prefer a hearing or deaf partner?? why??
I would prefer hearing since oral is my main method of communication, I wouldnt be against going out with a deaf person but it is hard to find one i like I am very picky and two the deaf world is very small....while there is more choices in hearing................

i'm mostly toward to deaf partner due to communication. hearing person, it depends on if they want to learn signs or already know sign languages then i'm willing to.

I would go for both depending if they can sign too keep communication easy and also understandin wat deaf cultures are!

I am hearing but I have been asked if I would ever date a deaf woman and my reply was " There would be no difference for me as far as dating deaf or hearing women because I don't understand hearing women either

Originally posted by bbnt
I am hearing but I have been asked if I would ever date a deaf woman and my reply was " There would be no difference for me as far as dating deaf or hearing women because I don't understand hearing women either
Out of curiosity question. Do you work with deaf people or something?

Originally posted by kevbo
Out of curiosity question. Do you work with deaf people or something?

no, but I take my daughter to as many deaf events as I can

Originally posted by bbnt
no, but I take my daughter to as many deaf events as I can

I never knew your daughters were deaf. :eek2:

Originally posted by OldNavyGirl
i'm mostly toward to deaf partner due to communication. hearing person, it depends on if they want to learn signs or already know sign languages then i'm willing to.

Yup. What she said.

Originally posted by kevbo
I never knew your daughters were deaf. :eek2:

I have 3 daughters. My oldest is 20 she is in her 2nd year of collage. Then there are my twins, Brittany and Briana, they are Identical and Brittany is deaf. The twins were born at 29 weeks they had what is called “twin to twin syndrome. What happen is that there is a tube that runs between identical twins and one twin starts to feed the other twin all its blood. When this happens the twin getting all the blood can’t handle it so the baby starts to urinate which increases the Amniotic fluid in the womb.

Because of this their mom gained 12 lbs in 24 hours which put tremendous pressure on her spine. She had to go to the hospital where the doctors preformed an amniocentesis. What they did was insert a long needle into the mother’s stomach and drain some of the fluid to take some of the pressure off their mom’s spine.

It seemed to work but it had 1 side effect, the stress caused one of the waters to break and not long after that they saw signs of infection so the doctors decided it was time to take them out. They preformed a c-section and Briana was the first one out. She was beet red and when Brittany came out she was white as a ghost. It wasn’t hard to figure out who gave the blood to who.

Briana was 3lbs 4oz she has to have blood taken out; she stayed in the hospital 4 weeks. Brittany was 2lbs 4oz she had to have blood put in and she was also born with a hernia {I didn’t know girls could have hernias}. Brittany stayed in the hospital 6 weeks and the total hospital bill was $57,000 dollars all covered by insurance {thank goodness}.

At 16weeks old they preformed a routine hearing test on the kids and we found out Brittany was deaf.. The cause most likely was low birth weight and lack of blood.

I like both of hearing and deaf but example if My hearing bf don't understand me after i teach him about how deaf culture then I decide and rather be deaf date.

hmmmmm

The thought of a deaf partner never crossed my mind until I met my now girlfriend. Its astonishing, she has come farther into my realm of experience than I ever thought a deaf person could. The biggest illustration for this, is that she loves music. She loves going to live performances of classical music at my university, and she has even been to some of the concerts that I have taken part in. It is such a blessing to me, that we can both experience music, because it is such a big part of my life. However, she cannot experience some beautiful sounds that I have experienced, and I dearly wish she could. Oh well, it is no use dwelling on that thought, I know that she is happy with the way she is, and there are many more things that we can enjoy together other than music.

On the communication issue, I am willing and have learned some sign, and am learning new things daily. We're learning together, because she primarily communicates orally, and she lip reads.

I used to only want a deaf partner, but I found a really sweet hearing guy that I could simply not be without! I never knew a hearing guy could get so interested in my world and me. I did not ever imagine that the hearing guy would even be inspired by me to learn sign language or go into interpreting. I hope I do not get left behind when he goes to take his asl classes (because I still have to take asl classes myself).

P.S. Zach, I can listen to any music I want. If you want, you could get a balloon and blow it up so I can feel the vibrations of some of the most beautiful music better. Or turning it up to make it louder, heh... People complain when I turn the volume up too loud.

it doesn't matter hearing or deaf but I highly prefer deaf cuz hearing has no patience...

All the guys I have dated were hearing, except one. My two serious relationships were with hearing. I never had problems with sign language, as they really learnt quickly to communicate with me. (I refuse to read lips or speak sometimes.) I can't really judge which I prefer deaf or hearing, because it really doesn't matter to me. It depends on the person you are with, not just because of his deafness or hearing, but his personality, attitude, etc...

I don't believe in relationship with hearing that will work as I have many friends whose relationship with hearing always have problems, a lot worse than deaf partners in my area. It could be to do with poor deaf awareness in my area.

Also if you have a hearing partner, you will have to go out with hearing people sometimes in relationship and that you can't understand what hearing 'friends' are talking or joking about in the same room as you are in.

To be honest, I feel deafs like me, are being treated like 2nd-class by hearing people (poor communications, being ignored etc).

I have a deaf friend and he has a son & a hearing girlfriend who lives with him. She signed very well and you could be forgiven for thinking that she's deaf. But...

When there is a house party or in pub, he invited me and deaf friends over and she invited her hearing friends as usual. Here we are, his girlfriend and hearings are in living room and him & us are in other room. It just doesn't feel right. It is just the way things are!

Well, even if you date with a deaf partner, remember that some deafies come from hearing families. So you still have to put up with their hearing families too. It is not perfect world either way, deaf or hearing partner.

My last bf did not want me to come with him to celebrate his birthday at TGIF, because he was afraid how communication would be like with his hearing friends. It really hurt my feelings, and I told him that it should not matter. What's important is that I am there for him on his birthday. So, yes, there are some hearing ppl who will treat you as not normal, just because you are deaf. Still, there are some hearies who treats you normally.

That is why I prefer small groups, so that it is easier to communicate with everyone. If it is more than 10 ppl, it is kind of awkward.

Back