Hearing, ASL student going for AA in Sign Language studies, located in Sacramento CA

Terranicholson

Reaction score
Hello!
My name is Terra, I live in Sacramento California. I am a Mom to a 6 year old and a Wife to a wonderful hubby. My hubby encourage me to go to school for what ever I wanted and I choose to go all the way to get my Interpreter Cert.
Now I am only in ASL 1. I got a long way to go.

How i got interested in ASL is my best friend married a Deaf man. He was mainstreamed and his parents refused to learn ASL so he is very easy to communicate with if you dont know ASL.

I was really upset that his parents would not learn ASL and I started thinking about that. I wanted to take classes to be able to communicate with him. Just basic stuff. Since its only his wife I am really friends with, he does repair my computer and still talk with me. Just you know how it is, a friend of a friend thing.

Well after learning about Deaf culture and all the different ways Deaf individuals grow up, I got more interested, more upset and more confused.

So I am reading Deaf Again and the for Hearing people only. I have not been assigned those, i just want to feed my mind.

I hope to make friends on here.

I am worried about people rejecting me cause I am hearing or a student, but I will never know till i try, right?

Thanks,

Terra

Hey Terra!

I know how you feel! I just finished my 2 year program for my interpreting degree, and just got my QA certification for my state. If you need any help or questions about the program from someone who just got finished, feel free to message me!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. It is good to read what you present yourself thinking about Deaf person being married to your best friend. We are pretty much normal like you except that we can not hear sounds. I am just like him when I was mainstreamed and was not allowed to learn ASL and really needed an ASL interpreters in the hearing classroom many years ago. The school I attended was Oral-Only method, no ASL and no special accommodations except if we were in a special education classroom. I had struggled trying to understand hearing people with lipreading (not accurate) in public like workplaces, movie theaters, churches, doctors, courts and many other issues. I was very happy to learn ASL as soon as I graduated from high school and be involved with Deaf communities. I would rather be in the Deaf world than being in the Hearing world. :D

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you for all the welcomes, it kind of scary from my end. Wondering if I could be accepted as a alldeaf.com friend since I am hearing.

Live close by

Hi Terra. I was happy to see your post. I live in Rocklin not that far from you. My daughters attend UC Davis. I became totally deaf overnight due to illness. Its only been six months, I'm just starting to try to learn ASL on books and DVD. I wish you all the luck in your schooling. I don't thnk I'll be of much help since I'm so new to this. But, I wanted to welcome you especially as a local. :angel:

Hi Terra!
I’m going to school in Modesto CA, not super far from Sacramento. I’m just finishing my first ASL class. Congrats on going to school for your interpreter certificate! That’s really awesome. =)
Good luck in all your classes!

Back