Hearing Aids

fishycracker

Reaction score
I am hard of hearing and have been since I was 7 (surgery caused 60% hearing loss in my left ear). We've never gotten me a hearing aid because of the ridiculous price and insurance not covering it. Recently my hearing has become more of an issue especially at my job (Chuck E Cheese) with lots of loud music and talking, it's hard to hear people. I think I might have lost more of my hearing but I need to get it checked. I really want to get a hearing aid but can't afford the high price. Is there any programs or aid to help people pay? I'm in college and live in WA state if that makes a difference. Also, my mom isn't sure if hearing aids would help with my kind of hearing loss. Do hearing aids help with nerve damage?

I am hard of hearing and have been since I was 7 (surgery caused 60% hearing loss in my left ear). We've never gotten me a hearing aid because of the ridiculous price and insurance not covering it. Recently my hearing has become more of an issue especially at my job (Chuck E Cheese) with lots of loud music and talking, it's hard to hear people. I think I might have lost more of my hearing but I need to get it checked. I really want to get a hearing aid but can't afford the high price. Is there any programs or aid to help people pay? I'm in college and live in WA state if that makes a difference. Also, my mom isn't sure if hearing aids would help with my kind of hearing loss. Do hearing aids help with nerve damage?

Look up vocational rehab for your area, they are supposed to help with hearing aids so that you can keep a job. Good luck!

Yes, hearing aids help with nerve deafness.

I have nerve damage and wore hearing aids all my life yes they will help. Like Annie said vocational rehabilitation under the sate dept of labor will help you. That's how I got my last pair. It's a slow process but they will cover 100% of it. It took me about 6 months to get mine. Another option is Care Credit. It works like a credit card. You go to their website and enter an amount you need. You will then be approved and make payments like you do a credit card. Most audiologist and medical places accept this. Vets even accept this

Thank you all so much! I'm glad hearing aids can help me. I really don't want to get a CI but I will if needed. I'm not against them so long as parents teach their deaf children asl and don't keep them from the deaf community. Just the idea of a major surgery as if I haven't has enough in my lifetime, especially on my ear makes me want to throw up. I hate surgery and am tired of having my ear cut open every few years. (I have lots of health issues and a genetic disorder that has caused a very annoying issue with my left ear because my stupid disorder decided on that as my problem area). Haha. I'll have to look into the resources mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AllDeaf App mobile app

You are only eligible for CI if you have profound a hearing loss if you have been doing this good without a hearing aid I'm sure you don't need CI. You seem young and maybe you and your family need more information about deafness and hearing aids. Make and appointment with an audiologist. Most are alot more approachable than other doctors. And stay on here and ask anything. You will get a variety of answers from people with different experience and age.

Back