Hearing aids

MushyCookies

Reaction score
Hello :D

I have been wanting to get 2 hearing aids for a while now. It have been almost 13 years since I last had one. So, I am not sure how the process of getting one work and where to find it. I am from Salem, Oregon . I need some suggestions. =( I need them for my line of work, I would like to be more alert and aware of my surrounding .. Any ideas ?

Have you talk to VR about your HA and let them to check your income resource to see if you may be eligible of getting new hearing aids or not. I know our state do provde one. i do not know about your orgeon, so check it out.

My VR counselor is not exactly being professional right now. I am trying to get a different worker so I can get my things together. When I do, I will be sure to ask about it. Thanks Frisky!

My VR counselor is not exactly being professional right now. I am trying to get a different worker so I can get my things together. When I do, I will be sure to ask about it. Thanks Frisky!

Can you at least talk to the manager to see if you can switch to VR if you were not cooperating well with your VR. Just find out if you are eligible for HA from VR then GRAB your opportunity!!!

Hii! I live in Canada so it might be different, but here you can just get in contact with different hearing centres and get a hearing test set up. Then after that they go over different options with you. It sucks though because they are so expensive! :(

Starkey Hearing Foundation, if your income is very low.

Hello :D

I have been wanting to get 2 hearing aids for a while now. It have been almost 13 years since I last had one. So, I am not sure how the process of getting one work and where to find it. I am from Salem, Oregon . I need some suggestions. =( I need them for my line of work, I would like to be more alert and aware of my surrounding .. Any ideas ?

First, you need to see a real audiologist (not the Miracle-Ear salesperson), get an official hearing test, and the test will determine how powerful of an aid you need.

Once you have that info, you can go to either a hearing aid supplier, your audiologist, or online for hearing aids (although I would not suggest doing that).

Just remember that everyone is charging outrageous prices for HA's these days, so be prepared for sticker shock.

And, don't feel bad, just about every other VR counselor I've met was unprofessional.

You need to get your ears checked out by a doctor then have an ear test at a hospital. Audiologist have products that the push and you want someone impartial when getting the hearing test. That is not to say all audiologist are bad, but they have a duty to their vendors. After that, you want to find a local audiologist, you may have to take another test, and have him suggest an aid for you. Not all aids and brands work the same for all types of hearing. In addition, it takes about a month or so to get used to the aids.

I use a Phonak A+ for my profound hearing loss. I also use an FM system to listen to music and at meetings. Depending on your loss an FM system and be really cool as it can help you listen to TV. I'm thinking about moving up to a Phonak Nadia, but have not made the move yet (if the aid is working well, you get attached to it).

If you haven't had an aid for a very long time, like yourself, it may be difficult to make out words and you might have to work on it to get full use of an aid.

I know, at some point, I'll lose the rest of my hearing, but for now hearing aids are the greatest gift.

VacationGuy234

Just so you know - in Canada and most of the USA hospitals don't actually do complete hearing tests - they refer you to an audiologist. In some cases their many be an independent Audiologist who happens to rent/lease office space in the hospital, but they are usually not formally connected to the hospital.

Also I've never had an Audie push HAs - in Canada at least, they're legally restricted from doing so. In fact they told my mum (who was having hearing issues) that while she does have high freq loss at this point the HAs wouldn't help/be more of a hindrance than an advantage.

Really it's about finding a good Audie more than anything ... Like shopping for a new car or house, finding the right Audie takes time and trial and error.

I do know that it's different in the UK , and the USA may vary a bit from state to state.

Last edited:
Hope you can get things worked out with the VR. They may be able to help pay for your hearing aids, since you need them for work. See if they have an audiologist they prefer to work with, or if you can go to any audie in your area to get the hearing aids.

Both times I went through the VR in NH and in SC they sent to an audi they use. When I realized that the new problems I was having with my hearing were def not because of my aid but because of further hearing loss they sent me to an ENT and I ended up going through the audi that worked in his office. The VR actually wouldn't help this time around, and I really wish I had stuck with the audi I had been seeing. For one thing, it's a hell of a lot closer, and I think this other audi smokes crack, is stupid, or is getting bigger commissions for selling Ambras. That was what he ordered for me, luckily I found this forum and another one, did some research and found out......wtf is he getting me Ambras for, my loss is too bad for them. I gave them back and told him I wanted Naida's......much better!!!

So vacationguy....I soooo need a vacation......but he has a very good point about you having a hard time if you haven't worn any in 13 years. And if you have any questions about the aids they end up recommending you, we might be able to answer questions or direct you to where you might find more answers. I found hearingaidforums helpful as well. There are quite a few audiologists on there.

Hey guys, I already took the hearing test not too long ago. So I am done with that. It have been the same. I was born deaf so it does not get worse for me. I appreciate all the suggestions!!

Back