Hearing Aids & Wind Noise

Genman

Reaction score
How does everyone deal with wind noise?

I wear two ITC Digital Hearing Aids. Simply walking in a winy environment is difficult. The noise is very annoying.

Here in the Northeast, winter is upon us and I am trying a ski hat that covers my ears. It helps but I'm curious if any other hearing aid user’s deal with this problem differently.

Genman

Winds

I hear the winds alot with my hearing aids too. I get annoyed when it happens especially when I wanted the windows in the car open and listen to music at the same time. The wind would overpower the sounds of the music. Sometimes I try to adjust my hearing aid by lowering the volume and turn up the volume on the radio. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

When the winds just bother me, I just turn off my hearing aid until I am out of the wind. Most of the time, I like the sound of the wind but sometimes it can get annoying especially when I try to hear something else.

it's just like when someone is blowing at a microphone which is what the wind is doing at your hearing aid.

That's one of the CONs for hearing aids. The microphone is very sensitive to surrounding sounds. :roll: It takes time to get used to. I'm used to it. ;)

Hearing aids are fake, therefore it causes annoyance and strange sounds at certain times. Sometimes my hearing aids would automatically turn off for no reason and i would have to cover my embarassment of taking them out, to clean out the tubes in front of the class at school. I do hear the wind sounds, they are annoying indeed. However, When you are around multiple deaf people, I believe that the hearing aids are unnescessary because you dont need to hear things while you are allowed to commuincate with deaf people with sign langauge. I went to EYF at NTID and i did not wear my hearing aids for the whole week, and everything went fine and it was peaceful :) I only use my hearing aids when i am around hearing people or at school... or at classes for my future college class, I just wouldnt use them when im walking outside in the wind or hanging out with deaf friends at parties.

Back