Hearing aids suggested...

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
Hey all,
My doctor and audiologist are urging me to consider hearing aids as they may benefit me at work, school, out in group settings, etc. They have been pressing the issue for some time, but I have been holding off (mostly embarrassment, I hate to admit). It is a big adjustment. Sometimes I think the audi is pushing because they are such expensive pieces of equipment. lol Anyway...
It was suggested I look at some "BTE" models for mild-moderate loss. I have a funky audiogram I think. A 35db loss at 250/500 and then it slopes down to 60 at 2000 and back up to 35 at 4000 (I hope this means something to somebody!) I have a lot of trouble with speech discrimination, being in busy places trying to have conversations, etc.
The audi suggested I consider a "body worn aid" to use in certain situations where it might be helpful, but do people really use those anymore?? I thought they were for really profound losses and were a thing of the past. I use the phone at work and have a hard time - I was under the impression that a body worn aid is not practical for phone use.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, body worn aids are normally just seen with profound losses.
I get you on the being self conscious about the aids. But you know.......the advertising out there makes it sound like the btes are as obvious as an earhorn.
Hey..........think of them as glasses. You wouldn't be self conscious about wearing glasses. And yes.....I know they are perceived as an old lady thing. But I mean, if you got them in cool colors, they wouldn't look like an old lady thing!

I cannot agree that BTEs are "obvious" unless your hair is only an inch long or even shorter.

For example, a couple of weeks ago on a public transit train I spotted a lady with an tiny edge of BTE showing from beneath her hair. Being a HA user myself and sitting quite close to her, I could hardly make out what kind of device she was wearing - a HA or a CI, since no earmould could be seen... eventually, a ray of sun shone on an extremely clear earmould - it was a hearing aid, but barely visible.

On the other hand, ITE or ITC hearing aids could also be suitable for your hearing loss, but might feel more comfortable, since they do not fall off your ears when you move. However, they tend to be more expensive than BTEs.

Anyway, I'd rather look for a hearing aid that provides better benefit for speech discrimination, while appearances are of lesser importance. Good luck in your pursuit of improved hearing!

Assynt, it's not that they aren't obvious.....its just that the propaganda makes it sound like they are the size of a satillite downlink.
I wouldn't go with baby aids. Most of the time, they are just paens to vanity, and don't provide enough power for more then a mild loss.

Oh and Ophelia............once you get HAs, it's possible that you could dump the FM device!

Nearly forgot................I see that you're in Buffallo. I would go to St. Mary's School for the Deaf for an audilogical evaluation. Schools for the Deaf tend to be WAY better at fitting young folks....you might even be able to hook up with better services etc.....plus you'd be helping out a school for the deaf!

Thanks so much deafdyke for the advice. :ty:
I am quite familiar with St. Mary's actually. I didn't know they did audiological evaluations though. My ENT just sent me to my university and to another place too (I've been all around).
Yeah, the hope is that I won't need the FM system after that. We'll see. Most of my trouble is really in speech discrimination because of the dip at 2khz I guess.
The office said they never got my email about which FM system to use, so I probably won't have it for tomorrow night, but they said I could use CART tomorrow because I need something . I haven't used it before (this is all pretty new to me) so I'm not sure what to expect. Are you familiar with it?
Thanks so much.

Well you know, you could ask them if they do audilogical evalutions. I would assume they do, since they are a school for the deaf. They don't have anything on their site thou. It would be a good way of helping out a school for the deaf. Also, that way you'd be able to get advice and consultation from an audi who is very experianced with dhh young people. The trouble with going to a general audi is that a lot of times, they push you into old person aids or whatever.

I have an even bigger dip than you at 1000khz. An aid has helped me loads with speech discrimination but background noise can be a problem. My aid can't be seen unless I tie my hair back. I have the sort without earmoulds just a thin tube and a bung. Only one person at work knows I have it.

I was completely against getting hearing aids because I knew it would be embarrassing. But now that i have had them for a few months i have found it is much more embarrassing not being able to hear what people are saying. I wouldnt change a thing, I still am a bit uneasy about it but everyday it gets easier.

Back