Hearing Aids and the phone *dun dun dun*

Breezy

Reaction score
Hey!

Ok so this has been a recurring problem with me. I got my hearing aid reprogrammed 3 weeks ago, and my audi said that i should be able to use the phone, but my problem is, whenever i put it to "T", all i hear is this loud buzz and i can barely hear the voice or the tone on the other end. He said that it shouldn't happen once he re-programmed it, but it has and i was wondering what's up? Because i also have to get a hearing aid for my right ear now...and i'm wondering, "how is this going to work?"

Also, another sidenote question, since i already have a hearing aid, should it take as long to get my other one considering that i've already got one? Or should it be about the same amount of time?

Thanx! Any help would be appreciated!

It sounds like you have a digital hearing aid. I had the same problem. No matter how many times I had it fixed and/or reprogrammed, it would stop working after a month or so. I'm now back to my old fashioned analog hearing aid. :thumb:

your hearing aids and cells...

you know something....I also have digital hearing aides and I don't think they work at all with cell phones. But I did something a little different. I got a sidekick phone and have the data plan with the added wyndtell power package. It works super well, cuz I could never really hear well even with my ha's. Now I have everyone text me or use the relay or email service...all are free! and my bill is always 39.95 a month and it never goes over no matter how many times you text,email or use relay. and regular relay is included too so you can call people on your own. I love it. I cant believe I almost gave up my hearing aides for a stupid cell phone!

I have digital bte's and I can't use a cell phone at all. I find that with cordless phones that I have to move the phone around alot to find the right "place" and even with doing that, I still hear a slight buzzing noise. And boy, talking on the phone and being near a computer or T.V. , or even my ceiling fan makes my ha's buzz like crazy!

I have the digital HA and I can use the phone and cell phone like a normal person. I guess it has to do with how you program your hearing aids and how the audiologist adjusts it to your needs. I have never used the T setting on my hearing aid.

andy

i crackerd the prob with phones by getting the phonak fm receivers for my ha s and the smart link can now use mob phone/ordinary phone and listen to tv with no wprob it aint cheap tho

I have digital BTE's and cannot use cell phones at all. With T-coil I just hear buzzing and without the T-coil the sound is not loud enough.
But for "real" or landline phones the buzzing may be caused by being too close to anything that produces electromagnetic interference like computer screens, TV's, microwaves, flourescent lights and car engines.
Also, some phones do not work well with my t-coils. I never know if the phone I am about to use will work and if I will be able to hear.

i dont know if you have this in USA but in oz we have a cell phone network called cdma and its supposed to be better for use with hearing aids than the gsm network, but i've never tried it though

McGusto: Yes, CDMA and IDEN technology is available here in the U.S.

Many hearing aid users have reported success with the following cell phone brands: Motorola, Nokia, LG and Sony Ericsson.

Cell phone providers who have CDMA and IDEN technology include Verizon, Sprint, and Nextell.

For more information about digital cell phone and hearing aid compatibility, visit:

http://tap.gallaudet.edu/DigitalCellFAQ.htm

Hope this helps! :)

I have digital hearing aids, and I can hear on the phones, as long as its got a volume control on it. I've also used a cellphone before, and I can kinda hear on it, although i get a buzzing/ringing sound interfering the conversation.

I talked to my audi about digital hearings and cellphones. He said the best thing out on the market is bluetooth.

"ELI is a miniature Bluetooth® device that offers wireless communication between hearing aid wearers and a growing assortment of modern Bluetooth signal sources. ELI connects to any compatible communication device, eliminating the hassle of cable clutter, and offers users the freedom to communicate anytime and anywhere."

http://www.elihearing.com/

I'm thinking about getting one for myself.

Back