hearing aid update...

Don't fear the aids..they are just a tool. You mastered more ASL than I have by a long shot, and lip reading too, it seems. If you can do both of those, an aid is a piece of cake! Plus, if you don't like the sounds you are hearing, you can turn the aids off, but give them a fair shot at helping you. After all, we are talking about your education, something very important. :fingersx:

thank you so much for the encouragement! i feel so much better!
ASL-started learning because it's my major and i always felt that i could communicate better through it with people...so even if i didn't choose Deaf Education as my major i wanted to keep learning it...i did end up choosing it and art education as my majors...i did NOT choose the major though because i'm HOH...the HOH diagnosis came after ironically...anyway i hang out with quite a few Deaf people (i get along better with them than people in the hearing world!) so my skill level has definitely improved that way...
the lip reading was an adaptation that i'm told i learned and have been doing for years to compensate...didn't even realize i was doing it until i was diagnosed HOH...
that's funny just "turning the aids off" if i don't want to hear something...
do you find that people stare at your aids or treat you differently because you have them and it's a "sign" that you're HOH or deaf? i mean my hair is going to cover them for the most part...but i'm worried about what people will think if they see them...i don't want to be treated any differently...

ASL-started learning because it's my major and i always felt that i could communicate better through it with people...so even if i didn't choose Deaf Education as my major i wanted to keep learning it...i did end up choosing it and art education as my majors...i did NOT choose the major though because i'm HOH...the HOH diagnosis came after ironically...anyway i hang out with quite a few Deaf people (i get along better with them than people in the hearing world!) so my skill level has definitely improved that way...
the lip reading was an adaptation that i'm told i learned and have been doing for years to compensate...didn't even realize i was doing it until i was diagnosed HOH...
do you find that people stare at your aids or treat you differently because you have them and it's a "sign" that you're HOH or deaf? i mean my hair is going to cover them for the most part...but i'm worried about what people will think if they see them...i don't want to be treated any differently...

Don't worry to much about what people will think. The people you want to be friends with will think they are very cool. Anyone who does not think so is not your friend. My philosophy. It may be simple, but it works!

I'm glad to see you "found" a new way of hearing things in your class (lipreading the terp). I for one, just completed my college studies after 5 years, in which I found out I needed more help after 2 years of so-so notetaking help. I ended up having 2 oral interpreters assigned to each of my 2-3 classes per semester. It was a blast!

Life has a funny way of preparing us for things we don't know are coming. I have a few friends that have some hearing loss and they too learned lip reading over time, since their hearing loss was also gradual.
I tend to turn my aid off at lunch. I work in a large retail store and there can be 20 or more in our little lunch room at one time. My hearing loss involves a lot of distortion, so it's just gibberish to me with so many people. One click to off and it is so much nicer. :giggle:
As for what people think? Some will change, others will not. The ones that are true friends don't change how they think of you, but they do change how they talk to you (looking you in the eye, speaking clearly,etc.). Some people think I have a fancy bluetooth device, or they just don't pay attention.

the only thing my audie would offer was a type of credit card for the HA's, but then I would have to pay interest on top of the cost. I chose no and waited until I could come up with the money.

adam

i broke down and went down to disability services at my college...getting a notetaker and then later last week i asked for an interpreter also.

I am not sure how you are in sign language, but if that is difficult for you, then you can get realtime captioning instead if you are still struggling to understand an interpreter.

That is another option.

You'll find a way to pay for the hearing aids. I do recommend praying :D.

Back