hearing aid picture

JennyB

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my new hearing aids! Now that I FINALLY have everything!

184857_10150092638683613_502618612_6292853_3640508_n.jpg

I love the colour Jenny, I wish we could get coloured HAs in the UK instead of boring beige. Here they only issue coloured ones to kids!

I love the colour Jenny, I wish we could get coloured HAs in the UK instead of boring beige. Here they only issue coloured ones to kids!

Are you not allowed to ask for colored ones? I am somewhat assuming there is a higher cost for the colored ones (I don't know as I've not had any - only the boring clear ones :lol: ) if you could pay the price difference between the boring beige and the colored, could you get them?

OMG Jenny, they're so pretty!
I might get the Safari 900 but I'll see when I'll pick them up Monday.

JennyB: Well never thought I see the day VampireFreaks colour: Purple in BTE Hearing Aids!
Hope the new aids "assist" you.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony - Metallic :wave:Grey activated Aug/07

Are you not allowed to ask for colored ones? I am somewhat assuming there is a higher cost for the colored ones (I don't know as I've not had any - only the boring clear ones :lol: ) if you could pay the price difference between the boring beige and the colored, could you get them?

It seems to depend on where you live, in some areas the NHS will get adults coloured HAs, but not in my area. They issue everyone with beige and claim it is easier to just replace them when they go wrong rather than having to repair them! They also order HAs in bulk and seem to think that most people prefer beige.

Also at the clinic that I go to they only use Siemens HAs, so if you want to try any others it's just hard luck!

well I used a Siemens hearing aid before when I was a kid and the sound quailty was excellent LOL (my Siemens are analogs)
I also tried another hearing aid brand which was Oticon in January 2005 *I was in 4th grade* and thought these are good!!!

I'm also going for the Oticon Safari hearing aid this year since my Oticon Gaia is 6 years old now and doesn't have a volume control like my Siemens does :)
my Siemens, lemme tell ya, they're a DIY hearing aid where you can change the volume without running to the audi's office to reprogramm :D *that's what I love about them*

JennyB: Well never thought I see the day VampireFreaks colour: Purple in BTE Hearing Aids!
Hope the new aids "assist" you.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony - Metallic :wave:Grey activated Aug/07

Most of the people I know with BTEs have coloured ones - I only know a handful of people with beige (and it's because they're first time HAers, and their Audie didn't tell them what colours where available).

My BTE is a light brown (significantly darker than beige), only because the blue colour I wanted wasn't available at the time I was getting my HA (and the blue they did have, I didn't care for).

I do often use SuperSeals to change the colour of my BTE (&protect it from moisture/rain/sweat etc) - they have a number of different colours (last time I looked, no purple unfortunately)

Most first time HAers don't know that BTEs come in different colours, that they can request whatever colour they want, and that it costs the same for beige as any other colour they make... I actaully got my Audie to request a number of colour samples (and a colour chart that showed all available colours for various HAs they carried) for the display in the waiting area of their office - both so people would see that the HAs came in various colours & as a reminder for the Audies to ASK what colour people wanted their BTEs to be before ordering them :)

My audie's office said they had a huge increase in the amount of people requesting coloured HAs since the colour display was put up !!

As a British person, I can too verify that the NHS don't really give out coloured HA's unless the hearing aid specifically comes in colour. I have a Spirit 3 and it comes in beige/grey. I was amused when they gave me a grey one, it was totally better than the beige one, which I've had all these years. Was nice to have a change. I don't know why the NHS lets Cochlear Implant Patients choose their processor colours but not the hearing aid colours.
:hmm:

UK adults do have colour aids and NHS have loads of them BUT you have to fight hard for it. You have to keep on on on on asking for one until then they will order it from NHS stock to deliver hospital you are at.

Kids are usually given out fairly easily.

Back