hearing aid phone microphone

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I don't wear hearing aids anymore but when I did it had a special setting for when you're on the phone. So when set to phone the only sound that came through the hearing aid was the sound that comes from the microphone. I also remember going to lectures and the speaker talked into a microphone and we'd switch our hearing aids to phone mode and would be able to hear the speaker.

Well, I'm working on a device that if I can get it to work will be helpful to some of us deaf. In order to test it out I need to find out more about these kind of microphone. I need the actual microphone that does this. Not just a device that has one.

Do any of you happen to know what it's called or where I might be able to learn more about it? I basically need to rig a microphone to this device that'll only pick up the sound coming through the phone like the hearing aids do when in phone mode.

Any help would be appreciated and I'll be sure to fill you all in on this device once I get it working. I already have a prototype working that'll just pick up the sound it needs to pick up. But if I can find this information it'll be even better.

Thanks.

Ron Jaxon

It's called telecoil and it has to do with magnets i believe...but i may be wrong

it's not a microphone, it's an induction coil

If your looking for a generic overview of the technology as it applys to a room here is one link (btw I know nothing about this provider, they just had a good description of using induction loops in conference rooms, I do not nessarly approve or disapprove of these guys)
Induction Loops -- Assistive Listening Systems from Oval Window Audio

There are loop systems that can be worn around the next... both require a hearing aid with an induction coil to receive the signal

If your looking to build something from the ground up - A good place to start may be the induction coil patent from the 80s and any patent that references the patent 4489330 - Google Patents

Let me know if this helps

Yes, thank you both very much.

I'd like to find someone to talk about this "device" I'm working on. It's not that it has to be a big secret or anything. It's just that I'd rather try to get at least a working prototype going before I really share the details publicly.

I'll tell you that it has to do with making phone calls on any phone (Including mobile) in conjunction with other deaf phone calling methods such as TTY, VCO, captel, etc...

So if any of you are the kind of person who likes to brain storm ideas then feel free to contact me (Email or PM). I figured most of us here are deaf, HH or at know someone who is so you'd be ideal people to talk to about this. I'm not looking for anyone to do anything for me here. Just discuss the idea and who knows, maybe some of you will have suggestions that'll be helpful.

Ron Jaxon

Back