Hearing Aid Cost

nasif123

Reaction score
I am hard of hearing since my childhood. Now, I am really in need of a hearing aid. My hearing loss is seem to be increasing. What's the usual price of a hearing aid? What are the best hearing aid store? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

lets keep this thread going

I have insurance but it does not cover hearing aids. I recently lost my digital hearing aids that I paid 6,400 dollars for. I actually needed better aids than those. All of the available options I have looked at here in Alaska I am facing markups of over 100%. It is very frustrating. I have found a hearing aid dealership in Manila that sells Phonak. I know they cannot be paying any where near what I face here.

Yes I would find a local Audiologist and explore your options, there are many different kinds and different types. Get a hearing test and talk to them about it. Mine were about $5600 for the pair. Just depends.. Please let us know how it goes.

If your hearing is getting worse, those hearing aids may not be strong enough for you. You really should get to an audiologist for a test to see where your hearing is. If you find that those hearing aids are appropriate for your loss you do NOT have to buy from the Audiologist.

If you find you need stronger hearing aids, there are funding options available, or you could look into donation options (Lions Club etc)

It depends on the kind of hearing aid you buy.

There are ITE and BTE hearind aids (in the ear and behind the ear).

There are analog and digital hearing aids.

There's insurance coverage or not.

There's an analog hearing aid that could cost as low as $300 and a digital hearing aid for as high as $5,000.

It would also depend on your hearing loss. Some hearing aids may not work for those with more hearing loss than others. That's why you should see an audiologist to explore your options and see what can be done.

You don't want to go cheap with hearing aids becaues you'll end up paying tripple in the end. Cheap hearing aids can't take moisture, shock or ear wax like the better brands. Also better hearing aids have more options like remote controls, loud noise protection, phone voice coils....etc.

Try seeking help from your home state-usually the department of human rescources has money set aside for helping people out in this case.

You don't want to go cheap with hearing aids becaues you'll end up paying tripple in the end. Cheap hearing aids can't take moisture, shock or ear wax like the better brands. Also better hearing aids have more options like remote controls, loud noise protection, phone voice coils....etc.

Try seeking help from your home state-usually the department of human rescources has money set aside for helping people out in this case.

Also, cheap hearing aids actually have the potential to further harm your hearing. Try to figure out how much you realistically can afford (including what your insurance covers). Tell that to the audie when you go, so that he/she can start looking in the right price range. They may also know of some places to get additional funding in your area (eg local charities, etc).
*EQL*

the goal is best quality for reasonable cost

After years of destroyed Behind The Ears - I work outdoors in all weather I was able to get digital ones that fill up the ear - the amplifier still was not big enough in them but they did not freeze my ears and were better in the wind and did not croak from moisture as easy and the feed back problem was way less. I could see from battery changes that there was lots of room in those things for a larger amplifier. While I am not an electronics expert it is obvious to me that there is a cost amplifier in them that is more than adequate.

I have wearing my old hearing ( behind the ears) i mean both ears 16 yrs!!!!! I know it will be a time to buy new ones and i found out by audilogy telling me the kind of hearing for deaf only not for hoh or senior ages so that sell for at least 5,000.00!!! what a shock! i barely cant afford them now. my hearing husband of 25 yrs, is been wonderful to me. he knows i need those new ones. i told him to wait because we just bought a new home when we need to live as retirement. i told him that i wear till my old h. aid will die! LOL
why why those tiny things cost fortunes!!??? argh!

I am hard of hearing since my childhood. Now, I am really in need of a hearing aid. My hearing loss is seem to be increasing. What's the usual price of a hearing aid? What are the best hearing aid store? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

My advice --> Don't by hearing aids from a store. Contact a qualified audiologist, who will be the best person to advise you of your options and will provide you with the best solution for your budget.

After spending a lot of time on the net searching

I still have no accurate comparison between costs for the same HA's in different countries. Funny how that works on the internet. There are a tiny few articles written of complaint but somehow out of all the hoh people out there buying and using there is such a microscopic amount of actual useful comparison out there, whether it be quality or price that comes from us. I can understand this in a world without internet but that is not the case now.
Also too I cannot help but wonder if many or even all the components are off the shelf items now. And what about software to keep up with our own fine tuning adjustments?
There is also a wide variety of repair options that over the years have come to light in my own experience. I had one BTE that could go through the washing machine and end up working better after being dried out. No lie! I sent it off for rebuild and it came back electronically water resistant. That was the only one out of many though.

The high tech hearing aids are leading the technology for about 3 to 5 years.

So, if you don't mind 3 to 5 years techology in behind, you may consider to buy a product like AH for USD1,000/each while the top model may cost USD4,000/each today.

Honestly, I won't spend USD4,000 x 2 to buy the top model since it will turn to
USD1,000 x 2 in the next 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:
I still have no accurate comparison between costs for the same HA's in different countries. Funny how that works on the internet. There are a tiny few articles written of complaint but somehow out of all the hoh people out there buying and using there is such a microscopic amount of actual useful comparison out there, whether it be quality or price that comes from us. I can understand this in a world without internet but that is not the case now.
I can give you my quote for my Naidas if you want... maybe you could start a database somewhere?
Also too I cannot help but wonder if many or even all the components are off the shelf items now. And what about software to keep up with our own fine tuning adjustments?
I wish I could get the software to do my own adjustments.. no more waiting for an appnt!
thanks,
*EQL*

The high tech hearing aids are leading the technology for about 3 to 5 years.

So, if you don't mind 3 to 5 years techology in behind, you may consider to buy a product like AH for USD1,000/each while the top model may cost USD4,000/each today.

Honestly, I won't spend USD4,000 x 2 to buy the top model since it will turn to
USD1,000 x 2 in the next 3 to 5 years.

When I bought my last ones here in Alaska they were good hearing aids but not the best and were probably in that happier cost zone somewhere else in the world. This is where the genuine cost comparison comes in. Right now they are a medical device being sold like new cars on the car lot by dealerships. The true value is a hidden thing. I myself do not mind them making some profit. But. I am not seeing anything like the last years model
cost cut. And what about 3 years back? Nothing like that either.

as helpful

as helpful as a good audiologist or dealer can be I am with *EQL* on the fine tuning soft ware. The whole time restriction and confinement to that office where it happens.. that is not and cannot be real world conditions.

and another thing

If these dealers that are going for whatever the market will bear would back off a little they would find people buying hearing aid sets for different occasions and conditions. More people would be buying as well. The whole business would expand rapidly and there would be a whole helluva lot more customer satisfaction out there. Of course I am out here in the hinterlands and far from any kind of cutting edge as to what is going on.

Back