hearing aid and yawning

SkullChick

Reaction score
I always wondered something.
All my life when I yawn the hearing aid will go completely silent until I'm finished yawning. Do anyone get that too? It doesn't feedback or anything just go silent. But when I smile or laugh it will feedback. That was when I had moderate loss with analog hearing aid (no feedback cancellation program in it) but with oticon sumo with it having feedback cancellation I can laugh and smile all I want and it won't feedback its awesome but I haven't tried yawning to see if it'll do same thing when I had it for trial during ci evaluation back then.

I'm getting hearing aid for my other ear on 17th of this month I want to try it again since my surgeon said no about implanting my other ear. Since my ci's louder than hearing aid maybe it'll equalize the sound input so it will be fine this time around so I'm gonna try it again. (Same brand, Oticon Sumo DM) so I'll find out when I got it to see if it'll do that too lol.

the only time yawning bothers me is if im at work at the club with all the music and my left makes a crackling sort of noise..other than that i dont get feedback or any other noises or such out of my ha's lol

I read your blog about how your audi said that you haven't made enough progress..but if your scores are in the 80's and your getting alot of the words and stuff right post activation then why would he totally knock down a 2nd CI? I think you should get another opinion Amy.

Yes my HAs go silent when I yawn, I've always thought it was strange but kinda cool at the same time :D

Don't have Digital (i was told i am too deaf for one!!) I have analouge Unitrion It ALWAYS feeds back just by turning it tiny fraction up *sighs*. My CI overpowers it but i still wear both... When i yawn, laugh, smile it just feedsback and i can hear it with my CI!!

Perhaps, it's the muscles from the yawning that "turn off" the hearing. ;)

Hearing Loss Help » Yawning, Loud Noise and Hearing Loss

There are actually two different things happening here. Some hearing aids cut off in response to loud sounds in order to protect your ears from these sounds. This is called “peak clipping” and is old technology. This is not good as it means that you may not hear the very sounds (e.g. fire alarms) that are meant to save your life!

You need to get your audiologist to reprogram your hearing aids so they don’t clip loud sounds, but instead, automatically turn down the volume to a comfortable level. My hearing aids never cut out in response to loud sounds–they just quickly turn the volume down in a small fraction of a second. This is the proper way for hearing aids to handle loud sounds.

Now, in regards to yawning, this is not your hearing aids fault! What happens is that when you yawn, your middle ears automatically cut down the sound level. This is very noticeable when you have a more severe hearing loss–so much so that you think your hearing aids cut out all sound. It wasn’t your hearing aids, it was the acoustic reflex in your middle ears kicking in and reducing the volume! So don’t blame your hearing aids for this one.

Back