Hearing Aid And Sign From Birth?

I stayed back in first grade and didn't past the second time around . I had the same teacher both time , she trying show me the correct way to ties my shoes and kept telling me to watch what she was doing but I kept looking at her face instead . My teacher kept me after school and gave me a hearing test and found I was hoh , I was 3 yo when I got my first hearing aid . It was a body style one and I was send to second grade the next year and I never passed first grade.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

You were 3 years old when you got your first hearing aid.
How can you be 3 years old in first grade the second time around when the teacher discovered that you were HOH (since you did not appear to have had a hearing aid at that time)? Most if not all school systems- the age that normally starts in Kindergarten is around 4-5 or 5-6 years old. So first grade is around 6-7 years old. By the time you finished 1st grade the 2nd time-- or rather 'failed' and moved to 2nd grade, you were already past 7 or even 8.

Either you typo'ed your age as 3 when it should have been 8 or there's something really fishy fishy with your story.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

You were 3 years old when you got your first hearing aid.
How can you be 3 years old in first grade the second time around when the teacher discovered that you were HOH (since you did not appear to have had a hearing aid at that time)? Most if not all school systems- the age that normally starts in Kindergarten is around 4-5 or 5-6 years old. So first grade is around 6-7 years old. By the time you finished 1st grade the 2nd time-- or rather 'failed' and moved to 2nd grade, you were already past 7 or even 8.

Either you typo'ed your age as 3 when it should have been 8 or there's something really fishy fishy with your story.

My best guess they meant 'my first year in school' instead of 'first grade' or a poor translation from another language meaning the same. Here, although school is compulsory from age 5, almost every child starts at 4 (the intake is age 4 and if you don't start then, the school doesn't have to offer you a place so you'll be put wherever there is one instead of your choices). But the vast majority of children actually do the government funded 15 hours a week from 3+ in nursery.

Here's we have:
Day Nursery (0-5)
Nursery (3-4)
Reception (4-5)
Year 1 (5-6)

I wish we had day nursery when I was growing up b/c when your birthday in Dec. you couldn't go to kindergarten until you were 5 yo . It would have been more fun going to day nursery than staying home all day.

My parents had no idea I was born deaf due to ototoxic drug. It was a doctor's mistake. Some think my parents should have sued my mother's ob/gyn doctor, but they opt not to. When I was a toddler, I was playing with my father's radio and turned it up all the way. It hurt my mother's ears and she rushed to turn it off. That was when my mother discovered I was deaf. I wore giant hearing aids across my chest. I didn't learn to sign until I was in the 3rd grade. It made a huge difference for me to carry conversation with my 3rd grade teacher for the first time.

My best guess they meant 'my first year in school' instead of 'first grade' or a poor translation from another language meaning the same. Here, although school is compulsory from age 5, almost every child starts at 4 (the intake is age 4 and if you don't start then, the school doesn't have to offer you a place so you'll be put wherever there is one instead of your choices). But the vast majority of children actually do the government funded 15 hours a week from 3+ in nursery.

Here's we have:
Day Nursery (0-5)
Nursery (3-4)
Reception (4-5)
Year 1 (5-6)

Maybe but it isn't a poor translation in language- she is American and writes English so I don't know what her thinking process is. It's actually worse than her usual writing to be honest. And... as she noted in her later posting... there wasn't any kind of 'preschool' when she was growing up (in the 1950s)- first year of school was Kindergarten at the age of 5-6.

Where are you from- that's an interesting set up- sounds like Canada or UK. Here in the US Day Nursery, Nursery and Reception would all be consolidated into what we call Pre-K or Pre-School these days. As a tot I did go through several "hearing impaired" (Oral I think...) programs before the age of 5. I actually went to Kindergarten twice- 1st time half day was K the other half was the self contained DHH classroom (5 or 6 of us if i remember.. along with Smokey the lamb) then went to Kindergarten at local elementary school- only because my birthday after the cutoff date so ended up in K- and older than most of my classmates.

To answer the OP: I would do both someday if I have kids.

Signing is absolutely essential. Research has very clearly demonstrated that deaf kids who use ASL or have a Deaf identity score higher on self esteem tests than deaf kids who do not use ASL or do not have a Deaf identity.

But I would be remiss not to give my future kid everything. So I'd give them everything else too.

Maybe but it isn't a poor translation in language- she is American and writes English so I don't know what her thinking process is. It's actually worse than her usual writing to be honest. And... as she noted in her later posting... there wasn't any kind of 'preschool' when she was growing up (in the 1950s)- first year of school was Kindergarten at the age of 5-6.

Where are you from- that's an interesting set up- sounds like Canada or UK. Here in the US Day Nursery, Nursery and Reception would all be consolidated into what we call Pre-K or Pre-School these days. As a tot I did go through several "hearing impaired" (Oral I think...) programs before the age of 5. I actually went to Kindergarten twice- 1st time half day was K the other half was the self contained DHH classroom (5 or 6 of us if i remember.. along with Smokey the lamb) then went to Kindergarten at local elementary school- only because my birthday after the cutoff date so ended up in K- and older than most of my classmates.

Hm, I don't know them.
I'm in England (Scotland do their own thing regarding school). Day Nursery is essentially paid for childcare, whereas the others are all free. (Although they are bringing out some paid hours for two year olds in low income families, I believe.) Some families of nursery age children do a mixture of free Nursery and Day Nursery here as Nursery is either mornings or afternoons.

I think academically, our Reception is on par with Kindergarten? You would expect children to be reading and writing basic sentences at the end of Reception and adding, adding and subtracting simple sums, counting in 5s, 10s and 20s, etc. Lower ability children might be struggling more though - we had some in our class still learning CVC (e.g., dog, pot, etc)words, but then... our school is in a deprived area and children come with lower attainment levels. (SEN children not included in that of course, the two kids I work with are not at CVC level.)

Back