Hearing Aid Accessories..

morphocoelestis

Reaction score
So, I have recently moved to an area that gets much much much more precipitation (in every form) than I am used to (and the rain, snow, etc often starts unexpectedly). I am a little concerned about my HAs getting messed up (I know, I am so paranoid-- because I simply can not afford to replace them!). I was thinking about SuperSeals, but I am worried they will cover the smaller, directional microphone (GNResound Canta 7s). (This is an especially big problem because I know my hearing has gotten much worse so I need my settings changed, but my audiologist is no longer practicing and my insurance does not cover anything hearing related so I definitely can not afford to go) Any experience or other suggestions? (Any favorite place/websites for buying hearing aid accessories?)

Also, any experience with telecoil 'head phones' (the hooks or silhousettes you put next to your hearing aids)-- do they work 'OK'?

So, I have recently moved to an area that gets much much much more precipitation (in every form) than I am used to (and the rain, snow, etc often starts unexpectedly). I am a little concerned about my HAs getting messed up (I know, I am so paranoid-- because I simply can not afford to replace them!). I was thinking about SuperSeals, but I am worried they will cover the smaller, directional microphone (GNResound Canta 7s). (This is an especially big problem because I know my hearing has gotten much worse so I need my settings changed, but my audiologist is no longer practicing and my insurance does not cover anything hearing related so I definitely can not afford to go) Any experience or other suggestions? (Any favorite place/websites for buying hearing aid accessories?)

Also, any experience with telecoil 'head phones' (the hooks or silhousettes you put next to your hearing aids)-- do they work 'OK'?

I use SuperSeals on my Phonak Maxx... and haven't had any issues ... I actually just use them as "decoration" (like a fresh coat of paint lol) - I make little holes to reveal my OTM switch, and my volume wheel. I just make sure when I put the SS on it's not covering the mic ... you could quite easily make a little cut to reveal more mic if needed ...

can you take a pic of your BTE so we can see the mic configuration ... then I could help more with saying "yeah" or "no" ?

I bet if you were to email them they might even consider sending you a sample SS to try !

Hey,
I have Rexton dual silhouettes telecoil headphones. They work wonderfully. The only thing that's a pain is the fact they are slightly bigger than my hearing aid, and the area that transmit information is lower than the receiver (hearing aid), so I had to adjust the silhouettes around to make it work. For my CI, it works great (although the buzzing noise is there). I like this MUCH better than neck loops.

You may have a hard time finding them for cheap...or finding dual ones.

Also, If you get over the ear headphones, the large chunky ones that goes over your entire ear, that would work just as well.

Sorry this may be off topic, but does anyone know of any good HA batteries 675 ones? I have tried out a number of brands, and I realized that each of these brands produce a different sound quality. I have been using a pack of 60 from Unitron, given to me complimentary, but now I need to stock up more and was wondering if anyone can suggest good ones. Powerone, Rayovac, Energizer ??

I buy Rayovac batteries, and am happy with them. But then, I don't really notice any difference in sound qualities with different batteries.

As for the hooks or silhousettes you put next to your hearing aids, I bought the Hatis Epic single earhook device for myself... and I think it works GREAT! Expensive, but it works. You can get the Hatis epic earhook, and there's another one from a different company, at Harris Communications online. I've been using Hatis to listen to music on my iPod, I even like it better than using the FM system setup that I normally use for music listening (FM transmitter is broken yet again, hence the buying the Hatis).

I use SuperSeals on my Phonak Maxx... and haven't had any issues ... I actually just use them as "decoration" (like a fresh coat of paint lol) - I make little holes to reveal my OTM switch, and my volume wheel. I just make sure when I put the SS on it's not covering the mic ... you could quite easily make a little cut to reveal more mic if needed ...

can you take a pic of your BTE so we can see the mic configuration ... then I could help more with saying "yeah" or "no" ?

I bet if you were to email them they might even consider sending you a sample SS to try !

Do you find that the tool they give in the starter kit to get them on is necessary? (It seems like it might be, but it seems like you could save a lot of money by going with the refills rather than the starter kit.)

Quick questions. I am a very avid hearing aid wearer. so I am wondering if you have the Super seal on you hearing aids. How will that effect them having to repair you hearing aid if it is sealed? would they have to put a whole new casing on it or what?

I would love to find out more about this due to I live in Florida and I do need sealing on my HA.

I have had my hearing aids rebuilt several times due to the Humidity in Florida.

When i was in florida i bought a tube blower so i could suck the moisture out of the tubes on my bte. But when i was there..maybe it wasn't hot enuf or humid cuz i didn't get moisture in my tubes?..i was surprised!

Quick questions. I am a very avid hearing aid wearer. so I am wondering if you have the Super seal on you hearing aids. How will that effect them having to repair you hearing aid if it is sealed? would they have to put a whole new casing on it or what?

I would love to find out more about this due to I live in Florida and I do need sealing on my HA.

I have had my hearing aids rebuilt several times due to the Humidity in Florida.

The SuperSeals are temporary , replaceable latex covers - they help keep humidity and moisture away from the HA. They won't change anything about how they are repaired etc ... they're simply rolled on and rolled off (for lack of a better way to explain it .. .they're like very tight "hearing aid condoms")

yeah my friend, who is deaf and was an interpreter for deaf students in the school system for many years... she calls them hearing aid condoms too, which I think is funny.

I've never used them. But then again, it's so dry here in Wyoming we don't need to worry about the moisture in the hearing aids.

Do you find that the tool they give in the starter kit to get them on is necessary? (It seems like it might be, but it seems like you could save a lot of money by going with the refills rather than the starter kit.)

Umm ... I got the tool - it can be helpful, I'd recommend getting it and then deciding for your self (not very helpful of an answer is it ) ... I think alot has to do with the shape and size of your BTE - because they expand to fit a number of different sizes. One tip - if you're unsure of what size, email them and ask them to (within the pack) replace one of the size you've chosen with the size up or down just so you can compare.

regarding batteries - I like the energizers and the Rayovac batteries. I (and my audiologist, and about anyone 'trained' I've ever talked with) strongly recomment STAYING AWAY from Duracell brand. Many many people have had issues with them being "cutting out","tcoil issues". An audiologist told me that an article she's read said that it was due to the placement of the tiny air holes in the battery - that they don't make proper contact with some brands and models. I personally had no end of grief anytime I flipped from T to M ... I was sure my HA was broken ... then I switched battery brands and I've had no problem since (it starts happening again if I use Duracells again though)

On a separate, yet related tangent ... what do people think of the dry and store system ?? I have a single BTE and it's not really humid here ...but I want to take care of my BTE ... ideas experiences etc ???

sorry that was sooooo long a post !!

The SuperSeals are temporary , replaceable latex covers - they help keep humidity and moisture away from the HA. They won't change anything about how they are repaired etc ... they're simply rolled on and rolled off (for lack of a better way to explain it .. .they're like very tight "hearing aid condoms")

ahhh like sleeves!! Uh OK. :)

I though it was like acrylic or something.

most of my moisture gets in the tubes. so the "sleeves" would not work well for me. Maybe help from the rain or something but I doubt it will help with the humidity.

ahhh like sleeves!! Uh OK. :)

I though it was like acrylic or something.

most of my moisture gets in the tubes. so the "sleeves" would not work well for me. Maybe help from the rain or something but I doubt it will help with the humidity.

I have the same issue with "wet tubes" - simply tell your Audie your having humidity issues, and request "dry tubing" - they're specially designed to help with humidity issues (they are visually identical - however they're a little thicker walled, so a bit stiffer to install)

I have the same issue with "wet tubes" - simply tell your Audie your having humidity issues, and request "dry tubing" - they're specially designed to help with humidity issues (they are visually identical - however they're a little thicker walled, so a bit stiffer to install)

Thanks will do! :ty:

speaking of which ... I need to find my tubing .. it's VERY time for a tubie change ( I change the tubing on my BTE myself)

When i was in florida i bought a tube blower so i could suck the moisture out of the tubes on my bte. But when i was there..maybe it wasn't hot enuf or humid cuz i didn't get moisture in my tubes?..i was surprised!

Oh, well the fact that you are using it to "suck out the moisture" might be the problem. I thought you were supposed to use it to blow the air out rather than suck-- and that has always worked for me. If that doesn't work, then.. I dunno.. (that is weird, I had never really considered it before.

Well that's wat i assumer..i never used it but someone told me it was to suck out moisture and not blow?...i thought it was to blow tho...but ya

Back