Hearing Adult Foster HOH Children.

LearningASL88

Reaction score
Hello! My husband and I are foster parents and in our state there is a great need for foster parents that know ASL so they can take in HOH or Deaf children. As of now, I don't know of any FP in our state that knows ASL or even signed english. I know a bit, but I would love to develope my skills so if we ever got a child that was HOH or Deaf I would be able to care for them properly.
Thank You!

Hello! My husband and I are foster parents and in our state there is a great need for foster parents that know ASL so they can take in HOH or Deaf children. As of now, I don't know of any FP in our state that knows ASL or even signed english. I know a bit, but I would love to develope my skills so if we ever got a child that was HOH or Deaf I would be able to care for them properly.
Thank You!

Do you have access to classes?

Thank You!

also, if you can tell me anything to be aware of or that i may need to do different ahead of time (other than the obvious. lol), I would really appreciate it!

I do, but they are farther away and with my other FC it is really hard to make it 30 min away every day for classes... :/

It would be pretty hard just with Skype to develop your ASL to the level needed for Deaf FC.

You really need a real person and 3D modeling.

It would be pretty hard just with Skype to develop your ASL to the level needed for Deaf FC.

You really need a real person and 3D modeling.

I was kind of afraid of that. lol

There is only one University around here that offers a degree in ASL. I thought that was pretty odd in and of itself...

I mean, I suppose anything is better than them being in a home that doesn't know any type of signing. Maybe I just need to find a skype friend and do what I can :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. You can learn a lot about ASL when we are discussing and why we need ASL including the importance of it. Just try to find ways to get into the ASL classes. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. You can learn a lot about ASL when we are discussing and why we need ASL including the importance of it. Just try to find ways to get into the ASL classes. See you around here. :wave:

:ty: ! I'm trying!

'ello and welcome to AllDeaf.

I have classmates that are pretty persistent and drive over an hour to college, I don't think 30 minutes isn't too bad. I don't want to sound harsh, but if it's important enough (which I believe it is), making the effort to learn means a lot to the deaf/HoH child. If you still feel like traveling that far for class is a burden, then maybe seek someone who may be willing to meet half way to help you learn. There is always a way around the communication barrier.
Just my point of view.

'ello and welcome to AllDeaf.

I have classmates that are pretty persistent and drive over an hour to college, I don't think 30 minutes isn't too bad. I don't want to sound harsh, but if it's important enough (which I believe it is), making the effort to learn means a lot to the deaf/HoH child. If you still feel like traveling that far for class is a burden, then maybe seek someone who may be willing to meet half way to help you learn. There is always a way around the communication barrier.
Just my point of view.

I completely agree that it is worth it. The only problem is that I have two older children also that I have to think about. With children is state custody they are VERY picky about who you can leave them with and even the times that you can leave them there. Currenty the only people I can leave them with work from 8-4:00 monday-friday. I'm already trying to think of a way to make it work though :hmm:
Thank you for your POV! :)

LearningASL88 I'm also a foster parent of two boys. I would love it if I got a deaf child because I love asl but I still teach my hearing children. I would love to chat with you on skype and work on our sign together. Skype name: krista.huntley

Welcome!! I know all abt living with foster kids!!

Try to find someone in your area who is deaf. Also try to join a Deaf Coffee Chat which for me happens in the evenings between 7-12am at my local starbucks. Its the best way to learn is to immerse yourself in the language just like how if you go to japan you start to pick up the language.

Back