Hearign Aid Advice

ThomasL

Reaction score
God...finally some advice for deaf people from deaf people. Wow!

I recently lost my Oticon Epoq which means I now have to purchase another hearing aid. I'm not happy with Oticon (long story) as I've had a lot of problems with the wireless Oticon and it making noises. Plus, it didn't seem to have noise canceling programs and the wind noise was really bad. I'm a sailor so that is a big deal.

I only hear in one ear with an aid. So I recently purchased a Unitron Passport ITE and I am in the 30 day trial period. This aid seems like cheap stuff. I just sent an email to the audiologist that I am sending it back. I had originally asked them to order a Naida aid because it is water resistant and they talked me into the Unitron. I shouldn't have listened. I think they must make th emost money on that brand of aid.

I'm looking for the best digital hearing aid. One that cancels back ground noise like machinery, and which will cancel the sound of wind whistling in my ears. It also has to be water resistant as I go to sweat lodge ceremonies and wear it there and also wear it in the rain sometimes. I bought the Unitron because the provider office told me that this aid was from one of the only companies that really offers any kind of protection from water.

I want wireless tech but at this point, after Oticon and now this Unitron which works like crap, I'm about at the point of just getting a good digital aid w/o wireless.

Any of you that have gone through all of this, or like this, I would be sooo grateful for your advice. You have no idea how I have been ripped off. A Nu-Ear dealer in Sante Fe, NM burned me hard core. Then Oticon screwed me good. I almost filed suit against Oticon but really, just don't want to mess with that.

Now this Unitron. What crap. Any suggestions?

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. I'm going to the hearing aid office today and will probably order Naida's. Can you guys tell me what your's cost? I paid 2800 for the Uniton and that was without paying for the device that transmits the TV audio, or the loop you wear around your neck. That was loaned to me until I see if I want it.

One other question. Do you use wireless? I had a problem with Untion, which I understand uses the same wireless transmitters and loop as the Unitron. When I listened to the TV, the sound was okay. When I listened to the music on my phone wireless, the volume was really low and I could not get it to turn up. So low I couldn't hear it.

And how does the Naida handle the wind noise or other background noise?

Thank you so much for your time. I sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. I'm going to the hearing aid office today and will probably order Naida's. Can you guys tell me what your's cost? I paid 2800 for the Uniton and that was without paying for the device that transmits the TV audio, or the loop you wear around your neck. That was loaned to me until I see if I want it.

One other question. Do you use wireless? I had a problem with Untion, which I understand uses the same wireless transmitters and loop as the Unitron. When I listened to the TV, the sound was okay. When I listened to the music on my phone wireless, the volume was really low and I could not get it to turn up. So low I couldn't hear it.

And how does the Naida handle the wind noise or other background noise?

Thank you so much for your time. I sincerely appreciate it.

The Naidas do well with wind noise and also noise control, but your mileage may vary (YMMV) It all depends how well the audi programs the aids.

I also use Naida aids (V UP) for 2.5 years, so I have had my issues, but still won't part with them. I love the wireless control with my FM transmitter/receivers. I also love the programming options with the choice between auto mode and programmable manaual modes. In additon, the water resistance does work, but you have to replace the filters every so often (inexpensive to free, depending on your audi-mine is free )

I hear so many positive things about Phonak, especially the Naidas. I think they will be my next aids unless my audi tells me they really aren't suited for me. I currently have Starkey DaVinci which I like too.

Anyway, what's the wireless stuff you're referring to?

I hear so many positive things about Phonak, especially the Naidas. I think they will be my next aids unless my audi tells me they really aren't suited for me. I currently have Starkey DaVinci which I like too.

I have Starkey DaVinci, too. It does pretty good job. I personally like the Widex, but I can't afford to buy two Widex which cost 6 thousand dollars. That was not nice.

One small drawback about my hearing aids are the sound beeps. The beeps warn me that the batteries are getting low. It makes me crazy sometimes.

Extra batteries will drain out if I put them in my car in hot days.

Marlee Matlin donated a lot of money to Starkey DaVinci Company. She should have donated to some deaf companies and even NAD (National Association of the Deaf). It's because Starkey DaVinic Company already has billions of dollars.

Phonak does a good job. Why it does not meet your needs?

I wanted a water resistant HA as I had to take my dog in all kind of weather and he took his time. I was told a water resistant HA was not strong enough for my hearing lost. I do not like the sound of the wind when I am driving!

I am getting new HA and I was told they will filter out back ground sounds better. I can't wait to wear my new HA and see if they really filter out back ground better than my old HA!

Me too agree. Naida handles wind and background noises very well and where I live there is a lot of loud noise due to traffic/overhead planes/etc. My lost is L-108 dB and R-105 dB. Cost almost $2000 each.

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. I hear so many positive things about Phonak, especially the Naidas. I think they will be my next aids unless my audi tells me they really aren't suited for me. I currently have Starkey DaVinci which I like too.

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. I hear so many positive things about Phonak, especially the Naidas. I think they will be my next aids unless my audi tells me they really aren't suited for me. I currently have Starkey DaVinci which I like too.

Do you have the Starkey DaVinci, too?

(I found it odd that your post is identical, word for word, of my earlier post, after the "Thanks ... I appreciate the advice.")

I wanted a water resistant HA as I had to take my dog in all kind of weather and he took his time. I was told a water resistant HA was not strong enough for my hearing lost. I do not like the sound of the wind when I am driving!

I am getting new HA and I was told they will filter out back ground sounds better. I can't wait to wear my new HA and see if they really filter out back ground better than my old HA!

I have severe loss, and was told that my current ones (the Naida S UP) should work until I can no longer get benefit from any HA, and they are water resistant.

I switched from Starkey to Phonak recently. I really like my Naida S III UP. Here are a few reasons that I choose.

My Phonak Naida:

(1) My audiologist adjusted my hearing aids using her computer in the office. It took about 15 minutes of sound adjustment.

(2) Her own judgement is nearly eliminated to find the right sounds for me.

(3) Her computer program saved the exact original settings before I changed the sound frequencies in case I don't like the new frequencies.

My Starkey DaVinci:

1) It does not come with a computer to set up the frequency settings.

2) It took 30 to 40 minutes for her to figure out what is the best frequency settings.

3) Missed many important background sounds.

4) Tired of going back to the office for another correct sound adjustments which charge on my bill for next appointment.

5) Starkey Company accepted Marlee Matlin's 1 or 2 million dollars donation even that the company has millions or billions of dollars.

Most hearing aid companies keeps 80 percent of money in the business. Twenty percent that go to foreign countries. Not even in the United States. Hearing aid manufacturers never donated to deaf communities for many years. That is so strange.

The connectivity from the naida to the iCom/fm is very good it has good wireless capabilities ..i use the iCom for my stethoscope for school and for the phone. The only downside is that it uses a lot of battery and it's a bit of a pain to remember to charge etc but other than that it's good:) Also the new naida spice version is apparently even better than the original naida so ask about that:)

The connectivity from the naida to the iCom/fm is very good it has good wireless capabilities ..i use the iCom for my stethoscope for school and for the phone. The only downside is that it uses a lot of battery and it's a bit of a pain to remember to charge etc but other than that it's good:) Also the new naida spice version is apparently even better than the original naida so ask about that:)

In case, you put your hearing aids in the "Hal-Hen - Super Dri-Aid" with the batteries in the jar. That's why it kills the batteries. Just keep the batteries out of the jar. ;)

In case, you put your hearing aids in the "Hal-Hen - Super Dri-Aid" with the batteries in the jar. That's why it kills the batteries. Just keep the batteries out of the jar. ;)

I don't use a dry aid..and I my batteries don't last long cuz of my program and the naida but I was talking more about the battery for the iCom..if you use it a lot in a day it doesn't last long...

Dri and Store electric dryer is really great and makes batteries last longer.

Dri and Store electric dryer is really great and makes batteries last longer.

Ugh. Can you show me the link for the store electric dryer?

Are you saying that you put your hearing aids in your pocket and put it in the dryer machine? I was thinking of that, but I know it is not... :giggle:

Ugh. Can you show me the link for the store electric dryer?

Are you saying that you put your hearing aids in your pocket and put it in the dryer machine? I was thinking of that, but I know it is not... :giggle:

No.... Just take out of my ear and put it in the Dri and Store. :lol:

I will find a link and post it. Just a minute.

Back