Hearies view on a CI kid... its a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly what sehl and I have spoken out against so frequently, and then been bashed for speaking out, and told that no one thinks of a CI in this way. Unfortunately,t here are too many educators out there in the mainstream who have never before encountered a deaf child, have to experience or course work in the methodology of deaf education, nor any understanding of the needs of the deaf student. Despite what some may want to beleive, this is a situation that occurs all to frequently. Then the child is underserved in the mainstream, and when they fall behind, they are referred out tothe deaf school and labeled a mainstream failure. It is a completely unjust treatment of deaf children. And those who refuse to believe that it happens every day allow it to continue by refusing to acknowledge it. :pissed:

I agree there with you Jillo and It's true, it just nobody wants to believe it.

Im hearing, and I believe being deaf is a gift.
Being able to use a language such as sign,
is something I wouldn't regret or want to change..

Amen!

What bothers me the most is that some people thinks that getting Ci would be a big help in making your life easier or living an independent life. Yea right whatever, I don't always need assistance, only when I need to. So, what big deal, I'm sure hearing people once a while need assistance when someone doesn't speak their language. Even cochlear implant people need assistance in recognize speech and sounds. Some people have failed to realize that no matter who you are, deaf, blind, hearing, or whatever, You can live life being independent.

Cochlear implants are not guarantee or do work for each person. The primary and purpose of life is not all about hearing sounds, it's about living your life for who you.

Amen!

What bothers me the most is that some people thinks that getting Ci would be a big help in making your life easier or living an independent life. Yea right whatever, I don't always need assistance, only when I need to. So, what big deal, I'm sure hearing people once a while need assistance when someone doesn't speak their language. Even cochlear implant people need assistance in recognize speech and sounds. Some people have failed to realize that no matter who you are, deaf, blind, hearing, or whatever, You can live life being independent.

Cochlear implants are not guarantee or do work for each person. The primary and purpose of life is not all about hearing sounds, t's about living your life for who you.

:gpost: And I might add that another purpose of life is to learn from each other in order to widen our persepctive to increase our understanding and acceptance of others. Diversity benefits us all.

And yet - when you say it in that kind of context, its as if you are suggesting that people (like myself) who have a CI have a problem with our identity as being deaf. Its almost like its a requirement that people be PROUD to be deaf....and I can't understand why that is. I'm deaf - its a biological fact- but it sure as heck ain't something I'm proud of, and I know many others (congenitally deaf or latened deaf) who feel the same way. I think that CI's are a personal/family decision and its nobody else's business to stick their noses in those decisions, especially when it doesn't effect them personally.

I've been attacked (both here and on other boards) for saying how successful my CI is, because it "fosters the impression that all CI implantees are as successful as me," and its almost as if I should HIDE the fact that I can hear again (at least to those within certain quarters of Deaf Culture,) lest others hear about it (no pun intended.)

Just what is "hearing normally" anyway? With my CI I can hear better in some situations than my boyfriend who is HEARING. I know some people who are considered profoundly deaf, and yet can use a regular telephone with their HA's..... there is such a vast spectrum of "hearing" that I don't think that anybody really hears "normally."

I totally agree with you in this entire post. I could go on with thoughts supporting your points. We are after all deaf people, and have a lot in common after all. But the point someone is making here, as I see it, is that CI is used by too many people as a instrument to make deaf people "normal". We all know this is a dangerous action, where a more than healty dosage of hope is put into this device.

This action causes damage to individuals, and the deaf society as well, as we have to use engergy to handle and take care of those individuals that have been hurt by this kind of hope.

That's why it makes sense to say "f**k CI" and "proud to be deaf", etc. It's nothing personal. I would suggest you to advocate a sober view of CI to those who need it, telling parents here facts, instead of bashing people who shows some resistance against misinformation and prejudices. I think your way to handle this not is the most clever one if you want a deaf society with less bashing.

Easy.....no need to get defensive. This si about the impression an educator gave of deaf children with CI, not specifically about you and how well your CI works.

I want to make sure that you aware that Neecy lost her hearing to deaf at age 9.

I want to make sure that you aware that Neecy lost her hearing to deaf at age 9.

I did not know the exact age at which neecy lost her hearing, but I did know that she was postligually deafened, yes. Thank you for the information.

I totally agree with you in this entire post. I could go on with thoughts supporting your points. We are after all deaf people, and have a lot in common after all. But the point someone is making here, as I see it, is that CI is used by too many people as a instrument to make deaf people "normal". We all know this is a dangerous action, where a more than healty dosage of hope is put into this device.

This action causes damage to individuals, and the deaf society as well, as we have to use engergy to handle and take care of those individuals that have been hurt by this kind of hope.

That's why it makes sense to say "f**k CI" and "proud to be deaf", etc. It's nothing personal. I would suggest you to advocate a sober view of CI to those who need it, telling parents here facts, instead of bashing people who shows some resistance against misinformation and prejudices. I think your way to handle this not is the most clever one if you want a deaf society with less bashing.

:gpost:

I agree with u..it is like what my hearing coworker told me over the summer about what one of her friends told her. Her friend asked her what we, deaf people, are doing to improve ourselves. That kind of view and attitude is what Crystal is referring to..that CIs make all of us "normal" or solve our "problems". That attitude needs to be thrown in the trash.

It also annoys me when people talk about Deafness and CI's in that way.

This woman on another message board informed me of the CI and I could get one on the National Health Service. So I told her exactly why I didn't want one and I never got another response from her after that.

I agree with u..it is like what my hearing coworker told me over the summer about what one of her friends told her. Her friend asked her what we, deaf people, are doing to improve ourselves. That kind of view and attitude is what Crystal is referring to..that CIs make all of us "normal" or solve our "problems". That attitude needs to be thrown in the trash.

AMEN!

What does CI have to do with being deaf?
One can't have CI and be "proud deaf"?? May I point out a deaf person with CI is still a deaf person.

Fuzzy

If you would have backed up and read my post you will see.
I will quote myself for you.

"But this is just my view."

And it is. I have no idea what its like to be deaf.
But if I was that would be my decision. It has nothing
to do with my point of view towards people with CI!!
Thats theirs and your choice!! Im not speaking bad at all
about it!! Some prefer to not get the CI and be deaf.
And some prefer to get the CI and yet they are still deaf
but just want to hear!! Or it was a parental choice!!

"Some prefer to not get the CI and be deaf.
And some prefer to get the CI and yet they are still deaf
but just want to hear!!"

You see that?
You should read everything spoken before you try to
point out something I already pointed out.

I second that.

"But the point someone is making here, as I see it, is that CI is used by too many people as a instrument to make deaf people "normal"."

What people?

Certainly not deaf adults who choose it for either themselves or for their children. Certainly not the many hearing adults I know who have chosen it for their children. So exactly who are you referrong to?

Certainly not the many hearing adults I know who have chosen it for their children. So exactly who are you referrong to?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............rick, you just can't see the forest for the trees. You and many other hearing parents have totally fallen for "your child will be able to function "normally" with CI (ie no 'terps, special ed, etc etc) That really is a BIG selling point. Especially with the parents that you know (I wouldn't assume that you would know too many TC parents)
And although the parents who are totally against Sign are getting pretty rare (YAY!) the "healthy normal" mentality in oralism is just so rampent. You just don't realize it, b/c you really don't know how to analyze things like media, language etc etc.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............rick, you just can't see the forest for the trees. You and many other hearing parents have totally fallen for "your child will be able to function "normally" with CI (ie no 'terps, special ed, etc etc) That really is a BIG selling point. Especially with the parents that you know (I wouldn't assume that you would know too many TC parents)
And although the parents who are totally against Sign are getting pretty rare (YAY!) the "healthy normal" mentality in oralism is just so rampent. You just don't realize it, b/c you really don't know how to analyze things like media, language etc etc.

:gpost:

:gpost: And I might add that another purpose of life is to learn from each other in order to widen our persepctive to increase our understanding and acceptance of others. Diversity benefits us all.

If I may add... Diversity does make things interesting.

"But the point someone is making here, as I see it, is that CI is used by too many people as a instrument to make deaf people "normal"."

What people?

Certainly not deaf adults who choose it for either themselves or for their children. Certainly not the many hearing adults I know who have chosen it for their children. So exactly who are you referrong to?

Wow, this certainly was a dull attempt to dicuss semantics. Time to get an education?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back