Hearies and deafies

I am an ASL user.
Well, I can share my experiences with you. If the events for deaf people, then I tend to go and search for old friends, and grab my time to chat with them. I do chat with new Deaf people if they know who my old friends are. I admit that I do not have time to chat with any learning ASL people because the place is not for me to teach them at the Deaf events. I don't mind teaching anyone who wants to learn ASL, usually at my work or a small group at a friends house. It's the same thing for Hearing people who do with one Deaf person vice versa.

That makes perfect sense and it's completely fine :)

Did any of you learned how to sign in the Deaf class in your area before attending the Deaf events?

Frisky Feline is correct that we don't have time to teach them to sign as it is a social event. We want to have time to chat with our friends and new friends who can sign fluently or almost fluently. This is the time away from hearing people to chat but if hearies can sign fluently, then they are welcome to sign with us for social chats.

So you and your hearing friends need to go to Deaf class and study ASL including Deaf Culture. If you are signing from online lessons but get all mix up with the wrong sign hands, then we will get ignore or sigh at you as you try to sign words with us. That would be a waste of time. Never let your friends come to the Deaf events if they don't know ASL. They will be left out just like we were left out in the hearing social or company or meetings.

Did any of you learned how to sign in the Deaf class in your area before attending the Deaf events?

Frisky Feline is correct that we don't have time to teach them to sign as it is a social event. We want to have time to chat with our friends and new friends who can sign fluently or almost fluently. This is the time away from hearing people to chat but if hearies can sign fluently, then they are welcome to sign with us for social chats.

So you and your hearing friends need to go to Deaf class and study ASL including Deaf Culture. If you are signing from online lessons but get all mix up with the wrong sign hands, then we will get ignore or sigh at you as you try to sign words with us. That would be a waste of time. Never let your friends come to the Deaf events if they don't know ASL. They will be left out just like we were left out in the hearing social or company or meetings.

So I take it you speak for all deaf people and not one deaf person wants to be involve with a hearing person at a deaf event. So what about the deaf person who invited us? Is she just inviting us to see us be ignored? I know enough to get around and they are learning. I started by learning simple words and I learned 585 words in one night. Like I said I'm very educated and I learn things very quickly. And being so educated I no for myself don't walk into something im not sure I can handle. I am all most fully deaf and in order for me to be more in the deaf world the events I'm invited to will help me. In my area Asl classes are $504 per level and the classes are only 6 weeks long twice a week. Definitely not worth that much money. She actually told me that this is a very welcoming group of people for the most part of hearies and want to invite them in. My question was concerning my hearing friends based on if bringing them going to be more they can handle as far as remaining my friend. Like I said to you before you bring something simple and positive and make it negative.

So I take it you speak for all deaf people and not one deaf person wants to be involve with a hearing person at a deaf event. So what about the deaf person who invited us? Is she just inviting us to see us be ignored? I know enough to get around and they are learning. I started by learning simple words and I learned 585 words in one night. Like I said I'm very educated and I learn things very quickly. And being so educated I no for myself don't walk into something im not sure I can handle.

Far be it from me to pick on spelling, but if you are as educated as you say, you should know that "no" in the context you have been using it over your many past posts is spelled "know".

I am all most fully deaf and in order for me to be more in the deaf world the events I'm invited to will help me. In my area Asl classes are $504 per level and the classes are only 6 weeks long twice a week. Definitely not worth that much money.

You were just complaining yesterday about not enough ASL classes in schools/college. Well, looks like you found one, but now you're not willing to spend the money? College is not free. What were you really expecting?

She actually told me that this is a very welcoming group of people for the most part of hearies and want to invite them in. My question was concerning my hearing friends based on if bringing them going to be more they can handle as far as remaining my friend. Like I said to you before you bring something simple and positive and make it negative.

Deaf people hang out with hearing people every day. Whether it's with family, friends, the workplace, shopping, whatever. We do like to have opportunities where we Deaf can just hang out and converse and not have to practice signing, and have to lipread. This is our chance to "let loose". It doesn't happen often, and I don't think you should begrudge us for that.

So I take it you speak for all deaf people and not one deaf person wants to be involve with a hearing person at a deaf event. So what about the deaf person who invited us? Is she just inviting us to see us be ignored? I know enough to get around and they are learning. I started by learning simple words and I learned 585 words in one night. Like I said I'm very educated and I learn things very quickly. And being so educated I no for myself don't walk into something im not sure I can handle. I am all most fully deaf and in order for me to be more in the deaf world the events I'm invited to will help me. In my area Asl classes are $504 per level and the classes are only 6 weeks long twice a week. Definitely not worth that much money. She actually told me that this is a very welcoming group of people for the most part of hearies and want to invite them in. My question was concerning my hearing friends based on if bringing them going to be more they can handle as far as remaining my friend. Like I said to you before you bring something simple and positive and make it negative.
I don't think you will find too many deaf people who would not recommend you take formal classes in ASL, rather than learning on the fly.

So yes, Bebonang actually does speak for quite a few of us.

(On the bolded, just a few of your "educated" errors. Too early in the morning for me to be completely thorough.)

Far be it from me to pick on spelling, but if you are as educated as you say, you should know that "no" in the context you have been using it over your many past posts is spelled "know".

You were just complaining yesterday about not enough ASL classes in schools/college. Well, looks like you found one, but now you're not willing to spend the money? College is not free. What were you really expecting?

Deaf people hang out with hearing people every day. Whether it's with family, friends, the workplace, shopping, whatever. We do like to have opportunities where we Deaf can just hang out and converse and not have to practice signing, and have to lipread. This is our chance to "let loose". It doesn't happen often, and I don't think you should begrudge us for that.

Well one I spell no or know and use it in any context purposely. Just like I can say " hey how r u doing" vs " hello how are you doing" either way I'm not illiterate. I taught my English, American lit, trig and bio class my freshman and years so I think I have a right to be a little lax.

Second the reason why I think it should be in middle high school and college is for the simple fact a private center will overcharge where is it a college only be around $200 semester. When you're in college you use your financial aid anyone that graduates college when they start working in their profession the company pays it back if you know how to do it right. And I'm not asking for the Asl to be placed in schools for my benefit since I graduated years ago.

Third why would I turned out invitation for me and my friends to go to a deaf event which I've been looking around for and since I only know a few people here and I have a medical condition so it makes it not safe to go alone and the point that they want to be there for me and was invited as well I don't see any wrong in it. But it gives me a chance to see the colors of our friendship. I keep a small circle and I have to know if I can count on them.

I hoping that it's a good experience for them. I am HoH and they think if I loss all hearing that we won't have a reason to be friends anymore. I want to show them we will still hang out but not doing what we normally. They ask if my hearing has gotten better and it's like they don't want to accept I'm losing my hearing.

In some cases, even without hearing issues, friends might need to be kept separate. Just because there are certain people who don't get along does not mean you lose friendships. You just have to be sensitive about certain people being together and make arrangements to work around it.

This this happens to all people.

I dont think it would be wrong. I do want to say that iam hearing and i have alot of deaf. By being around deaf ppl i learned the language and the culture

Sent from my LGMS323 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Did you go to a deaf event yet? I would like to hear about your experience.

I was called deafie when I younger by my ex brother and sisters and I hated that a lot . I still do hate the word.

Would you mind explaining, please, why do you hate this word?

me, I think it just an off-beat descriptive word - 'hearie', 'deafie',
like you describe certain pple by 'mom and pops', 'lil' kiddies' 'brudda' 'sista' etc..

Fuzzy

I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way but it seems like it's the older people that stay to only deaf community and don't want to be bothered with hearies. Is that because back in their day that's how it was?

It can also be because the older you are, the more you are set in your ways,
the more tired and uninterested in getting to know a new person/s.

Mind you, I am NOT saying everyone at older age is like that.
But some pple do prefer the peace and comfort of well know faces and settings they got used to over the years.

I know me and my friends, while not opposed to meeting new pple, we are so well set in our ways, became so close friends over our long years together,
we really have little interest in getting to know and befriending someone new like we did in our youth.

In other words - some pple might feel: 'why bother with difficult to understand, exhausting hearies if we are so comfortable and happy in each other, deaf company/'

- got what I mean ? :)

Fuzzy

This person sounds like someone who is gracious, welcoming, and social, someone who wanted to make you feel included and accepted in brand new social circle.
Please do not thank her or him by acting entitled - instead, be as gracious and thankful by letting your host having a great, carefree time with friends by NOT forcing her or him to give you language lesson during this meeting.
Otherwise everyone would be having interesting conversation except for your host who simply would be reduced to work while at 'party' :)

There is nothing wrong with showing a sign or two, sure, if the person you are talking to feels like doing so on her/his own,
however expecting anyone to cater to your needs or expectations "because they brought me with them" is very not polite, I am sorry.

Fuzzy

Would you mind explaining, please, why do you hate this word?

me, I think it just an off-beat descriptive word - 'hearie', 'deafie',
like you describe certain pple by 'mom and pops', 'lil' kiddies' 'brudda' 'sista' etc..

Fuzzy

From the time I first encountered the terms "hearie" and "deafie", which was on this forum, I have found them very annoying to say the least. They come through to me as an insulting "put down".

I do not use the other examples you gave either. And what is "pple"? I take it to be a shortened version of people.

I have experienced this... it depends on the group.
Ive had a group be welcoming the first visit and total asses the next visit.
Then Ive been to groups that are welcoming with open arms.... so its a 50/50 opportunity.

Ive also seen totally deaf people lose their friends just because they got a cochlear implant, they are so heartbroken over that, that a simple object can define a friendship.

When I first came to this forum I didn't like those terms either. Felt a bit of a put down. But over time, seeing how just about everyone uses it, I have come to accept it as slang and don't mind it anymore.

Back